Best Before Date on a QSC MX1500a

• Members

Any opinions on whether the QSC MX1500a power amp is past it's prime? I can pick one up for under $300.00 but a deal ain't a steal if it quits working.

I did see a thread circa 2009 (on HC) that had mention of possible age related problems, but I see that one of my local soft seaters is still using the MX1500a's.

Just wondering what folks had to say regarding the option of purchase or pass.

• Members

I just sold one. When they work, they are very reliable, solid amps with a ton of thermal headroom. The problem is that the class H rail switches are (or were) no longer available and when they fail they can burn up pretty bad. They are on a small PCB that mounts to the main amp PCB with headers.

They are also a very heavy amp, similar to the RMX-1850 but heavier. $300 is pretty steep. I think I sold mine for $200 with a 30 day warranty.

• Members

I just sold one. When they work, they are very reliable, solid amps with a ton of thermal headroom. The problem is that the class H rail switches are (or were) no longer available and when they fail they can burn up pretty bad. They are on a small PCB that mounts to the main amp PCB with headers.

That's the kind of scenario I was afraid of. So the price should reflect the possible issues (as your price did). Thanks.

Archived