FOH magazine

• Members

I was wondering how many, if any, of you guys read it. I have been for about a year now. There are definitely good articles, but most of it seems to be about what gear people are using. I would rather read on what gear they use, and why they use it over another product.

I think its geared toward actual sound companies, but us weekend warrior types can learn from it too. I guess I just want to know what you guys think of it.

• Members

I was wondering how many, if any, of you guys read it. I have been for about a year now. There are definitely good articles, but most of it seems to be about what gear people are using. I would rather read on what gear they use, and why they use it over another product.

I think its geared toward actual sound companies, but us weekend warrior types can learn from it too. I guess I just want to know what you guys think of it.

I get FOH in my email box monthly. It's alright. Seems they try to cater to all people. They get into studio, live sound, church sound. You name it. Because of that, it seems watered down. I'm like you and want to read more about what we as warriors do. But that would be boring to others.

Used to get MIX magazine. I liked it better. But, everything I like gets the axe.

• Members

I unsubscribed from all of the mail lists a few years ago. Not that there's anything wrong with the publications... they're fine... but I'm swimming in information over-load and accessability... and I didn't believe it was worth the impact on mother nature for me to have yet something else piling up that I'm not really utilizing, and it's generally all available on-line anyway.

http://www.fohonline.com/

I do wish I could just subscribe to PSN's yearly calender... I've been recycling their calenders of the past since unsubscribing a few years ago... "this year's calender" is from 1999.

• Members

The size of the pages bother me too. Why do they need such large paper?

Actually, we found that larger size quite handy... for when Liz trims my beard and mustach... handy to hold the magazine unfoled in my lap to catch the trimmings... then wad the whole works up and stuff it in the wood stove to start the morning's fire... 'cept wood heat's generally needed in the winter time, and beard trimming's more of a summer thing.

• Members

Actually, we found that larger size quite handy... for when Liz trims my beard and mustach... handy to hold the magazine unfoled in my lap to catch the trimmings... then wad the whole works up and stuff it in the wood stove to start the morning's fire... 'cept wood heat's generally needed in the winter time, and beard trimming's more of a summer thing.

Just do the trimming outside!

• Members

I take it your wood stove is an airtight (or at least has a good draft - even when starting). The smell of burning hair in the morning just isn't quite the same as coffee :-).

I'm with Mark on the "save the trees" idea. The venue where I work (or someone else who works there) gets LSI, FOH, PSN & Mix (as well as several gun magazines which we figure might keep managment in line :-). It makes for good reading but If I need a piece of equipment, I start doing research (here and elswhere on the internet as well as ask other folks I know in the industry) and buy it based on hopefuly unbiased reviews. Or I see a piece come through in someones touring rig and I ask them about it (nothing like real world experience).

I used to subscribe to EM and Mix but (like Mark) got overloaded with info I didn't really need so I started saving $$$ and trees.

• Members

Hell, I'm still waiting on Andy's book........hint hint LOL The thing would probably be requires to have an "R" rating and take a team of proofreaders! I even have a suggestion for the title..."The idiots, and those who prefer to call themselves "weekend warriors"guide to sound reinforcement, '

• Members

The venue where I work (or someone else who works there) gets LSI, FOH, PSN & Mix

IIRC, we get every 2nd or 3rd issue of Mix, 1 copy of PSN Europe, 1-2 copies of Sound on Sound, 1 copy of Post, 1 copy of Resolution, 1-2 copies of TapeOp, 3-4 copies of Live Sound International, and 4 copies of Pro Sound News US.

Seeing as how we get 4 copies of some, I kind of wonder how much some of the circulation numbers are inflated to jack up our ad rates.

-Dan.

Archived