House Sound Man..WOW

• Members

I played a gig last night and did not bring my system and do sound from stage........:facepalm: The club provided there PA & engineer...in the 2nd set I heard someone singing other than the other guitar player. I looked over at the FOH and the FOH guy was singing.......WTF. It was our first time at the club and I didn't want to piss anyone off or say anything during the show. After the show I told the soundman "When I was doing sound in Aspen 25 yrs ago, the band ask me if I could sing Harmonies from the board. At least the band asked me." WOW! I was a little dismayed!

LOL

Still living and learning!

• Members

yeah, all the soundguy is supposed to do is play that "big keyboard" back there and thats it.

(you might be surprised to find out how many times i have been asked if i am the keyboard player when i am sitting FOH. then again you might not)

• Members

I played a gig last night and did not bring my system and do sound from stage........
:facepalm:
The club provided there PA & engineer...in the 2nd set I heard someone singing other than the other guitar player. I looked over at the FOH and the FOH guy was singing.......WTF. It was our first time at the club and I didn't want to piss anyone off or say anything during the show. After the show I told the soundman "When I was doing sound in Aspen 25 yrs ago, the band ask me if I could sing Harmonies from the board. At least the band asked me." WOW! I was a little dismayed!

LOL

Still living and learning!

Was he any good?

• Members

i've done this a few times with one of the local bands around here. In my case though I recorded their album in my studio and helped write and arrange the background vocals, and I only sang a couple of parts that the band was unable to cover.

from a complete stranger? no way!

• Members

Hey.... At least the guy didn't ask for his share of the band pay.

You should have said - "Our sound guy Steve will sing the next one for you. Steve, come on up." Then you go mix the next song. Of course this could back fire with Steve singing several tunes. ;)

• Members

I used to play a club where we took a recording of a couple sets. Upon playback could hear some "third harmonies" when only two of us in the band actually had mics to sing.

That is the only club that i can remember playing in where the soundman did some singing from FOH.

From what i remember he wasnt too off key, but was definately no singer

• Members

I did sound at a charity bike ride and had an announcement mic at the side of the stage. Next song the female vocalist does a Heart tune and the backing vocals were awesome. I was thinking I got lucky with where they sat in the mix. After the song the singer asks me who was the woman on the side of the stage doing the backup, because she wanted to thank her. I left the mic on by mistake and it was just some biker chick singing along.

• Members

This weekend doing sound for the Boat Drunks, they did a Jimmy Buffett christmas song that my main band used to do called "Ho Ho Ho and a bottle of Rhum". There is a samba whistle in the tune and I used to do the whistle bit from the board since the band members were busy with other parts, and the whistle had to use both tones. The Drunks did that song for sound check, and I quickly grabbed the whistle and blew it. After sound check I went up to the percussionist who indicated it would be ok for me to do that in the show, so I did. I would NEVER have done it though without asking.

Archived