Sign in to follow this  
elysse77

I'm wanting to get back into music, can't decide between drums or bass.

Hello everyone,

For context, I started band when I was a sophmore, I ended up on the drum line the next two years and was on college bass line for a year, I gave up on music due to frustration with local music scene and scheduling. I started playing bass about a year after joining percussion, a few years later(Last year) I got back into bass and took lessons and was making good progress. I had to stop due to time constraints. I'm finally able to have the time to get back into music.

Thank you!

bottom line, which floats your boat more? There is no rule that says you can't pursue both. Well, okay there are some constraints...drums require space, even electronic kits. Acoustic drums require a practice space that won't have the cops at your door every time you hit the snare. For bass, well you will need an amp.

• Like 1

Good drumming takes a ton of tedious, meticulous work. Few make it to the drumming part fully prepared. Buy sticks and keep up the bass. Stay regular on both and don't look back.

• Like 1

the more instruments you play well better your chances for being employed... play the odds, pick up a few more while you’re studying drums and bass...

I would think hard about where you want to go with it? Long tours? Weekend warrior? Doesn't hurt to know both and be available for both, but what makes you happier? If you want to do the weekend warrior thing look long and hard at what your geographical area needs? More bass players or drummers? I'm a drummer, and if I had to do it all over again I would play the harmonica!

Im old and my back hurts!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Elysse, though I'd like to share my experience since I'm in the same boat as you. Never had enough time for a music (shame on me), finally my life changed to better so I'm ready to start again.

Time to join the club, yay!

It's hard to decide, especially since you're (just as me) out of practice. Since guys above have already mentioned that you'll need to work hard to succeed, think, what makes you happier: your experience as a drummer or your progress with a bass guitar?

Personally, I found that I love playing drums and came back to drumming with an electronic kit - as a "weekend warrior" I can only train at home. That's just temporary until I find my way to learn on a daily basis. I also found drums more fun than guitar, which became a routine for me. And there's nothing worse than a routine when you're trying to start again.

So, I agree with race81, you need to decide how much are you going to work (hobby or job), and how much time do you have (just weekends or all week)? But also - do you have your own place and what's your budget.

Wish you luck!

Edited by silent_stream
found mistypes