Modular Guitar

gitnoob

• Members

So if you've been closely following my Reboot thread, you know I made a CBG. Such a simple thing. Basically a box on a stick. But that's the essence of any guitar.

The first thing that struck me when I made the neck was how resonant it was. I mean if you whack a 1x2 piece of maple, you'll get some response, but if you remove a bunch of wood where you plan to attach a box, and then whack it, that stick really sings.

So that led to a few thoughts. Maybe I underestimated the contribution of the neck to tone. Maybe a neck-through design would be viable for an acoustic.

OK, put that on the back-burner for a bit. I needed to finish my CBG, and then I want to offer the kids some amplification options.

So you basically have the following choices:

No amplification. Or rather, just the box as an acoustic resonator for amplification. That's what I have now, and it's pretty responsive for a small plywood box.

Piezo disc stuck to the sound board.

Piezo bar under the saddle.

Various combinations of magnetic pickups. Single coil, humbuckers, neck vs bridge, slanted vs straight, etc.

I could make a BUNCH of guitars to demonstrate the differences. Or maybe I could make one modular guitar. Hmm.

A couple of other ingredients to this thought soup: the ubiquitous Fender-style bolt-on neck, and the aesthetics of Yamaha's ubercool Silent Guitar.

And one more thing. I've become addicted to CAD. I even designed the CBG that way.

41a522e0f63e806c9c7d2bc9ee6bfe00.thumb.png.bee12d5ad304d6d41b3ac2dc49eae627.png

• Members

The basic idea is to take a bolt-on neck and turn it into just about any type of guitar you want. So the first components I prototyped were a modular base, and couple of plug-in pickup modules -- one for humbuckers and one for tele-style single-coil pickups.

Still a work in progress, but the base looks something like this....

It'll fit in a cigar box. You can add "wings" to it a la the Silent Guitar. Just a platform for experimentation for now.

759969cad6571a2a783f8f60562c73ce.thumb.png.8e5336f6b3a02520913fa8509a1bf265.png

• Members

Never considered a hurdy-gurdy, but now you've got me thinking about it. One of my other hobbies is robotics, and I'm always looking for ways to combine hobbies.

I made a half-assed attempt at combining robotics with wood working. I was building a little robot arm from a collection of Chinese parts, and there was a part missing. So I carved a replacement from a piece of mahogany. (Attached)

That got me thinking about making a full-blown automaton out of wood. Still on my to-do list.

But building a hurdy-gurdy would be in the same ballpark, and it would bring another hobby into the loop!

547d628bc9f5ef6ba7f5c400a05891ad.thumb.jpg.c5cba7fa95bda7ebdc360bd6cffaa126.jpg

Archived