Would PA speakers work for...?

• Members

...hooking up to my TV? I am a college student and I have an 'old' tube tv for my dorm, but I also have two Yamaha s115mt's sitting in my basement at home. I couldn't find any pics or specs for these online, but they are speaker cabs with 1 15", 1 6" and 1 horn, and two ports at the bottom. The only input it has on the back is a speakon, but I figure I can get adapters to take care of that. I don't have any sort of a head unit or anything for my tv, and really it would just be movies and xbox being played through them. Would these work? Or would there be no power to them or something (don't really know what I'm asking here)? I figured I would post here since I thought it would be more help than finding some "home theater" forum. Any help would be much appreciated guys. Thanks!

• Members

Old TV's, if is really is an all tube TV, use an internal speaker and small power amp for the audio. There isn't outputs to run a pre amp signal out to another power amp. And there is not enough wattage to drive those Yamaha speakers. While in theory, you could find the audio signal, wire in an output and plug that into a power amp to power those speakers, in reality, it would just not be worth it. If it were actually a somewhat newer cathode ray tube ( CRT ) and has an audio output in the back, you could then run a cable from that to a power amp that could power the speakers. Even then, I doubt they would sound that great because they're designed for sound re-enforcement, rather than moderate music playback.

additional info: all TV's were CRT prior to projectors, plasma, LCD. It's just in the 60's, TV's transitioned from all tube to transistors. At that time, extra functions were eventually added to allow one to hook the TV's up to home stereos. Sometimes, those earlier solid state TV's with CRT's will have audio outs on the back of the set. You could run a line from that to an inexpensive stereo receiver and power those speakers that way.

• Members

Do you really need or have room for a couple old, big three way cabs in a dorm room. Those are pretty old. I believe they were discontinued in 1989.

What TV do you have? Does it have a speaker output? Is it stereo? Are you just trying to impress your friends? When I went to college, the dorm rooms were way too small to use speakers like that unless you wanted to be pennied and extinguished.

You would need an amp or two and probably an EQ and some type of mixer to do this right. Not sure if it will ever end up as good as you would like it to be.

• Members

Do you really need or have room for a couple old, big three way cabs in a dorm room. Those are pretty old. I believe they were discontinued in 1989.

What TV do you have? Does it have a speaker output? Is it stereo? Are you just trying to impress your friends? When I went to college, the dorm rooms were way too small to use speakers like that unless you wanted to be pennied and extinguished.

You would need an amp or two and probably an EQ and some type of mixer to do this right. Not sure if it will ever end up as good as you would like it to be.

John, didn't college teach you anything??? You need priorities ;)

1. Beer fridge.

2. Something to sleep on. (use your imagination here)

3. Sound system/entertainment system.

4. Storage,,,,,,ummm,,,,,,wherever.

I say "go vertical" young man. ;) Use the speakers as your TV stand. :cool:

• Members

You need an amp...I'm sure one of your friends can help you there. Run the red and white plugs from your DVD player or video game into the amp, the yellow plug goes to the TV (video). What you're doing is bypassing the TV speakers completely and coming through your PA speakers(maybe one speaker is enough).

Putting the TV on top the speakers sounds like a good idea.

• Members

Putting the TV on top the speakers sounds like a good idea.

Unless the magnets mess with the CRT. For all we know the old TV is a 52" plasma. When you turn 50, old becomes very subjective. When I heard old TV I was picturing a round screen Zenith...:thu:

• Members

Unless the magnets mess with the CRT. For all we know the old TV is a 52" plasma. When you turn 50, old becomes very subjective. When I heard old TV I was picturing a round screen Zenith...
:thu:

:facepalm:

You are 100% correct.

• Members

Old tube televisions sets have enough voltage inside them to kill you if you're not careful, and they can retain the voltage for something like 24 hours plus/minus.

When I was much younger I had an old tube TV that had inputs on it, but no outputs. Most didn't even have inputs. And as stated the amp from those televisions wouldn't properly drive those speakers.

Stick to beer, or girls, or even studying, and leave the TV repair to the television repair man - anybody remember those guys?

• Members

Ok maybe its not a real "tube" tv, I just meant that it wasn't any sort of a flat screen. It only has one coax input in the back, but I have been using an RF converter for that and it hasn't been a problem.

I was planning on using the speakers as the tv stand. Does anyone know how much power I would need though, and where I could buy a cheap amp (and what kind of amp do I need for that matter) that would get the job done?

• Members

My search came up with a three way cab that is 400 watts peak. They are in this thread:

Yeah, those are them (more or less). Speaker placement is a little different, and it has 2 holes at the bottom, and it only has speakon ins. I don't believe they are powered...powered speakers involve being plugged in to the wall right?

• Members

Yeah, those are them (more or less). Speaker placement is a little different, and it has 2 holes at the bottom, and it only has speakon ins. I don't believe they are powered...powered speakers involve being plugged in to the wall right?

Yep. Powered would have built in amp(s) and require a electrical plug. Interesting that they have speakons. Have you always owned them or did you get them used?

• Members

Yep. Powered would have built in amp(s) and require a electrical plug. Interesting that they have speakons. Have you always owned them or did you get them used?

I got them used from my high school band director. They had been sitting in the storage closet for longer than he had been there and we already had better (newer) speakers.

• Members

We have a surround system and just the other day I noticed that our front speakers aren't shielded enough. Caused green streak at the bottom of the screen. Even with newer stuff, one must be careful in respect to speaker placement to tv. We even tried the center channel on top of the tv...same issue. I really liked my DCM's for that reason. No matter how close I placed them to the tv, there was no interference. These are Paradigm, could have a better shield system in their speakers. To us, they sound o.k. Not Klipsch but they still sound o.k.

Archived