Hi all, hey please view this poor quality photo of an old thing I had about 15 years ago a 1930's Regal arch top what is that top made from ? well, wood ya, but can you tell what type maybe ?

crustoleum

• Members

I do not have any better photographs of it

I should have kept it but it needed work, the internal braces buzzed ya they did. I traded it but kind of , in retrospect , I really should have gotten it repaired. I would like to obtain a "kit" of a similar thing, but do not even know where start looking What do you think ? anything ?

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/yUCbSR0.jpg"}[/img2]

rTOqe3K.jpg

it had a very nice "figured" effect of the grain on that thing. sorry for hurting your eye, but that is all I have to show you of that

thank you for looking at it though

• Members
I'm going to guess birch plywood. It was actually used on a lot of guitars during that period and could have been pressed into an arched shape.

Freeman, thank you for replying to my inquiry about that thing. Birch, well now, I learned a thing today maybe. I like that, about that, ya I do and thank you for replying , Now where might I locate an "unfinished" 1 with a similar "striation" that I may stain to do what 1 does to produce a nice thing as quite similar to the guitar in the photos. I have, at the present moment, no idea if a thing as such or somewhat similar may even be available like that maybe Any suggestion will be appreciated and thanks for any further comments pertaining to my inquiry. Indeed thank you anyone of replying about this particular subject

• Members

You are saying you want to try to reproduce that but you want to do the finish work? My suggestion would be to just keep looking at all the possible sales sites (Reverb,Craigslist, evil bay....) for something similar, strip it and do the refin. A buddy of mine has a bit of a problem collecting old archtops ("hi, my name is Paul and I'm an addict")

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32499568}[/ATTACH]

He recently brought over a 1954 Epiphone Zephyr that he will be fixing up

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32499569}[/ATTACH]

• Members
You are saying you want to try to reproduce that but you want to do the finish work? My suggestion would be to just keep looking at all the possible sales sites (Reverb,Craigslist, evil bay....) for something similar, strip it and do the refin. A buddy of mine has a bit of a problem collecting old archtops ("hi, my name is Paul and I'm an addict")

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32499568}[/ATTACH]

He recently brought over a 1954 Epiphone Zephyr that he will be fixing up

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32499569}[/ATTACH]

Of all guitars, I like Epiphone's more than any others. I don't know why I just do.

Archived