Fatigueless alloy...

1001gear

• Members
The plains are 14, 18, 22. The wounds are standard 12 set 32, 42, 52. I never liked wound thirds except on Classical guitars. Reason being they'll break before you can get a reasonable bend out of 'em. Strat thirds were originally wound. That's the reason for that dumb magnet stagger.

i want to get out of the habit of bending like a blues player so i may try a wound any way thanks for the tips .

i didn`t know about the

Strat thirds were originally wound. That's the reason for that dumb magnet stagger.

you learn something every day ,cheers

• Members
One important thing and I'm sure Freeman will agree here. You'll have to widen the nut slots and there's no going back.

Actually, typically you won't. There's usually enough "slop" (for want of a better word) in nut slots to go up a gauge or two. I'd try it first and only mess with the nut if necessary.

• Members

Actually, typically you won't. There's usually enough "slop" (for want of a better word) in nut slots to go up a gauge or two. I'd try it first and only mess with the nut if necessary.

trust me. I had to use a doubled sandpaper just to get to 11s.

• Members

are you mixing up classical with a steel strung acoustic, both my classicals have plain nylon strings for the top 3 and wound strings for the bottom 3

No. Look into Savarez. They have nylon wound thirds AND seconds. No more dead third string.

going of track a bit here ' date='11`s feel nice for bending on my jaguar ,little bit tough on strats though [/quote']

I tend to run my 24" scale guitars with one string gauge higher / thicker than I put on my standard scale (24.75" / 25.5") guitars too. I find that if I use the same gauges on them that I use on everything else, they tend to feel a little too loose and floppy.

• Members
trust me. I had to use a doubled sandpaper just to get to 11s.

Never had a problem on multiple guitars. I'm using 10-52's at the moment and I could easily go heavier without modifying the slots. I'll trust my own experience thanks. The takeaway is try it first before you modify with the nut. YMMV.

• Members

Never had a problem on multiple guitars. I'm using 10-52's at the moment and I could easily go heavier without modifying the slots. I'll trust my own experience thanks. The takeaway is try it first before you modify with the nut. YMMV.

The gauges in question are 14, 18, 22, 32, 42, 52 on a Strat type electric.

• Members
The gauges in question are 14' date=' 18, 22, 32, 42, 52 on a Strat type electric.[/quote']

It doesn't matter what the gauges are or, for that matter, what the guitar is. The takeaway is the same: Test before you start modifying the nut. My B (second) string is a 13. It fits in the E (first) string slot easily. I know because I've tried it. I have no doubt a 14 would fit as well.

• Members

I tend to run my 24" scale guitars with one string gauge higher / thicker than I put on my standard scale (24.75" / 25.5") guitars too. I find that if I use the same gauges on them that I use on everything else, they tend to feel a little too loose and floppy.

i don`t mind the looser feel of some guitars, surprisingly my jag has come up with some of my best rock/blues recordings of live gigs and studio stuff .

i don`t mind the looser feel of some guitars, surprisingly my jag has come up with some of my best rock/blues recordings of live gigs and studio stuff .

The issue I have with it is that it makes me have to adjust my playing touch and how hard I fret - if I don't and the strings are too light, I tend to push things out of tune and mess up intonation on chords too easily. That's why I generally run 9's on my longer-scale guitars (and occasionally 10's) but always use 10's on my 24" scale Fenders.

• Members

The issue I have with it is that it makes me have to adjust my playing touch and how hard I fret - if I don't and the strings are too light, I tend to push things out of tune and mess up intonation on chords too easily. That's why I generally run 9's on my longer-scale guitars (and occasionally 10's) but always use 10's on my 24" scale Fenders.

i think 9`s/ 10`s at concert pitch are in the range of being a bit unstable for the reasons you `ve given. i moved up to 11`s to calm my vibrato down ,when i listened back to recordings with 10`s the vibrato was too big and very cliche a bit like malmsteens vibrato ,yuk! and with 11`s the strings stay where they`re supposed too be and feel very positive, i`m looking forward to trying 14`s out when i get round to it,no bending ere ha ha ,to think when i first started i used 7`s and 8`s lol, i think Billy Gibbons is 7`s ,think i might rig one of my guitars up with 7`s and see what it`s like.

Archived