Heavy consonants, while singing?

kickingtone

• Members

Hi, teeming forum,

I'm sometimes finding it a bit unnatural (for some songs) to sing out and soften the consonants at the same time. Right now, I am trying to gauge how heavy my consonants can get.

I've recorded as dry a short (a cappella) clip as I can configure, so that it's clear.

What would you say? Sounds on the heavy side to me. It's something I just noticed incidentally with this particular song. (It could be the psychology of the song making me do it.)

Any comments welcome, even if it's only to drown out the... trolls....

....we need to drown out the trolls... :thu:

• Moderators

How heavily consonants are sung can depend on vocal style and how you want to interpret the music. But from a technical standpoint I believe its important to find the balance between lyric intelligibility and breath pressure. Enunciate the consonants enough to get the lyrics across but at the same time not at the cost of the vowels integrity. If too much emphasis is put on the consonant then the vowel or voiced note may suffer. IMO, from the vocal production side of things, the consonants shouldn't sound much louder than the vowel.

• Members

I tried it again, focusing more on the vowel integrity, this time. It certainly felt easier, and I think that the consonants sound marginally softer (I nearly felt I was speaking German in the other clip). I guess, I may have to change the song if I want to practice soft consonants, because this song is making me want to stress them, for some reason.

• Members

I drew out the vowels slightly, heading more towards the gentler balladic style perhaps intended and expected for the song. But I am fighting my instincts.

My real instinct is to give it an energetic, punchy, carnival vibe (almost soca style).

Archived