Update Win XP before it's too late...

I don't think so... it sounds like there's a pretty serious issue with the Remote Desktop component - one that doesn't require user action in order to allow a hacker access. That's very serious, and why they're releasing a critical update, in spite of the fact that XP is past its end of support date.

But it's not just XP users who need to be concerned... according to the article:

The vulnerability affects several Windows products including Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP. Of those, only Server 2003 and XP are completely out of support. Windows 8 and newer are not affected.

So if you're running any of those operating systems, you really should look into this security update and get it installed ASAP. That's my advice.

Interestingly, Windows Vista isn't mentioned - but XP and Windows 7 are...

Thanks for bringing this to our attention 1001gear - I know some of us still use some of those operating systems on our older computers.

• Members

No problem. I read the bulletin and it did sound important. I use windows seven and have always disabled remote desktop.

My version always fails the monthly rollups. The dot net framework updates usually stick though. Still, it's been a while since I've gotten any security updates and i can't recall if they all took.

I'm also wary of Microsoft anymore. Seems like a convenient way to funnel the stragglers into Win 10.

Archived