Newbie in need of some help re multi effects and amps

Snirgol

• Members

Hi,

So I picked up a Mooer GE200 2 days ago and I need some help. After fighting for a few hours, I managed to connect everything directly to my PC but I am having some latency issue and Im also having some issues with the sound quality.

So now I'm thinking of connecting it to an amp instead but I have a few questions. What should I be looking for in an amp if the Mooer will do all the effects and Sims and will also be used to connect headphones? Is it possible to go directly into a cab or do I need an amp?

Any advice on best way to connect it to the PC without latency?

Thanks!

• Members

Thanks for the manual but I already read it front to back more than once. For the latencey, I'm going to try connecting via an interface and see if it helps. As for the speaker, I have been doing some reading and it sounds like an FRFR or a pair of monitors will be my best bet. I'm currently looking into a set of JBL LRS308 monitors or an Alto Pro ts210 FRFR.

• Members

Yes, you'll need an amp of some kind. Most any guitar amp capable of a clean signal at reasonable volume will work. You can probably find a used Peavey cheap. You can use a powered speaker in a pinch. When I first got into electric guitar I used a multi effects pedal and a bass amp.

• Members

If you're hearing ;latency then its likely an issue with how your are monitoring the signal. If you are using a standard windows card and using ASIO4ALL to make them compatible with a DAW program, I can gurantee you that's where your problem resides.

With a regular interface you have speakers connected directly to the interface and the windows sound card is turned off.

You get zero latency when the signal going into the interface comes right back out into your speakers staying analog and not being converted to digital. What you play is what you hear.

The signal inside the interface splits and it gets recorded in the background. You don't hear the latency so it doesn't matter how much there is.

Then when playing back tracks, they mix with your incoming signal so everything you hear is in real time.

Your Mooer may work as a zero latency interface, but you'd need to connect your monitors to the Mooer outputs. You cannot use the Mooer for the input signal and your windows sound card for the output. You'd be listening to the processed signal and hear all kinds of latency that way.

You also cant use the Windows sound card for the analog input of the Mooer to record. A windows sound card uses windows drivers which are far too slow for professional recording. Windows cards are only good for low end Multimedia stuff. You can for example use the line in to connect a turntable or tape player to record music and the line out can connect to monitors or a Hi Fi system. You cant multitrack with it because you need high speed ASIO chips and drivers.

ASIO4ALL is a Fake ASIO driver. It makes a DAW program think its connected to a pro Interface and will try and stream the audio at high speed.

I've tried the driver on a dozen different sound cards. Its only connected them to a daw program on two and the audio was only playable at CD quality and even then it was so glitchy and full of drop outs it wasn't worth the effort.

What you likely need is a pro stereo interface for recording. One that runs ASIO and has zero latency monitoring. Then you can just connect the analog outputs of the Moore to the interface and track all you want. I record that way all the time using my multi effect units.

• Members
Would you still recommend a regular amp even if I'm planning on using the Mooer built in amp Sims and can Sims? My understanding is that an FRFR or monitors are preferred in this case as they will not color the sound .

That's why I recommended a powered speaker or bass amp. Either will produce a clean, relatively uncolored signal. A keyboard amp or acoustic guitar amp will work too.

• Members

Thanks for the help guys, great info there! I'm waiting for my interface to show up and then I will set everything up and see how it goes. Need to pick up some monitors today so I am hoping that after everything is done, I'll have myself a nice decent setup for playing around

Archived