Boxplot and Windows 7 x64

• Members

My best suggestion - Vmware player, its the same as microsoft virtual machine (which you cant get because you're on home premium) more or less, but free and actually better in many ways.

Once you've installed that, you'll need an installation disc for Windows XP (or torrent a dodgy copy) and install it on the virtual machine.

Not for the PC beginner I'm afraid but a good solution for many compatibility problems.

Steve.

• Members

Once you've installed that, you'll need an installation disc for Windows XP (or torrent a dodgy copy) and install it on the virtual machine.

I actually have a copy of XP Home that isn't presently being used on a machine - but it was registered once so dunno if that will work (or work for long)?

Oh, and I can get the Microsoft Virtual machine - just not the XP part of it.

• Members

Oh, and I can get the Microsoft Virtual machine - just not the XP part of it.

Chuck your XP disc into your CDROM drive. Now go to the microsoft Virtual Machine shortcut (wherever it is on your machine, probably on the start menu)

You should end up with what looks like a regular folder, called virtual machines.

At the top of this window you should have an option saying 'create virtual machine'. Create a new virtual machine, call it whatever you want. Now you'll have a file in the folder with the name you just chose. Double click on it, it should pick up on the CD ROM you have in the drive.

Now install XP :)

If you come into trouble activating it...try giving microsoft a call, tell them you're transferring it to another computer. As long as its not an OEM version I believe you have the right to move it to a different machine. I've also heard of instances where people have reinstalled their locked copies of XP onto other machines without difficulty so...heres hoping! :D

Steve.

--Edit

My machine has 2GB of RAM, I gave my XP virtual machine a gig. If you have 4 gigs give it two. For what its worth the VMware machine runs faster if you fancy giving that a go instead of the microsoft virtual machine :) Instructions are decent as well.

• Members

How old is the program you are using? You should be able to download a newer version that will run with your new OS.

Nope, the program was never updated to 32 bit. It pretty much worked great so the author never updated it.

I'll probably move to WinISD Pro . While it seems to have been also abandoned (in 2004) it is a 32 bit program.

Archived