Fantastic find!(more tubes)

• Members

The reason the military needed heavy-duty tubes is because of the need for reliability. Stuff had to work, or people could literally die.

When you're mounting tube electronics into things like missiles and jet aircraft, it has to be able to take a lickin' and keep on tickin'... I'd much rather have old MIL-SPEC tubes than new ones, all else being equal.

Congrats on the new (old) tubes!

Thanks, Phil! I missed that post. You basically got me started on this and now I`m "rolling" them.

• Members

Transmitting tube?

He had me scared for a second..wouldn`t the radioactive ones be "put aside" and not sold as surplus? I mean, I bought them from someone who bought them, etc. They ARE the BEST tubes you can buy, period. I should take a picture of this one Sylvania I have that`s just ridiculously overbuilt. Great tube, but wow. Nothing beats a good Raytheon, though. I cannot find a better sounding tube.

• Members
Years ago I bought an old Gibson tube amp 1958 GA6.

the tubes were Sylvania but they had been painted black. My amp tech called them war surplus blackout tubes and said they had been used in military field radios, painted so the glow could not be seen at night.

That makes sense. Sylvania made the most hardcore tubes I`ve ever seen.I have several, but the military Sylvanias are the best built of all of the brands.

• Members

Most people look at those kind and say "that's not a tube, where's the glass". :idk:

Yeah they use ceramic instead of glass for shielding and other nefarious purposes.

Out 500kw LF transmitters had tubes that were 48" long and weighed 50lbs.

The sockets and associated circuitry was all solver plated straps, bolts, etc.

We didn't maintenance with tools similar to the ones for working on automobiles.

12ax7, 6v6gt, of course. No name brand.

I wonder if they are using something along the lines of a vintage Champ circuit in those... it probably wouldn't be exact (sounds like you have a solid state rectifier), but I'm guessing the circuits are similar. I may see if I can track down a schematic and take a look...

• Members

I wonder if they are using something along the lines of a vintage Champ circuit in those... it probably wouldn't be exact (sounds like you have a solid state rectifier), but I'm guessing the circuits are similar. I may see if I can track down a schematic and take a look...

Yes, it has a SS rectifier for sure. I like the amp, plenty of chime, but I think it compresses to easy.

• Members

Yeah they use ceramic instead of glass for shielding and other nefarious purposes.

Out 500kw LF transmitters had tubes that were 48" long and weighed 50lbs.

The sockets and associated circuitry was all solver plated straps, bolts, etc.

We didn't maintenance with tools similar to the ones for working on automobiles.

Biggest thing I've dealt with is FM 5K transmitter and old AM Gates BC-1 that was all tube. Nautel spoiled me with their 1K all solid state AM transmitter. Small market radio is kinda' fun until it isn't. :lol:

• Members

Biggest thing I've dealt with is FM 5K transmitter and old AM Gates BC-1 that was all tube. Nautel spoiled me with their 1K all solid state AM transmitter. Small market radio is kinda' fun until it isn't. :lol:

Yeah I think SS work up to a certain wattage, after which tubes take over due to the large voltages involved.

I used to use a fluorescent light bulb to check the transmitters & couplers for RF leaks!

• Members
I bought one of these from Monoprice. 5 watt tweedish clone. Would NOS tubes give it more mojo?

6117051.jpg

I almost bought one of those before I got out of the last band I was in. My main function was keyboards but I also played guitar and the sound guy was mic-ing my little '59 Gibson Skylark amp. It sounded great but I was always concerned about my little vintage amp getting damaged in transport etc..

Does that thing sound pretty good?

I almost bought one of those before I got out of the last band I was in. My main function was keyboards but I also played guitar and the sound guy was mic-ing my little '59 Gibson Skylark amp. It sounded great but I was always concerned about my little vintage amp getting damaged in transport etc..

Does that thing sound pretty good?

I haven't tried one yet, but a lot of people really seem to like them. They're super inexpensive by tube amp standards...

Archived