Let's talk Carbon Fiber Guitars!

epi56ebony

• Members

I have a Rainsong WS-1000 one of the earliest models and I love it. No truss rod but it always plays the same, totally weather proof.

I saw that Rainsong has a new one out with Carbon Fiber and Glass fiber, the H-DR1100N2. no electronics. Anyone have one of these?

Composite Acoustics are also suppose to be good.

I think I'd like to get another Carbon Fiber guitar and will scour Craiglist and Guitar Center used.

I will say about my Rainsong that the sound is not as warm as a Martin but the closest would be a Taylor. Very bright.

• Members
I have a Rainsong WS-1000 one of the earliest models and I love it. No truss rod but it always plays the same, totally weather proof.

I saw that Rainsong has a new one out with Carbon Fiber and Glass fiber, the H-DR1100N2. no electronics. Anyone have one of these?

Composite Acoustics are also suppose to be good.

I think I'd like to get another Carbon Fiber guitar and will scour Craiglist and Guitar Center used.

I will say about my Rainsong that the sound is not as warm as a Martin but the closest would be a Taylor. Very bright.

I don't own a carbon fiber guitar, but there's an older guy in the area, that has a Rainsong and a Composite Acoustic. I played the Rainsong and it's loud, not very warm, and a bit heavy.

Did I like it? Not really, but I didn't hate it either.

They are not cheap, are really stable.

Both of his have Fishman pickups. that came with them.

I'm not sure how frets are replaced on a carbon fiber.

If you can find one in your price range, I don't see why not.

Taylor's are nice,but a little under build so they sound good out of the box, and that's not a bad thing either.

I'm more of a Martin, old school Gibson guy.

• Members

A friend has one of the fiberglass models. Its his "keep at the cabin at the lake" guitar. I think that's a good use for it and if I had a cabin at the lake I might want one also. He also has several nice wooden guitars - an OM45, couple of GS Mini's, a Keller parlor - I think the Rainsong fits nicely in that quiver.

He asked me to tweak the setup for him, gave me a chance to look inside and see how it was built and braced....

IMG_3812_zps1hul5veg.jpg

IMG_3813_zpspamao3az.jpg

IMG_3814_zpsdssje2hi.jpg

• Members

Been rolling around the idea of getting an Emerald X30 but I'm a no-way-if-no-play shopper. If it isn't available to sample I won't buy one. I have played the Rainsong WS-1000. I'd be okay with it as my only guitar. I think CF is the next logical choice for the end run for me so I'm looking. If I was a builder I might have a different answer.

• Members

I've liked both carbon fiber instruments I've played. The first was a RainSong many years ago. The other was a Cargo from Composite Acoustics not long ago. I was looking for a more weather resistant axe for camping and festivals. It's a lot of money, though. I'm still hoping to stumble on a cheap Applause with the aluminum neck.

• Members
A friend has one of the fiberglass models. Its his "keep at the cabin at the lake" guitar. I think that's a good use for it and if I had a cabin at the lake I might want one also. He also has several nice wooden guitars - an OM45, couple of GS Mini's, a Keller parlor - I think the Rainsong fits nicely in that quiver.

He asked me to tweak the setup for him, gave me a chance to look inside and see how it was built and braced....

IMG_3812_zps1hul5veg.jpg

IMG_3813_zpspamao3az.jpg

IMG_3814_zpsdssje2hi.jpg

that is sweet!

Archived