Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Tweedbucket

So camera guys, what are you shooting these days?

They are saying that the DSLR's day are over because mirrorless is the new trend, but dang it, I have a bazillion good lenses for the DSLR and I'm not going to quit anytime soon. In fact, I'm eyeballing a new Nikon D500. So who are 'they' and why are they doing this to us? :cry:

Currently own a D750 which is pretty sweet in it's own right.

What cha running?? :confused2: and phoast some pics. :0

Ok well :0 Here is something I took with my new Samchung galazy work phone of my bosses bench. He manages 14 people and doesn't have a clue what anyone is doing. :confused2:

vBa8EJx.jpg

Ok, and then here are some of our top secret internal plans for our new product launch. They are for sale for $5 if anyone wants them. :cool2:

I0SWWTR.jpg

Thank you, I'll have some real pictures to show later on, but these darn smart phones aren't too bad in a pinch. :idea:

The smart phone camera is better than I deserve, so I don't even bother with a dedicated camera these days.:cool3:

Having owned a bunch of quality film cameras [Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Leica, Hasselblad] in the ancient times, I opted not to go down the DSLR rabbit hole...but, I was given a Sony [stolen along with a Minolta video camera], and recently inherited a Canon something or other. The phone actually has a decent camera, why bother?

BTW, Tweedie...if your boss' desk looks like that...quit! :wave:

Having owned a bunch of quality film cameras [Nikon' date= Canon, Minolta, Leica, Hasselblad] in the ancient times, I opted not to go down the DSLR rabbit hole...but, I was given a Sony [stolen along with a Minolta video camera], and recently inherited a Canon something or other. The phone actually has a decent camera, why bother?

BTW, Tweedie...if your boss' desk looks like that...quit! :wave:

Yeah, well they may quit for me, I contracted back because that's the way they do with old geezers like me. :bor:

The smart phones are pretty good, but if you compare photos side by side with someone who knows how to take a good photo, there isn't any comparison.

I was looking at the Sony mirrorless A series because they are so darn good at video, but ended up going with another Nikon (D500) just because they handle so well and take spectacular photos. I just ordered it this morning, so looking forward to that one (plus all my lenses are Nikkor so that makes a difference too).

I think that's going to be my main hobby when I retire again, which might be in June ...

Posted (edited)

I was able to sell my Canon 6d, 24-105, and 70-200 f2.8. So now I currently have a Sony A7III which is a full frame and shoots at 10fps along with 4k video. Along with the Sony 24-105, 70-200 GM and 2x convertor.

Edited by xStonr
  • Like 1

I use the camera in my iPhone and iPad a lot. I’ve got a couple of film SLR’s in storage, and a Canon EOS 1000D with the stock EF-S 18-55mm kit lens, plus an EF 70-300mm zoom. I use the Canon quite a bit too. Nothing fancy or high-end, but it meets my needs.

For astrophotography, I have a ZWO ASI 294 MC, which has a 4/3 format color CMOS sensor. I built a thermoelectric cooler for it to keep noise down on longer exposures, and for glass, I have two main telescopes that I use (a 8” f/5.9 1200mm Newtonian for going deep, and a 72mm f/5.8 420mm apochromatic refractor for wide angle views) along with a variety of filters, Barlow’s and focal reducers.

• Like 1

Pics?

First from the Newtonian... first, Barnard 33 - the Horsehead nebula in Orion...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Horsehead Nebula Stack_50frames_44s copy.jpg","data-attachmentid":32519018}[/ATTACH]

M17 - the Swan / Omega / Lobster nebula in Sagittarius.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"M17 all three filters Stack_15frames_14s.png","data-attachmentid":32519019}[/ATTACH]

M22 - a globular cluster - also in Sagittarius.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"M22 Stack_20frames_18s.png","data-attachmentid":32519020}[/ATTACH]

M27 - the Dumbbell nebula - a planetary nebula in Vulpecula.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"M27 Stack_75frames_67s.png","data-attachmentid":32519021}[/ATTACH]

• Like 2

And from the 72mm Apo...

The North American nebula in Cygnus - this was taken with a H-a (Hydrogen Alpha) filter.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"North American Nebula Stack_10frames_80s copy.jpg","data-attachmentid":32519028}[/ATTACH]

The Double Cluster in Perseus... two open clusters in close proximity.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Double Cluster Stack_11frames_44s copy.jpg","data-attachmentid":32519029}[/ATTACH]

And M31 (along with its satellite galaxies M32 and M110) - a galaxy trio in Andromeda.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"M31 M32 and M110 Stack_11frames_44s copy.jpg","data-attachmentid":32519030}[/ATTACH]

• Like 2

M27 - the Dumbbell nebula - a planetary nebula in Vulpecula.

which is where many of the denizens of the HCPP come from, apparently... ;)

• Like 1

I use a Nikon D60.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"GreenBeetle(800).jpg","data-attachmentid":32519312}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"fiero-whitespar(800).jpg","data-attachmentid":32519313}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"jazzbasspickguard(800).jpg","data-attachmentid":32519314}[/ATTACH]

• Like 3

I wanted something more compact than a big DSLR but good! So for quite some time I have been using a Panasonic Lumix FZ-1000 with a 25-400mm zoom. The lens, with Leica glass, is permanently attached. It is a fine camera, very sharp (I print to 13 x 19 inch on my Canon Pro-100 with no problems). The auto focus is great, but I can manually focus and zoom if I need to. It has both a swiveling screen and excellent digital viewfinder. It also shoots video but I have to use an external mic because the internal motors make noise that prints on sound track.

Rats, looks like I don't have any photos of less than 2 MB to share here.

• Like 1

I wanted something more compact than a big DSLR but good! So for quite some time I have been using a Panasonic Lumix FZ-1000 with a 25-400mm zoom. The lens, with Leica glass, is permanently attached. It is a fine camera, very sharp (I print to 13 x 19 inch on my Canon Pro-100 with no problems). The auto focus is great, but I can manually focus and zoom if I need to. It has both a swiveling screen and excellent digital viewfinder. It also shoots video but I have to use an external mic because the internal motors make noise that prints on sound track.

Rats, looks like I don't have any photos of less than 2 MB to share here.

have to down size

there are free converters

Thanks Keetee! It's small enough now but the site doesn't like the dimensions. Tell you what - if you guys want to see some of my photos, PM me and I'll steer you to my Face Book page. There are some of my "art" photos there

If I had a camera I'd be wholly confused about what to capture an image of.

If I had a camera I'd be wholly confused about what to capture an image of.

The beauty of digital photography is that you don't have to decide. Just shoot everything and keep what you like.

And from the 72mm Apo...

The North American nebula in Cygnus - this was taken with a H-a (Hydrogen Alpha) filter.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"North American Nebula Stack_10frames_80s copy.jpg","data-attachmentid":32519028}[/ATTACH]

The Double Cluster in Perseus... two open clusters in close proximity.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Double Cluster Stack_11frames_44s copy.jpg","data-attachmentid":32519029}[/ATTACH]

And M31 (along with its satellite galaxies M32 and M110) - a galaxy trio in Andromeda.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"M31 M32 and M110 Stack_11frames_44s copy.jpg","data-attachmentid":32519030}[/ATTACH]

HOly crap that is cool!! :thu: I would love to get into that kind of gig. I recently figured out how to take a good photo of the moon... but how exciting it that!? :bor:

• Like 1

Thanks Keetee! It's small enough now but the site doesn't like the dimensions. Tell you what - if you guys want to see some of my photos' date=' PM me and I'll steer you to my Face Book page. There are some of my "art" photos there[/quote']

imgur.com is a painless way to upload photos and you can easily resize them there too. You don't need an account but it you choose to create an account you can store dozens of photos there for free.

HOly crap that is cool!! :thu:

Thank you. :0

I would love to get into that kind of gig. I recently figured out how to take a good photo of the moon... but how exciting it that!? :bor:

Actually very cool! I still struggle with moon photos sometimes. :0

It seemed to be about shooting manual on a tripod of course and not over exposing it. I got some really nice surface detail with all the dark spots and craters. I forget my settings, but have the photo at home. I can pull up the EXIF data. Maybe I'll post it later on. I would think a whole galaxy would be more of a challenge.

• Like 1

It seemed to be about shooting manual on a tripod of course and not over exposing it. I got some really nice surface detail with all the dark spots and craters. I forget my settings, but have the photo at home. I can pull up the EXIF data. Maybe I'll post it later on. I would think a whole galaxy would be more of a challenge.

In some ways it is, but I still struggle a bit with the color balance on some of my moon photos. :(

Posted (edited)
through the screen with a Nikon 7500

Very nice!

My daily bicycle ride takes me through an area that is popular with bird watchers.

Edited by williegoat
  • Like 3

Nice shot of that wingspread vulture, williegoat. :thu:

You got pelicans in AZ?

Nice shot of that wingspread vulture, williegoat. :thu:

You got pelicans in AZ?

There are some ponds about five miles west of me that are a springtime breeding ground for the American White Pelican. In wingspan, they are second only to the California Condor in North America. The "horn" that you see on top of their beaks is just like a red Corvette to a lady pelican and is only present during mating season.

That area has Bald Eagles, Osprey and several varieties of hawks, herons and egrets.

• Like 1

There are some ponds about five miles west of me that are a springtime breeding ground for the American White Pelican. In wingspan, they are second only to the California Condor in North America. The "horn" that you see on top of their beaks is just like a red Corvette to a lady pelican and is only present during mating season.

That area has Bald Eagles, Osprey and several varieties of hawks, herons and egrets.

Birds are challenging, they move so fast you have to have a camera that locks on and tracks them well. The D7500 is a good piece.

Posted (edited)

Birds are challenging, they move so fast you have to have a camera that locks on and tracks them well. The D7500 is a good piece.

With my old D60, I go to shutter priority and manual focus.

The pelicans are @ 1/1250s f5.6 200mm

Edited by williegoat

you ever take a selfie on the moon?

you ever take a selfie on the moon?

No, but I've taken a selfie of... nevermind. :eek2::freak::0;):D

No, but I've taken a selfie of... nevermind. :eek2::freak::0;):D

use what we have

makes a joyous noise

That's very nice! :philthumb:

Thanks, if I remember right it was like a tight aperture like F11 or maybe even more and for some reason I remember a slower shutter speed of a couple of seconds. I looked it up on YouT0ob and picked the most logical sounding video and it worked. It was with a crappy Nikkor 70-300 consumer lens F3.5 to F5.6 I think and using either a D750 or D7100.

My problem in the past was just shooting at the moon and even through I could focus like single point right on the moon, the exposure would read some of the black sky outside the moon and then blow out the highlights.

I want to do some bigger stuff eventually like what you are doing, but only with a DSLR. I know that on longer shots you can get streaks from the rotation of the earth so somehow you have to keep the shot under so many seconds. And then there is the atmosphere to consider like humidity, wind, dust and all that stuff. It's fun to experiment though.

Tweed, what you want / need is a decent tracking mount that will compensate for the rotation of the earth and allow for longer exposure times without the star trails. I’ll try to get you some suggestions in a bit...

• Like 1

Tweed' date=' what you want / need is a decent tracking mount that will compensate for the rotation of the earth and allow for longer exposure times without the star trails. I’ll try to get you some suggestions in a bit... [/quote']

Yeah, that's probably the ticket. I've seen telescopes with them which is almost mandatory considering on how fast things move out of frame.

That moon shot was 300mm @ F8 / 1/500 sec. I don't know why I was thinking longer exposure, but it was pretty snappy I guess. That particular zoom lens isn't all that sharp at 300mm, so I really probably need a 300mm prime for a good shot and those are only a couple grand, no problem :freak:

Yeah, that's probably the ticket. I've seen telescopes with them which is almost mandatory considering on how fast things move out of frame.

I have motorized / tracking Alt-Az mounts for both of my telescopes - they let me take upwards of 30 second exposures, which I then "stack" via software to increase the signal to noise level and bring out the finer details. Someday I might move up to a really nice tracking equatorial mount that would be useful for extra long exposure times (several minutes or more), but they start at around $1,500 for one that would hold my largest telescope and go up from there...

Anything longer than a second or two of exposure time is going to start to give you star trails, even if you are just using a DSLR and a regular lens, and not attaching it to a telescope. While star trails are generally something you want to avoid with astrophotography, they can look pretty cool themselves - especially with really long exposure times.

That moon shot was 300mm @ F8 / 1/500 sec. I don't know why I was thinking longer exposure, but it was pretty snappy I guess.

The moon is so darned bright that you really have to stick with short exposure times and limit the aperture. Again - very nice job! :thu:

That particular zoom lens isn't all that sharp at 300mm, so I really probably need a 300mm prime for a good shot and those are only a couple grand, no problem :freak:

Yeah, my 70-300mm is best when it isn't pushed to the limit. But then again, it's just the cheapest one Canon offers.

Here - look into one of these for use with your camera:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...era_mount.html

Or maybe one of these...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/...&lsft=BI%3A514

Or even one of these...

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Orio...20mount%20dslr

Any of the three should allow you to take 30 second to even a couple minute long exposures without star trails.

If you're on a really tight budget, this can work too... but it's harder to set up and use. It requires manual tracking - the others are all motorized mounts.

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Orio...20mount%20dslr

A couple of good filters would also allow you to bring out some color in some of the interstellar gas clouds, planets, etc. and also would keep issues due to light pollution minimized - I'd look into a good UHC filter first, then maybe a H-a filter. Let me know if you'd like specific recommendations - I spent a small fortune on trial and error attempts before finding the gear that actually works well for me... I might be able to help save you some of that aggravation.

• Like 1

Yeah, thanks. Actually, I would like to know what works the best for you (trackers/filters and even lenses you're using) if you have product names or model numbers. Otherwise I end up plowing through user reviews and wondering if they are true reviews or biased. :idk:

Yeah' date=' thanks. Actually, I would like to know what works the best for you (trackers/filters and even lenses you're using) if you have product names or model numbers. Otherwise I end up plowing through user reviews and wondering if they are true reviews or biased. :idk:[/quote']

My main astrophotography camera is a ZWO ASI 294 MC, which is a 4/3 format camera. I also have the Canon 1000D, which is a APS-C format DSLR, and while I have the adapters needed to connect it directly to my telescopes, I normally don't use it with them, and use the ZWO instead.

Optolong makes a really good UHC filter that isn't too expensive - at least compared to other really good UHC's. Mine is in 2" format (again, for telescope use), but they make them in sizes that will fit directly on a DSLR too. Since a good UHC filter (and there are some poor ones out there too, so you have to be careful...) allows only the main astronomically-important wavelengths (the H-a, OIII, H-beta, SII, etc.) to pass through while blocking a lot of the light pollution wavelengths caused by man-made neon signs and street lights, they can really help give you better contrast and much better color detail. That would be the first filter I'd recommend looking into for taking nighttime photos of the sky.

https://www.optolong.com/en/products/astronomy-filters/light-pollution-filters/333-broadband-filter-uhc

If there's anything specific you're thinking about getting or wondering about, please feel free to drop me a PM and ask... :wave:

Posted (edited)

I have a 127/145th size camera, will that work? :( I can probably duct tape the filter on the end.

It sounds like to do it right I need some pretty snazzy gear but I can probably buy a tracker and filter and use my beater Nikon D750 for starters. Thanks for the info, it can sure save some time in sorting this stuff all out.

Edited by Dr. Tweedbucket

I have a 127/145th size camera, will that work? :( I can probably duct tape the filter on the end.

It sounds like to do it right I need some pretty snazzy gear but I can probably buy a tracker and filter and use my beater Nikon D750 for starters. Thanks for the info, it can sure save some time in sorting this stuff all out.

You're welcome - and it also looks like you're in luck - Optolong makes a clip-on UHC filter that is designed to work with your D750...

https://agenaastro.com/optolong-uhc-nebula-filter-clip-filter-nikon-full-frame.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiamGo4fB4gIViuNkCh1Hnw-AEAQYAiABEgL-rPD_BwE

I've done business with the folks at Agena Astro several times - they are a very good vendor.

A UHC filter plus a motorized tracking mount, along with your existing camera and lenses (and maybe a laptop and some decent astro-software) would give you a very capable DSLR-based astrophotography setup IMO.

You're welcome - and it also looks like you're in luck - Optolong makes a clip-on UHC filter that is designed to work with your D750...

https://agenaastro.com/optolong-uhc-nebula-filter-clip-filter-nikon-full-frame.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiamGo4fB4gIViuNkCh1Hnw-AEAQYAiABEgL-rPD_BwE

I've done business with the folks at Agena Astro several times - they are a very good vendor.

A UHC filter plus a motorized tracking mount, along with your existing camera and lenses (and maybe a laptop and some decent astro-software) would give you a very capable DSLR-based astrophotography setup IMO.

Awesome! That's good to know, maybe it won't be that pricey overall. Once I get my setup figured out, I'll just have to find a place out away from town. I am sort of out in the country as is, but still there are too many lights all around, especially to the west. Maybe I'll go camping out in some desolate town out west .... I'd love to take a road trip and do this kind of thing. It's amazing all the shooting stars you can see once you get out there in the middle of nowhere. Thanks again for the links!!

• Like 1