Problem with XR12 WiFi

• Members

So have I - since the early 80s.

You didn't notice that I also have an X32? :facepalm:

I know how to use WiFi. I've been developing communicating products in my day gig as an electrical engineer since 1990 - and I have a handful of patents to show for it.

Don't blame the user for a product that doesn't work properly.

1. You've been mixing more than 35 years or so. Check

2. You have a X32. Check When I said you went to digital I meant for your Sub Mixer and not a lot of money meaning buying a proper Router etc.

3. Your an Electrical Engineer for a long time. Check

You purchased the Yugo of wireless mixers that everyone on the web has stated here and elsewhere for years that the built in WIFI isn't any good and yet you trusted it for a mission critical job. It sounds like it worked fine for a few gigs yet failed this 1 time (I'm guessing) and now its not a good product. Although I don't have a paper in a frame I've done a few Heath kits and been around electronics for a few years. ;-) There's no way I'd go out with any digital rack mixer and trust its built in WiFi. Common sense and experience wouldn't let me do that. I've been mixing wireless for some time now with yamaha and midas products. No issues. For someone who has been developing communicating products for years and with all your other experience I'm surprised you trusted such a entry level product with known questionable built in WiFi.

Sorry you have had bad luck with it. I'm betting if you picked up a external router or better you'd have great luck but I understand that is one more step to frig with and takes up space so its not what your looking for. There is the X32 Rack as I'm sure you know that has accessible controls on front but it is a step up in price. I haven't looked in the used market for one but there may be some at a reasonable price.

Regardless now that you have it I'd pick up a low cost router and maybe give it another try in not such a high profile show. You may end up liking it. Also it doesn't sound like you were using every input on the mixer. Maybe setup a few channels for "spares" so if this came up again you could swap channels out. I realize it would be a Hot Swap and you may have to ask the FOH to mute your send for a moment but it may get you through until you picked up a analog sub mixer.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
I use a XR12 in my guitar rack to pre-mix all of my various instruments (electric, steel-string, mandolin, etc.). I use my phone to connect to it with the xAir app, which has always worked just fine. I do the same thing with my X32, and have never had a problem with it.

Last night, I showed up at the gig and the WiFi refused to connect. After a couple of resets, I finally got the WiFi to connect, but halfway through the app connecting to the console, it disconnected again and refused to reconnect. After multiple rounds of power cycling and resetting to no avail, I finally gave up. Trouble is, I had my mandolin channel muted and had no way to turn it on. angry02

The show was sold out, so I assume that there were a lot of devices in the audience...but that's no different than in many previous gigs.

Two questions:

1) Any idea of the root cause, and is there a way to fix it?

2) Does anyone have a work-around? Once the show starts, I cannot dig into the back of the rack and try to make repairs, and without a physical interface I am backed into a corner if I need to make an adjustment. (I do a lot of theater work, so I cannot just stop and take a break or delay the start of the performance.)

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

first, I would send all instruments directly to the main mixer. Get rid of the submixer.

Next, if you have an X32 as your main mixer, just use a tablet or phone to control the mix or submix directly through the.X32.

Last, the wireless router is the issue with the XR12. The reason the X32 works well is that it is using an external wireless router....it doesn't matter where it was purchased from. A router purchased at Walmart is not good or bad because of where it was bought.

For people doing Solo or duo work, tht XR12 is a fine solution with a decent router. Far superior to an analog mixer IMHO.

• Members

first, I would send all instruments directly to the main mixer. Get rid of the submixer.

Not an option. Have you ever worked musical theater? I only have one send to the FOH console for all of my instruments, and I have to control my own monitor mix.

Next, if you have an X32 as your main mixer, just use a tablet or phone to control the mix or submix directly through the.X32.

​​​​​​

Even if I had access to the FOH mixer, I still couldn't do this. The channel setup starts with 20 wireless mics, then the stage mics, pit instrumentation, FX cues, etc. I am allocated one channel for guitar/string toys, period.

Last, the wireless router is the issue with the XR12. The reason the X32 works well is that it is using an external wireless router....it doesn't matter where it was purchased from. A router purchased at Walmart is not good or bad because of where it was bought.

​​​​​​

True, but the bigger issue is that there is a usable front panel on the X32. Ease-of-use is marginal, but it gives a way to fix something if the WiFi goes out.

For people doing Solo or duo work, tht XR12 is a fine solution with a decent router. Far superior to an analog mixer IMHO.

Maybe for an open mic night or equivalent playing for 30 people, sure. I am now of the opinion that it simply is not suitable as a professional use device for mid-size and large venues, though.

If the first thing you say is that it needs an external router, why did they put one inside it that doesn't work? IMO, it would be better to leave it out of the product than have a feature that doesn't function in a performance environment. I would not have bought it knowing that the router didn't work - I would have stuck with a simple 8 channel rack analog, because they are reliable.

• Members

. There is the X32 Rack as I'm sure you know that has accessible controls on front but it is a step up in price.

I already have one. Too deep for the rack space I have available, and it lives in my PA rack, not my instrument rack. You are correct, though, that it would work for the intended purpose, just at way more cost, size, weight and complexity than a simple analog rack unit.

I realize it would be a Hot Swap and you may have to ask the FOH to mute your send for a moment but it may get you through until you picked up a analog sub mixer.

Absolutely not an option. The FOH guy sits in the tech bridge, I'm in the pit, and there is only one break in the show (intermission), during which everyone is full-bore setting for act 2.

These are live theater shows, not bar gigs in a "dad band". Everything - EVERYTHING - happens in sync with a predefined set of cues. The entire 2-1/12 or 3 hour show will run within 1 minute of the same length every single night - there is no room for mistakes, miscues, or special requests. If I came in with a request like that, it would be the last theater gig I would play in this area.

Have you ever been to a broadway show?

• Members
The XR12 has an ethernet port on the front; can you not use a wired interface, such as a lightning to ethernet adapter?

I am going to see if there's reasonable way to do that. So far I'm coming up with nothing on an analog option (10 years ago they were ubiquitous, but.....:idk:).

• 4 weeks later...

Archived