• Members

The original or one of the re-issues? Wasn't it originally United Audio then UREI? Can't remember the order or the differences but IIRC they were based on an EL panel and photocell.

The original not all that rugged.

I've got a couple of the UREI 7110's looking for a new home (even have the matching 1/3 octave cut only eq's) using the SSM 2014 VCA and discrete detector rectifier and line drivers. Very vintage but still with current reliability and build standards. 1 unit, very similar in performance to the DBX-160's but with added control. All are in dead mint showroom condition too.

• Members

After thinking about it, I remember that this was Bill Putnam's old product that was built in the same building as UREI (or United Recording, whch is where I remembered United from). It did not ues EL panels but was an early FET based compessor that was initially rather crude, but was refined many times over a pretty long life. The one you are looking at is a STEREO re-issue, and should hold up ok on the road IMO.

(I used to service UREI products back in the late 70's and early 80's, which is why I remembered something about these units. IIRC UREI was also involved but don't know how)

• Members

Hard to say. They all have different flavors, depends on what you are trying to achieve.

The 160's (not the VU's) are pretty popular, as are the old UREI 7110's, LA'2's, Drawmers (241, 251), KT's, Valley People, Compellor, Symetrix, etc.

Not all hold up well on the road though.

(Just looked and I have a pair - 4 channels of Drawmer 241's available)

Archived