Picks

bigald18

• Members

I've used them, Al. I think it's a kind of novel idea that would give a player an easy-on-the-thumb entry into using thumb picks. But, once a person evolves the use of one he or she will quickly learn they are too flimsy to be driven very hard. The thumb pick is a hard sell but once a person commits to learning how to use it there's no going back. The Herco would not be the choice of an experienced user of thumb picks.

Now, Fred Kelly makes his Speed and Slick Pick series in Delrin nylon. I broke into using the thumb pick some years back after buying the Slick Pick from him. It took me less than a week to become accustomed to using it. I stayed with that pick for about a year. From there I moved to the standard polycarbonate 1mm picks. Delrin doesn't put a hurt on the thumb like the poly picks do. But, after achieving deft use of the Speed Pick I found it a bit flimsy for certain pieces and that prompted me to use the poly picks. Now I use a Planet Waves tortoise 1mm, or any other brand because they're all 1mm, right out of the package without any preferential shaping.

• Members

The only reason I'm trying is because my old hands can no longer grip a flat pick for any length of time. They always turn in my hands, and I've heard that the thumb pick part will prevent that from happening. For fingerpicking I use bare fingers. On banjo, I use fingerpicks. lol

• Members

I've tried the Herco version but they didn't work for me. The angle is wrong and the pick tends to snag on an up stroke. I've had better luck with the skinny Speed Picks, preferably the thinner the better: https://fredkellypicks.com/product-category/speed/. I wear one occasionally for playing bass. But I still have the same problem on the up stroke.

• Members
The only reason I'm trying is because my old hands can no longer grip a flat pick for any length of time. They always turn in my hands, and I've heard that the thumb pick part will prevent that from happening. For fingerpicking I use bare fingers. On banjo, I use fingerpicks. lol

Then, yes, the Herco would be a great assist in keeping the pick where it belongs. Good idea. I use the 1mm poly picks for that (flat pick), but it requires some focused attack to do right. The Herco, because of its flexibility, would be better suited for that.

• Members

Can't help, Al, sorry. I finger-pick with my nails pretty much exclusively. Occasional fingertip stuff on soft and gentle songs. The only time I use a pick is on my 12 string (which I don't play often - and often when I do I use my thumbnail rather than a pick)) and then I use a rubber pick I made from the end of a door stop wedge.

• Members
Anyone ever use the combination thumb-flarpicks that are made by Herco and Kelly? How d you like them?

I have tried those and didn't care for them. Most of the time I just use my thumb and bare nail.

For my mandolin, I bought a Blue Chip TD 40, amazing.

If you have it in your budget, look into the Blue Chip thumb picks and I know you will love it. Smooth as slick.

40 bucks:eek2:

I'm having my name engraved on my next blue-chip pick.

https://shop.bluechippick.net/categories/Thumb-Pick/

• Members

When I had a thumb injury I put some of this thin double- sided tape on the grip third of the pick on each side. It might be useful for you, maybe in combination with a Herco.

You can probably find similar in a smaller roll, but this stuff is really good.

https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Glues_and_Adhesives/Tapes_and_Adhesives/Double-stick_Tape.html

• Members
Oh come on! $40 for a thumb pick? That's obscene.

Yep, I wholly agree.

I buy the 1mm polycarbonate Planet Waves tortoise thumb picks at retail stores and they run about $4.00 for a pack of 5. It's been about 3 years since I did that because they simply don't wear out. I had one break from what I suspect was age-deterioration. It was that or it died rather than spend another second on my ugly thumb.

Guitarists can be very easy to convince a product is worth the cost the seller retails it at. Flat picks get a lot of love from folks who just can't live (play) without them and the makers exploit them. When I was learning the Fender Light, Medium and Heavy picks were all our influential artists used because that's all there was out there for love or money. Then came love, and money, and makers well aware of it. Blue Chip is one. There are others.

The thumb pick does not have the same set of dynamics of use a flat pick does, though, and the Herco design can make gripping problems a thing of the past. I would not say that a normal thumb pick can as well because they're thick and inflexible. Of them, Fred Kelly's yellow Delrin Slick Pick thumb pick would be the best candidate to practice with because the Delrin nylon is quite flexible.

• Members
Then' date=' yes, the Herco would be a great assist in keeping the pick where it belongs. Good idea. I use the 1mm poly picks for that (flat pick), but it requires some focused attack to do right. The Herco, because of its flexibility, would be better suited for that.[/quote']

I'm not sure. For me, even the thickest Herco thumb picks were too flexible to stay on my thumb without shifting around. The Speed Picks were better in that regard.

Archived