Sign in to follow this  
nedezero1

House approves anti-LGBT discrimination Equality Act

The admin official quoted referred to some “poison pills” in the bill, wonder what those are specifically.

Posted (edited)

The Democrats, knowing that even on the slim chance McConnell even brings this to a vote, it will fail in the Senate, are just playing politics and playing to their base.

There is a popular school of thought that thinks that the Democrats passing bills like this one, showing the Republicans as obstructionists, and showing the people they're trying to do the work the people elected them to do, will play well in the 2020 elections.

There are many factors that will be at play in 2020, and I don't know how much impact these kinds of actions will have. But I believe it can influence a few voters.

Edited by wasgtrjones

The admin official quoted referred to some “poison pills” in the bill' date=' wonder what those are specifically.[/quote']

I haven't read it, but from I'm understanding it requires some people to partake in other people's fantasies and delusions. I.E "gender identity".

Stuff like that.

• Like 1

You'd have to ask the 173 reps (all from your side of the aisle) why they disapproved.

I'm guessing you disapprove; enlighten us to your reasons.

I'll never disapprove of equal treatment.

I'll always disapprove of forcing people to partake in the fantasies of others.

I haven't read it, but from I'm understanding it requires some people to partake in other people's fantasies and delusions. I.E "gender identity".

Stuff like that.

Your political party is steeped in fantasies and delusions about the baby Jesus.

• Like 2

The Democrats, knowing that even on the slim chance McConnell even brings this to a vote, it will fail in the Senate, are just playing politics and playing to their base.

There is a popular school of thought that thinks that the Democrats passing bills like this one, showing the Republicans as obstructionists, and showing the people they're trying to do the work the people elected them to do, will play well in the 2020 elections.

There are many factors that will be at play in 2020, and I don't know how much impact these kinds of actions will have. But I believe it can influence a few voters.

What will play well is them passing bills on issues the people elected them to address.

Is this one of them? For some, no doubt.

Will the Republican House take up ANY of them? Very few, I would imagine.

But they still need to do it

That bill is ghey..... literally.

But I’m more interested if the LGBTQ community has reinstated the Q word. Or if it is okay to be said by members of the LGBTQ community only. Like the N word is okay for African Americans only.

My writing depends on this info. Because I am desperately clinging on to my last mirage of relevancy.........

• Like 2

Stuff like that.

Please explain how it forces people to partake.

Posted (edited)

Here is the bill: https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...se-bill/5/text

Here is the summary:

This bill prohibits discrimination based on sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity in areas including public accommodations and facilities, education, federal funding, employment, housing, credit, and the jury system. Specifically, the bill defines and includes sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity among the prohibited categories of discrimination or segregation.

The bill expands the definition of public accommodations to include places or establishments that provide (1) exhibitions, recreation, exercise, amusement, gatherings, or displays; (2) goods, services, or programs; and (3) transportation services.

The bill allows the Department of Justice to intervene in equal protection actions in federal court on account of sexual orientation or gender identity.

The bill prohibits an individual from being denied access to a shared facility, including a restroom, a locker room, and a dressing room, that is in accordance with the individual's gender identity.

The last sentence above is sure to cause some consternation, at the very least.

Here is where it restricts the free exercise of religion:

SEC. 1107. CLAIMS.

“The Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993 (42 U.S.C. 2000bb et seq.) shall not provide a claim concerning, or a defense to a claim under, a covered title, or provide a basis for challenging the application or enforcement of a covered title.”.

Edited by williegoat

I'll never disapprove of equal treatment.

I'll always disapprove of forcing people to partake in the fantasies of others.

It may appear as fantasy to you but for those who experience it, it is very real.

I don't quite get the "forcing people to partake" bit of your post.

Posted (edited)

It may appear as fantasy to you but for those who experience it, it is very real.

I think he’s upset that while can keep believing it’s a fantasy, that he may not be allowed to force that belief upon others in the workplace and such

Edited by Vito Corleone

I think he’s upset that while can keep believing it’s a fantasy, that he may not be allowed to force that belief upon others in the workplace and such

Some people aren't happy unless they have something irrelevant to be upset about.

baby-dance

Im so glad of this. Im a small guy, just 5'8, and my man is a big black 6'8 guy, and he'sr eally gentl\e with me..OMG he's so huge, but even though he says he would like to get rough and basically drive his full massive 11 inch length and massive girth to the hilt, he respects my limits and is really gentle.

Im so glad of this. Im a small guy' date=' just 5'8, and my man is a big black 6'8 guy, and he'sr eally gentl\e with me..OMG he's so huge, but even though he says he would like to get rough and basically drive his full massive 11 inch length and massive girth to the hilt, he respects my limits and is really gentle.[/quote']

Thanks for sharing.

So, would this make it illegal to challenge a 6'4" 275 lb guy who plays a team sport and wants to call himself a "woman" to get an athletic scholarship to a state university's women's team?

Does it make it illegal to have any legal division at all between men and women?

:idk:

Here is the bill: https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...se-bill/5/text

Here is the summary:

The last sentence above is sure to cause some consternation, at the very least.

Here is where it restricts the free exercise of religion:

Eh, they have co-ed bathrooms in Europe and it works okay. Are we not grown up enough to handle it?

• Like 1

So, would this make it illegal to challenge a 6'4" 275 lb guy who plays a team sport and wants to call himself a "woman" to get an athletic scholarship to a state university's women's team?

Does it make it illegal to have any legal division at all between men and women?

See this is what's going to kill us before climate change.

If we can't even figure out "boys" and "girls" anymore, we're doomed.

Your political party is steeped in fantasies and delusions about the baby Jesus.

That's all you got?

A lot of democrats....especially minorities identity as Christians/Catholics.

See it goes like this....

Onelife says "I'm an aardvark."

Ned says, "no you're a human, but if you want to identify as an aardvark, then you're free to do so."

Onelife says "no Ned, you have to identify me as an aardvark too...'cuz I do, and you're a bigot if you don't."

See now?

• Like 2

Eh, they have co-ed bathrooms in Europe and it works okay. Are we not grown up enough to handle it?

If the bill addressed only "grown-ups" and only restrooms, it would be a different matter. However this bill includes children's locker rooms and dressing rooms, at any public school or public swimming pool, etc.

• Like 1

Trump

pageant dressing area

SHRIEK!

Ned says, "no you're a human, but if you want to identify as an aardvark, then you're free to do so."

Onelife says "no Ned, you have to identify me as an aardvark too...'cuz I do, and you're a bigot if you don't."

See now?

Your specious logic suggests that if people call you names, you have to do what they say.

in what way does that force you to do anything?

Sounds like you're just making it up as you go along.

• Like 1

Trump

pageant dressing area

SHRIEK!

Nice work if you can get it, huh.

😀

Four women who competed in the 1997 Miss Teen USA beauty pageant said Donald Trump walked into the dressing room while contestants — some as young as 15 — were changing.

“I remember putting on my dress really quick because I was like, ‘Oh my god, there’s a man in here,’” said Mariah Billado, the former Miss Vermont Teen USA.

Trump, she recalled, said something like, “Don’t worry, ladies, I’ve seen it all before.”

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/kendalltaggart/teen-beauty-queens-say-trump-walked-in-on-them-changing

however because of the campaign by women to make false accusations about Trump is well-known perhaps we should see what the Donald himself has to say on this topic.

“You know they’re standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women. And so I sort of get away with things like that.”

Oops...busted!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-former-miss-arizona-tasha-dixon-naked-undressed-backstage-howard-stern-a7357866.html

Posted (edited)

If the bill addressed only "grown-ups" and only restrooms, it would be a different matter. However this bill includes children's locker rooms and dressing rooms, at any public school or public swimming pool, etc.

This again?

So the kid who believes themselves to be a boy, dresses as a boy, goes by “Johnny”, and by all outward appearances is a boy wants to use the boys bathroom.

Who, exactly, do you think is going to jump over the wall when the kid is sitting on the toilet and notice their isn’t a penis on the body?

What is it you are afraid is going to happen?

i believe far more trouble and harm is liable to be caused to the kid and everyone else by forcing the kid to use the girls room.

Or would you like the school to force the kid to wear dresses, long hair, painted fingernails and go by Jane, too?

Edited by Vito Corleone
  • Like 1

I wonder if the people most freaked out by this (not naming names here) have some latent ‘tendencies’ they’re dealing with.

So let’s be kind here; shall we?

• Like 1

Nice work if you can get it, huh.

😀

Four women who competed in the 1997 Miss Teen USA beauty pageant said Donald Trump walked into the dressing room while contestants — some as young as 15 — were changing.

“I remember putting on my dress really quick because I was like, ‘Oh my god, there’s a man in here,’” said Mariah Billado, the former Miss Vermont Teen USA.

Trump, she recalled, said something like, “Don’t worry, ladies, I’ve seen it all before.”

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/kendalltaggart/teen-beauty-queens-say-trump-walked-in-on-them-changing

however because of the campaign by women to make false accusations about Trump is well-known perhaps we should see what the Donald himself has to say on this topic.

“You know they’re standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women. And so I sort of get away with things like that.”

Oops...busted!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-former-miss-arizona-tasha-dixon-naked-undressed-backstage-howard-stern-a7357866.html

I dunno. I can't speak for anyone else, but if my daughter were in a Miss Teen USA pageant, I think I'd be much more comfortable with, say, Wendy Carlos walking in on the girls while they were dressing than I would Donald Trump. Wouldn't everyone?

Seriously, folks. Why does this tranny-in-the-bathroom thing freak you all out so much? :idk:

I wonder if I could identify as a woman long enough to have valid opinion on abortion.

• Like 3

I wonder if I could identify as a woman long enough to have valid opinion on abortion.

why bother when Republicans and conservatives seem perfectly fine with the idea of one group of people making all the rules for everyone else not like them?

Y'all already have the whole world figured out and know what's best for everyone, it seems! :thu:

I dunno. I can't speak for anyone else, but if my daughter were in a Miss Teen USA pageant, I think I'd be much more comfortable with, say, Wendy Carlos walking in on the girls while they were dressing than I would Donald Trump. Wouldn't everyone?

I would prefer that adult males not enter any space where minor females are undressed.

Seriously, folks. Why does this tranny-in-the-bathroom thing freak you all out so much? :idk:

This freaks me out.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"7be5248852aec0a00ad84eb6e2254560.jpg","data-attachmentid":32521686}[/ATTACH]

I would prefer that adult males not enter any space where minor females are undressed.

Mr. Trump apparently doesn't agree.

But, last time I checked, this was generally forbidden by law regardless of which bathrooms people use.

But, last time I checked, this was generally forbidden by law regardless of which bathrooms people use.

This bill would change that. That is the problem.

The bill prohibits an individual from being denied access to a shared facility, including a restroom, a locker room, and a dressing room, that is in accordance with the individual's gender identity.

This bill would change that. That is the problem.

Not really. Kids and adults mixing it up in public locker rooms and dressing rooms isn't very common.

Stuff like that.

You don't have a gender identity? That's interesting. Do you consider yourself an 'it'?

• Like 1

Im so glad of this. Im a small guy' date=' just 5'8, and my man is a big black 6'8 guy, and he'sr eally gentl\e with me..OMG he's so huge, but even though he says he would like to get rough and basically drive his full massive 11 inch length and massive girth to the hilt, he respects my limits and is really gentle.[/quote']

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":32521696}[/ATTACH]

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You don't have a gender identity? That's interesting. Do you consider yourself an 'it'?

Sex (gender) is assigned during gestation and is unalterable.

Edited by williegoat

Men can have valid opinions on abortion.

What's with the fantasy scenario you think that you need to be a woman to have a valid opinion.

is the code word "valid" the key to your formulation?

See now?

thanks for the reply

I understand what you are saying, however, there is a big difference between a human and an aardvark - not so much of a difference between genders of the same species.

The real question is... how much of gender identity is physical and how much is mental?

The outside observer only sees the physical part. It would be a sign of respect to accept the way one self identifies.

There will always be those who abuse a system - usually for some sort of financial gain - but for those who are genuine about their feelings, this is an important issue.

This freaks me out.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"7be5248852aec0a00ad84eb6e2254560.jpg","data-attachmentid":32521686}[/ATTACH]

It does look like a gender changer.

Irrelevant to gender identity.

That's the physical part - we are complex beings.

There are people who are sexually attracted to people of the same sex. We accept them as they are and no longer persecute them.

There are people who self-identify as something different than your accepted norm. If they do not cause harm to others then there is no reason not to respect them as they see themselves.

Even assuming that’s true for the sake of argument—

if there is a kid who is born with a vagina who insists they are nonetheless a boy and lives their life as a boy and the parents agree and want their child raised as a boy—

—what business is it of the government to step in and try to dictate otherwise?

once again—supposedly small government conservatives banding together in order to use the power of the government to tell other people how to live their lives.

I just dont get it.

That's the physical part - we are complex beings.

There are people who are sexually attracted to people of the same sex. We accept them as they are and no longer persecute them.

There are people who self-identify as something different than your accepted norm. If they do not cause harm to others then there is no reason not to respect them as they see themselves.

I do not deny anyone their feelings or beliefs, but I believe that women and children deserve privacy and respect. We should allow them a space where they can feel safe.

• Like 1

I do not deny anyone their feelings or beliefs, but I believe that women and children deserve privacy and respect. We should allow them a space where they can feel safe.

Which is precisely the point of the law.

Even assuming that’s true for the sake of argument—

if there is a kid who is born with a vagina who insists they are nonetheless a boy and lives their life as a boy and the parents agree and want their child raised as a boy—

—what business is it of the government to step in and try to dictate otherwise?

once again—supposedly small government conservatives banding together in order to use the power of the government to tell other people how to live their lives.

I just dont get it.

My above answer applies here as well.

Posted (edited)

Which is precisely the point of the law.

No, the law prohibits anyone from securing a safe, private space within any public space.

We owe women and children protection.

Edited by williegoat

We’re getting closer to an authoritarian nation all the time.

Conservatives will have everyone carrying their proof of citizenship papers with them and their birth certificate for gender ID.

Let’s cut to the chase and just get our number tattooed on our arms and be done with it.

Herr Drumpf approves.