Kurzweil PC3X sample RAM possibility?

Hermis

• Members

Kurzweil PC3X sample RAM possibility?

Hi everyone!

I am going to acquire a mint PC3X tomorrow and I have been researching the instrument a bit regarding the possibility of it accepting sample RAM. I know this has been discussed in other threads and posts, but there seems to be inadequate info and analysis on the subject.... in particular, there seems to be a general consensus that only the pc3k series is capable of sample loading due to "differences in hardware" between the PC3 and the Pc3k, but no-one seems knowledgeable as to what exactly these differences are. The fact is that both keyboard designs are almost identical and both have two expansion DIMM sockets each which look identical. Moreover in PC3X 's service manual, available on the web it is clearly stated that in test mode the expansion DIMM sockets are tested for both READ and WRITE, indicating that there probably has been consideration for a sample RAM board option already at the launch of the PC3X... (WRITE would be needed only for RAM expansion and not for ROM which by definition is Read Only Memory).... Has anyone considered these facts? Do you think there is hope for a new PC3X firmware that would allow sample RAM to be installed to it? I would be very interested to hear any input on this...

Best regards

Hermis

• Members

Thanks for the input delaware dave, I am aware of the facts that you mention. The purpose of my post was to investigate if anyone has a clue what the second expansion socket is for, taking into account what the service manual implies... Kurzweil has had the habbit of upgrading past synths out of the blue... thanks anyways, Kore64 is def. a planned future addition

Archived