Purchasing online and the stress of hoping you get a good guitar-

CamaroKid2SS

• Members

My new Sweetwater "professional" catalog arrived today. Six hundred and one pages - if there are five items per page that's a lot of inventory. Good thing I'm not in the market to buy anything

Plus, I got an e-mail the other day from my Sweetwater "personal account representative" (I had bought a case from them a year ago) asking if I had built any more guitars and if I needed more cases. Nice to know they are taking care of me.

• Members

What was wrong this time?

This time it was customer service. I can't even believe how much effort it took to buy a guitar. Thank God I didn't end up getting it.

the 3 payment thing is total BS. No credit check? Lol my rep called me back to ask for my social security number to do a credit check. That was hilarious. Their computer did not recognize me. So yeah. Don't bother with that if youre going to order with them. Same thing happened to another guy I talked too. Try it if you doubt me. It's just a way to get a purchase moving forward for them. I get it now. I even said to just go ahead and charge the card for the full amount. They did and for some reason my bank wouldn't approve their charge. Thanks bank lol.the 55 point check is a farce. At least set the guitar up enough to be playable out of the box. Guess that was point 56. My rep claimed they only inspect it enough to make sure it meets manufacturers specs. Awesome.

That white Fender was beautiful. You have great taste

• Members

This time it was customer service. I can't even believe how much effort it took to buy a guitar. Thank God I didn't end up getting it.

the 3 payment thing is total BS. No credit check? Lol my rep called me back to ask for my social security number to do a credit check. That was hilarious. Their computer did not recognize me. So yeah. Don't bother with that if youre going to order with them. Same thing happened to another guy I talked too. Try it if you doubt me. It's just a way to get a purchase moving forward for them. I get it now. I even said to just go ahead and charge the card for the full amount. They did and for some reason my bank wouldn't approve their charge. Thanks bank lol.the 55 point check is a farce. At least set the guitar up enough to be playable out of the box. Guess that was point 56. My rep claimed they only inspect it enough to make sure it meets manufacturers specs. Awesome.

Chuck Surack was here a few months back poasting about his store/biz model. Would be interesting if you dug that up and grilled him directly.

• Members
Ok if it's going out of tune its probably user error. Why do so many of you new guys have so many problems? That Jackson you own has a Floyd on it but are playing in a non standard tuning? How long have you been playing? Do you know how to setup your guitar? You are probably the problem not the guitars you keep sending back.

I think the OP Might benefit from checking out some YouTube set up, tuning and guitar stability videos.

• Members

Yesterday I pulled out my Epi Dot; the same model Victor Litz used to do for 300 bucks. It's one of two guitars I got sight unseen. the other one was a Behringer strat thing from Musikins Frenn. That was a horrible deal. Got THE FIRST ONE in good order. Played ok but the neck was cut in two different planes. IE the higher frets were useless. Sent it back - they wanted pics but I had no such cam so they took it back. Sent me another and this time the neck "played" throughout the range but the tone sucked. It was lifeless compared to the first which did have a pretty good ring to it. Different wood I guess. Anyway the guitar is so mediocre it just sits in the rack. Didn't even buy a case for it.

Back to the Epi. I plugged into a Chinese Xotic clone I just got and was completely floored. The pedal brought forth all kinds of color that the guitar was happy to flaunt. I'm glad I didn't nitpick the shortcomings when first I got it. It has great sounds and instrumental capability even if I don't. Definitely happy with that deal.

• Members

I've had great luck with Sweetwater and some luck with MF buying mid priced guitars on line. Both readily accept returns. Sweetwater shows you an actual picture, important for transparent finishes. MF just sends you what ever is on top of the stack. Better set up from Sweetwater.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I had some good luck locally. I purchased a hybrid Schecter (model 1955) and it's a keeper. Never realized how good Schecter guitars can be. This one has that sustainiac thingy on neck pickup and it's pretty fun to mess with. It came with the EMG 66/57 set up and those are currently my favorite pick ups. Guitar sounds amazing through my Invective halfer.

• Members
Guitars are like pets, all different, even within the same breed. And when you get to the re-homing center, despite you having all the consumer power, they choose you.

:)

How eloquent and true. I added an Ibby S61AL to keep my Schecter company today. I must say Fishman Fluence modern pick ups sound amazing. I'm totally done buying gear for a while. My wad is shot.

• Members

I've come a long way since this thread started. I finally found an Ibanez Prestige (RG5121) that is an amazing guitar. Made every other guitar I played or owned up to this point feel like a junky toy. I did enjoy my Schecter, but it disintegrated fairly quickly. Sustainiac failed first. Not sure it really worked correctly from day 1 anyway.

Archived