Sign in to follow this  
Cornholio Farquarth III

What's your favorite non-music-related hobby, interest, or past time?

Reading and studying the Bible. I'm doing a cover to cover read at the moment and am up to chapter 5 in Deuteronomy. I needed some extra coffee to get me through Leviticus, but I eventually made it ;)

I have 2 cats and a dog.

We play and play and play.

The pup goes out for walks daily.

N-Scale model railroad.

Here's my "Caboose that caught fire"

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":32505232}[/ATTACH]

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

The way I “play guitar “ is kinda non-music related :(

but other other than that I’m a pretty good shot, not to brag or anything :0

Edited by tuco
  • Like 1

Cooking and home improvement. I'm a damn good cook but getting a bit long in the tooth to tackle any big home improvement projects. Painting the back of my house is next. Not looking forward to it.

N-Scale model railroad.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":32505232}[/ATTACH]

That's awesome! :cool2:

I am 64 years old and there have been two things that have driven me since I was about 14 (well three, if you include women, but they have mostly driven me nuts and nearly to the poor house): music and motorcycles.

55360f4cf7e493b8b93b13f8decb225b.jpg.86d20bba84b28d52c366ccc28bd81fe2.jpg

182275ec3c53e05533a99e8701052bf0.thumb.jpg.c199921585cd4a062921f6c2336f7195.jpg

• Like 1

If I'm not playing I'm usually watching auto racing on TV or attending my local 1/2 mile dirt track. I got to see Tony Stewart race here Thursday night in the All Star Sprint Car series. :eek2:

I am 64 years old and there have been two things that have driven me since I was about 14 (well three, if you include women, but they have mostly driven me nuts and nearly to the poor house): music and motorcycles.

I have a Kawasaki Vulcan 800 that I bought like 20 years ago. I ride it from time to time, but last year not so much. Last summer sucked and did nothing but rain.

N-Scale model railroad.

Cool. How did it happen?

I am 64 years old and there have been two things that have driven me since I was about 14 (well three' date=' if you include women, but they have mostly driven me nuts and nearly to the poor house): music and motorcycles.[/quote']

I don't ride but that's a cool looking motorcycle. Sweet couple of guitars too. :thu:

Reading and studying the Bible. I'm doing a cover to cover read at the moment and am up to chapter 5 in Deuteronomy. I needed some extra coffee to get me through Leviticus' date=' but I eventually made it ;)[/quote']

It was Numbers that was almost the end of me. ;) Best of luck with your continued reading.

I've been a SF fan since I was a kid so that's my main non-musical pastime.

I don't ride but that's a cool looking motorcycle. Sweet couple of guitars too. :thu:

Thank you very much! It wasn't even rideable and barely ran when I bought it.

My bike is like this. I have leather bags on mine and no windshield.

It's good for short rides, and it wants they call a bar hopper. A few hours in the saddle and I'm good. I have Vance and Hines pipes on mine, re-jetted the carb and had a sprocket change done when they put on a new set of tire.

I was gonna plan a trip to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It's like 500 miles from my house. Maybe not on this bike.

Like the one in the pic, mine is in great shape, it's a bit dusty.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"img_lww2mEfKCkV4IbV_r.jpg?resize=720%2C540.jpg","data-attachmentid":32505410}[/ATTACH]

• Like 2

Bikes don't work for me. They're just too heavy. I've sat on a 650 and 750 and fell over on both. I had no problems with a small dirt bike and a commuter 450 but if I were to go that route I'd get a moped. Hobbies are music related diversions. Play some pool but that's like visual percussion to me; fanatic about the percussion part.

I still keep tropical fish. At one time I was an award-winning aquarist.

• Like 1

I still keep tropical fish. At one time I was an award-winning aquarist.

[video=youtube_share;qIHIkLCuUPY]

It was Numbers that was almost the end of me. ;) Best of luck with your continued reading.

Thanks. Joking aside, the NLT is, as far as I'm concerned, a really excellent translation. I know a lot of people dismiss it because it isn't 'literal' enough, but I've compared it in parallel with other, more 'trusted' translations, and it holds up very well. It speaks to me and it works for me, and that's good enough for me :)

Thanks. Joking aside' date=' the NLT is, as far as I'm concerned, a really excellent translation. I know a lot of people dismiss it because it isn't 'literal' enough, but I've compared it in parallel with other, more 'trusted' translations, and it holds up very well. It speaks to me and it works for me, and that's good enough for me :)[/quote']

When I read the Bible through, it was in the NIV. I have great respect for folks who read it in the KJV. I'm currently using the ESV but lately I've come to like the New Heart English Bible too. To me, the important thing is that you're reading it.

Posted (edited)

My bike is one of my main hobbies.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"DC 60.gif","data-attachmentid":32505803}[/ATTACH]

Edited by Cornholio Farquarth III

Sleeping

Collecting pre 1950 photos

Having sex with old wymenz

Analyzing auto accidents

Studying inventors and inventions, particularly in power generation

Cooking peppers

Collecting oddball firearms. Going to gun shows

Military history and events

Motorcycle riding with the bros

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"DC 60.gif","data-attachmentid":32505803}[/ATTACH]

Now that should be a comfy ride.

Brewing - Mostly Belgian style ales with occasional porters or stouts.

Reading - Still a SF & F fan.

Pool - We play one night per week.

Cooking - I watch way too much FoodNetwork. In the fall, I'll take donated peppers and make a couple of gallons of hot sauce for family and friends.

When I read the Bible through, it was in the NIV. I have great respect for folks who read it in the KJV. I'm currently using the ESV but lately I've come to like the New Heart English Bible too. To me, the important thing is that you're reading it.

Yes, the KJV is not for the faint of heart! What exactly is a cockatrice anyway? :D

Cool. How did it happen?

[video=youtube;HMxJtMoTnx8]

Cool. How did it happen?

I haven't decided yet...but I'm leaning towards "two hobos lit a small fire to heat up a can of beans."

Cool motorcycle but the jacket is a bit much. Sad to think some poor cow gave its life for that. ;)

Brewing - Mostly Belgian style ales with occasional porters or stouts.

Reading - Still a SF & F fan.

Pool - We play one night per week.

Cooking - I watch way too much FoodNetwork. In the fall, I'll take donated peppers and make a couple of gallons of hot sauce for family and friends.

Do you have any favorite authors?

Yes' date=' the KJV is not for the faint of heart! What exactly [i']is[/i] a cockatrice anyway? :D

Easton's Bible Dictionary says:

the mediaeval name (a corruption of "crocodile") of a fabulous serpent supposed to be produced from a cock's egg.

What a "cock's egg" might be I have no idea since a cock is a rooster. ;)

[video=youtube;HMxJtMoTnx8]

So you're saying he did it himself on purpose? Makes as much sense as anything, I suppose. :idk:

I haven't decided yet...but I'm leaning towards "two hobos lit a small fire to heat up a can of beans."

Sounds reasonable to me. You know those hobos, always starting fires.

Cool motorcycle but the jacket is a bit much. Sad to think some poor cow gave its life for that. ;)

It was the outfit for the Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride. Everyone has to wear a tie and be somewhat dressed up.

Now that should be a comfy ride.

Yeh, it does okay on long rides. I ran into some young guys at a convenience store a while back and we were checking out each other's bikes. One guy said to me, "It must be cool going down the street on a sofa". :idk::freak::confused2::facepalm::rolleyes2:

Easton's Bible Dictionary says:

What a "cock's egg" might be I have no idea since a cock is a rooster. ;)

This is why I'm always on the look-out for Anglicised Bibles. I like my Saviour with a 'u' and I much prefer a cock to a rooster ;)

Analyzing auto accidents

I used to be the Director of Safety for a trucking company and did some of that. It can be interesting and occasionally depressing . Do you do that as part of your job, or just a quirky diversion?

Yeh, it does okay on long rides. I ran into some young guys at a convenience store a while back and we were checking out each other's bikes. One guy said to me, "It must be cool going down the street on a sofa". :idk::freak::confused2::facepalm::rolleyes2:

:D:D:D:D:D

Posted (edited)

All I had from 15 to 19 years old was a Triumph Bonneville.

When you only have a bike and have to ride it all year round in all

kinds of weather, it loses it's romance.

No responsible parent wants their daughter on the back of a bike that

is obviously set up to go fast and that's all.

I raced my Thunderhead Sportster at Baylands and Antelope valley a few times, and sold it

once I had kids and was moving to Oregon. I rode it to work every day for a few years first.

Now my back is pretty stable, and riding again wouldn't help it at all.

I don't really miss it anyway, I did it to death.

Also, helmets are for goobers

Edited by tuco

Posted (edited)

Riding my bicycle through urban hellscapes....

Edited by Mr.Grumpy

Do you have any favorite authors?

Many. If I had to pick just one, it would probably be Anne McCaffrey.:love: The world lost a helluva story teller when that lady passed away.

Gives a whole new meaning to “lunatic fringe” :whisper:

• Like 1

Riding my bicycle through urban hellscapes....

There is a bicycle path here that I ride three or four times a week. It goes by the stadium where the Cardinals play and follows a dry, desert riverbed through an area that is popular with bird watchers. There are ponds that attract bald eagles and osprey, coyotes and javalina, and even pelicans for a few weeks in the spring.

​​​​​​​[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"newriver.jpg","data-attachmentid":32506629}[/ATTACH]

• Like 1

Many. If I had to pick just one, it would probably be Anne McCaffrey.:love: The world lost a helluva story teller when that lady passed away.

Robin Hobb is pretty good. In January I completed the 9-volume epic featuring Fitz and the Fool. The ending was incredible. I cried

I used to be the Director of Safety for a trucking company and did some of that. It can be interesting and occasionally depressing . Do you do that as part of your job' date=' or just a quirky diversion?[/quote']

I wondered the same thing. Analyzing auto accidents as a hobby is like being an amateur coroner.

Many. If I had to pick just one' date=' it would probably be Anne McCaffrey.:love: The world lost a helluva story teller when that lady passed away.[/quote']

McCaffrey was good and she'll be missed but I generally like SF with more science. I'm a fan of Lois McMaster Bujold, among others. I've actually met her a couple of times. I like Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's writing too but their stuff is like romance novels in space, almost a guilty pleasure. The last thing I read was "Dream Park" by Larry Niven and Steven Barnes. It was published in the mid 80's but I didn't get around to it until this year.

I used to be the Director of Safety for a trucking company and did some of that. It can be interesting and occasionally depressing . Do you do that as part of your job, or just a quirky diversion?

I analyze accidents for general interest and safety. I mostly look at videos and see where the mistakes were made. A brief moment of inattention can ruin your day and that of others. However, sometimes, there is no way to avoid an accident through an unfortunate combination of events. Being a motorcycle rider, I'm on high alert when riding. The accident vids give me more insight on how I might stay safer on the road, whether on a bike, in a car, or as a pedestrian.

• Like 1

I analyze accidents for general interest and safety. I mostly look at videos and see where the mistakes were made. A brief moment of inattention can ruin your day and that of others. However, sometimes, there is no way to avoid an accident through an unfortunate combination of events. Being a motorcycle rider, I'm on high alert when riding. The accident vids give me more insight on how I might stay safer on the road, whether on a bike, in a car, or as a pedestrian.

You generally come across as a bit of a fruitcake, but you're actually quite intelligent! :eek2: