Sign in to follow this  
Freeman Keller

An OM for Danocoustic

I want to share this just because its so, well, I don't even know what to say. A few posts back I mentioned that I have become allergic to CA glues, which unfortunately I use in about every project I do. Idunno made this suggestion

Seek ye some of this, Freeman.

https://www.hotmelt.com/products/low...oom-super-glue

And I decided to give it a try. First of all, I pay 6 bucks for a one oz bottle of CA from StewMac, its a little less at the hardware store. This stuff was 40 bucks for a 2 oz bottle. I figured my health was worth it, puckered up and ordered two bottles. With shipping, ninety bucks.

Then I get a message that they are out of stock and it will be a couple of weeks to ship.

Then my credit card gets hit, they have my money.

Today the package arrived. Each little bottle was wrapped in brown paper and packaged in a box (the white things). The boxes were wrapped in brown paper and packaged in a big box (pretty well hidden). The whole thing weighed one pound 11 oz (including the two bottles of glue) - the packaging was a pound and a half.

This stuff better be good. And it should be obvious that I won't be ordering any more

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32490037}[/ATTACH]

Oh, and I got an e-mail from them today asking what I think of their product......

Just so you know that I'm still working on it, here's a brief update. Lots of little things that aren't particularly showy or very photogenic - lots of sanding, leveled the frets and dressed the ends. This is my big heavy flat beam, its go 120 grit on one side for sanding wood, 400 on the other for leveling frets

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","height":"575","width":"863","data-attachmentid":32490518}[/ATTACH]

The other thing I did was the head inlay.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32490519}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32490520}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32490523}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32490522}[/ATTACH]

Ho, hum.... Slow progress, but some progress.

Drilled and reamed for the tuners

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32494517}[/ATTACH]

Added the fretboard side dots

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32494515}[/ATTACH]

and the heel cap (another scrap of Brazilian)

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32494518}[/ATTACH]

and even more flossing

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32494516}[/ATTACH]

Checked the neck angle

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32494523}[/ATTACH]

I'm happy

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32494520}[/ATTACH]

So here we are

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32494521}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32494522}[/ATTACH]

Weather is getting nicer, maybe I'll start pore filling tomorrow

• Like 1

Ho, hum.... Slow progress, but some progress.

Drilled and reamed for the tuners

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32494517}[/ATTACH]

Added the fretboard side dots

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32494515}[/ATTACH]

and the heel cap (another scrap of Brazilian)

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32494518}[/ATTACH]

and even more flossing

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32494516}[/ATTACH]

Very nice. I'm sitting here eating popcorn and the thought of flossing seems rather appropriate right about now! :D

The weather got nice so I started finishing. '

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32500317}[/ATTACH]

I could post a whole lot of pictures of paint drying, but you know what they say. This is six coats on top and back, I'm going for 20 or so

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32500316}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32500318}[/ATTACH]

Don't look too close

• Like 3

Got all of the finish on and its had almost two weeks to cure, so I gave it a little buff today and put the neck on

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32506251}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32506252}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32506253}[/ATTACH]

I've been poring through this thread to get inspired to pick up my long-neglected projects. I don't think I have what I need to get one done so quickly though.

BTW, I'm loving the dark binding against the mahogany. I did the same with my first build and I'm so glad I did it. Going with black plastic was NEVER an option. Under finish it looks sweeter than chocolate and peanut butter. Rosewood tastes spicier though!

ahmmm i think you forgot the bridge :D

Well, we have a choice. Belly

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32506473}[/ATTACH]

or pyramid

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32506474}[/ATTACH]

hmm... first i was belly for sure, but then i thought stop, its not a dreadnought, its a smaller size, and now i'm not sure anymore...

maybe a full size pic with the complete neck, to see the full dimension would help... but i don't have a say anyway :)

edit: i did not mean dimension, i mean proportions, i hope its now clearer what i meant

Edited by t_e_l_e

Here you go. Remember that this is a 14 fret guitar with a paddle head and an OM is what I would consider a "medium" sized guitar. Back in the day they mostly used pyramid bridges on small 12 fretters (and slot heads)

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32506511}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32506510}[/ATTACH]

that two pictures definitely help me for my decision. for me its belly. i think its important if it is a 12 or 14 fretter, on a 12 i would also want the pyramid, but not on this guitar.

i'm curios what dano will decide

hope everything went well with his surgery

I'm partial to the pyramid but as t_e_l_e said, it's not my guitar. If Dano ever comes back from his latest ban he can put in his 2 cents.

dano is banned? what happened?

He couldn't control his impulses over in Political Party. 2 months for personal attacks. I've bumped heads with him a few times myself; it doesn't always take much. I just checked and he's still banned. :(

Edited by DeepEnd

Bummer. FWIW I stay away from politics in general and PP in particular. They should just get rid of it altogether IMO.

Once that decision was made it was time to move forward. Made about a hundred measurements, drew some lines on pieces of tape, measured some more

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32508268}[/ATTACH]

Protected the top and stripped the lacquer off the footprint and a small area of the fretboard extension

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32508269}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32508270}[/ATTACH]

Made a small relief around the edge of the bridge where it sits over the finish, got the clamping caul ready (does anyone remember the great KBK Bridge Caul saga?)

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32508271}[/ATTACH]

Smeared some glue on it and clamped it in place

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32508272}[/ATTACH]

Cleaned up the mess and opened a cold beverage....

• Like 1

Made a nut

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32509425}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32509426}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32509427}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32509429}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32509428}[/ATTACH]