Bass for beginner

tutu10

• Members

I'm a total noob looking to learn bass and trying to figure out what guitar to get.

On one hand I don't want to spend too much, as I'm just a beginner... On the other hand, I don't want to buy a piece of junk (and would like something that would still be ok if I reach intermediate level).

Research has been a real headache...

I figured Squier would be respectable, but everyone seems to say to steer clear of the affinity basses.

I hear mixed things about ibanez.

Yamaha seems mostly positive.

I also hear some good things about Harley Benton, but not sure whether that's because they are actually good or just surprisingly un-junky for the price.

Looked at second hand guitars, but they seem almost as expensive as buying new.

Really appreciate your recommendations.

Thank you.

• Moderators

Welcome to the madness that is being a musician. In order to better assist you, could you tell us a few things...like your budget, do you have an amp, how tall you are [will help point you to long or short scale basses], where you are located...

Not knowing where you have already looked, I suggest you check e-Bay and Reverb.com for used instruments. Since you are starting out, I will only suggest 4 string basses, and pending your responses, I will advise you to research and understand basic terms like action, round wound vs flat wound strings, active vs passive electronics, maple vs rosewood fret board...

• Members

I'm going to assume you're in Europe since Harley Benton gear doesn't crop up in the US very often. It's essentially house brand gear and it might be okay or it might be crap. Affinity is the bottom rung of the Squier range so yes, you'd be well advised to avoid it. There's other Squier gear that's perfectly good. I haven't heard any negatives about Ibanez gear in general, although some folks don't like specific models. Yamaha makes decent gear at most price points. Peavey makes a decent bass too. Is there an actual music store near you where you can try out whatever bass(es) strikes your fancy? Unless you already know what you want and you're just price shopping, buying online isn't really a great idea IMHO, especially for a beginner.

• Moderators

Seems to me that it's actually hard to find gear that's actually crappy these days. CNC machines make the bodies and necks consistently decent. The electronics can still be sketchy, or not wired up properly, but that can happen even in higher-end instruments, though it's far less likely.

I'm not familiar with Affinity, so I have no opinion there. I've never heard of Harley Benton. I have a Squier Strat sitting beside me as I type, and it's a decent guitar, so I asume that the basses are, too. I have an Ibanez GSR 200 bass, about as entry-level as it gets, and it did me fine on tour. As DeepEnd noted, lots of companies make adequate, inexpensive instruments. It's hard to go wrong.

As daddymack said, it's a good idea to get yourself to a music store and try out as many basses as you can, to see what suits you at this stage. For instance, I have found Fender Precision-style basses to have a thicker neck than I am comfortable with, and Jazz-style bass necks too narrow. Those are probably the two most popular basses in the world, so obviously, lots of people like them. My Ibanez neck is just a bit wider than a Jazz, but enough that I find it comfortable.

My opinion is that how the bass feels in your hands, how it plays, are the most important things. All of the electronics can be modified or replaced, if necessary, but that shouldn't be an issue while you're learning to play, and an amp's tone controls can compensate for a lot in terms of sound, but nothing can compensate for the way the bass feels and plays. Although, a good setup can make an amazing difference there, too!

So get out and find the instrument that feels right to you, then learn to play it. And have fun, because we sure as heck ain't getting rich!

Archived