You'd think I'd learn by now (re: guitar building)

kwakatak

• Members

RH in my workshop dipped below 30%. I know as musicians we stress that finished guitars should live in the 40-60% range but for woodworking a little drier is better - but 30% is too dry and things then to warp easily below 35% and above 60%. So everything is sealed up in hardshell cases or in plastic bins with proper humidification measures in effect. The walnut I purchased remains sealed in a vaccum sealed plastic bag.

The exception is a new student grade sitka top that I ordered last week from RC Tonewoods up near Buffalo, NY. That I have sitting out on a shelf suspended on wooden stickers because it arrived wrapped in Saran Wrap. The weather forecast is supposed to be mild for the next couple of days and as long as I don't begin working with it it actually makes better sense to let it acclimate.

• Members

Aw, who am I kidding? RH was actually 39% so I routed out the soundhole and did a preliminary deflection test. The thickness of the top around the soundhole is .1” and using a brick as a weight the top deflects about .23”.

Archived