Walking around Namm on setup day Wednesday Jan 23 2019

bookumdano4

• Members

Upstairs in 207a, Gibson has eighteen-bazeeeelllllion Gibsons close together on all four walls....well.... some Epiphones on various islands and on the back left wall areas. A nice visual attack as you walk in the door. Like rare animals captured in a zoo or something. Nice! Maybe it's just nice seeing the booth after last years' absence.

Harman is still uncrating lots of stuff in the new hall, so I'll nose around there again around 5pm.

Hey, has the 20ft tall Ampeg guitar amp + head been there at past shows? It has ONE cabinet loaded with somewhere around forty ten inch speakers....and a head on top that you need a ladder to get to.....and a fifty foot guitar cable dangling down. The thing looks fully functional.

More goodies all around, including a couple of very interesting tarp-covered items I have my eye on in the new hall.

Theres a Cp70 in the Yamaha room with two companion keyboards on either side.....is there a digital version of the cp70? I don't keep track although I owned cp70s off and on for years.

• Members

Friday afternoon..... hey, the new hall reminds me of 1976 AES rather than 21st century Namm.... in one area anyway.

You have, well...a u67.... then make a turn and see some big Trident boards, then another turn to see some big Neve boards, another turn to see some big SSL stuff (well, big for them now anyway)... and then another turn ...and.......MCI Tape machines......hahahaha!. Yep, Chris Mara has a booth right there in the new hall. Good for him!

Wonder how many trumpet dealers are making deals in the new room? Although I did hear an interesting kazoo (or something) demonstration a bit ago at the Hammond booth by Suzuki guys.

• CMS Author

You walk into the hall and you see a U67, and then you go about 30 feet and you see another u67, then across the aisle there's yet another u67. But seriously, folks, the concentration of audio and audio-related products in the new Annex is a real improvement for those of us who would prefer not to have drums, basses, and electric guitars in the foreground when we're trying to talk tech.

And the tech people are there at the booths. Closest thing outside of the "back room" where I attended a press conference for Native Instruments Thursday morning was the Reidel booth. I didn't really have much interest in their products (they make audio and video intercom and talkback systems), but I got into a pretty good chat with the guy manning the booth about AES67 and interoperability. I'll be spending more time in that area today (Saturday) and Sunday.

I had a Phil sighting, a Craig sighting and a Mats sighting so expect some hot news from them.

Yeah, the new pro audio hall is almost like an AES show. In fact, there’s the whole AES at NAMM thing, so they are well represented.

As always, it was great to see you Mike!

I talked to the folks at the Mara booth... it is cool to know they’re refurbishing those Old, cool MCI decks (no JH-16’s though, but you can get a JH-24).

• Members

I like the little areas in the Gibson booth where the guys are actually building guitars while you watch. I had the guy by the 335s build me a Les Paul custom and a few balloon animals in 45 seconds flat.

I'm a little bummed at yamaha's new digital recreation of the cp70 + real grand + electric pianos etc in a weighted-yet compact form....they have this beautiful and long brochure proudly detailing the journey to get from the cp70 and cp30 days to here & now...

And then.....they totally leave the cp30 sounds out of the 2 new digital versions. The cp30 had some of THE most interesting sounds.....and it's still not represented in digital or vsti or anything else.

I think the cp30 is simply too hard to do...even for Yamaha.

I like the little areas in the Gibson booth where the guys are actually building guitars while you watch. I had the guy by the 335s build me a Les Paul custom and a few balloon animals in 45 seconds flat.

I'm a little bummed at yamaha's new digital recreation of the cp70 + real grand + electric pianos etc in a weighted-yet compact form....they have this beautiful and long brochure proudly detailing the journey to get from the cp70 and cp30 days to here & now...

And then.....they totally leave the cp30 sounds out of the 2 new digital versions. The cp30 had some of THE most interesting sounds.....and it's still not represented in digital or vsti or anything else.

I think the cp30 is simply too hard to do...even for Yamaha.

I'd love to hear a CP30 recreation... that was a big part of Greg Hawkes' rig on the first few Cars albums.

Archived