An OM for Danocoustic

Freeman Keller

• Members

Back to the guitar. I cut the fretboard down to width and sanded the sides perfectly straight

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32481126}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32481124}[/ATTACH]

Found something the right shape for the end. Sane radius that I used for the head end.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32481125}[/ATTACH]

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Seems to be working. Remember that I can only attach five pictures to each post, but that's OK since I'm trying to cover one part of the build with each one. So, lets see - we've got the fretboard cut to size, the neck is still slightly oversize. Next step is to inlay the dots. Well, in this case, diamond

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32481342}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32481344}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32481341}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32481343}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Then fret it

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32481348}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32481347}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32481349}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32481350}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Mean time, I glued a piece of that Brazilian scrap onto the head

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32481352}[/ATTACH]

Routed a channel around the edge

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32481353}[/ATTACH]

Got out the hot pipe and bent a piece of binding

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32481355}[/ATTACH]

And glued that in place

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32481356}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Scraped and sanded that back

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32481359}[/ATTACH]

Sanded the top of the neck and back of the fretboard dead flat

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32481360}[/ATTACH]

Smeared some glue on them

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32481361}[/ATTACH]

And clamped together

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32481362}[/ATTACH]

Whew.

• Members

I want to show Dano some pictures of where it stands right now so we can talk about some options. The rest of you might as well watch over our shoulders. Here is the guitar with the neck on it right now

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32481486}[/ATTACH]

This is what I am thinking of for the headstock inlay. Also you can see some of the brown streaking in the ebony of the fretboard. I'm trying to decide whether to dye it black of leave it.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32481484}[/ATTACH]

And here are two options for bridges - belly and pyramid

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32481485}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32481487}[/ATTACH]

• Members

The first photo in post #88 made me very excited. Wow. It's really coming together!

The headstock work (second photo) is especially nice. I love the look of it. Outstanding, truly perfect.

That headstock inlay is what I was hoping for and expected. My guitar-player buddies will ask me who FK is, and I'll have a good story to tell, with lots of documentation.

I prefer the look of the pyramid bridge. Looks "vintage" to me. I like that.

I'd like the bridge and fretboard to match, so I guess staining the 'board is the proper way to go. Doesn't need to be "higher grade", naturally black ebony. Fiebing's stain has worked well for me. I'm sure you have a favorite.

Thanks, FK.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hasn't been a lot of activity. I lost about a week with my little hic-up and had to order more diamonds. The neck has been refitted and I'll probably do the headstock inlay in the next day or two. Its been really cold here and I'm really not in a hurry to start finishing until it warms up a bunch. Besides, the skiing has been really good.

• Members
Hasn't been a lot of activity. I lost about a week with my little hic-up and had to order more diamonds. The neck has been refitted and I'll probably do the headstock inlay in the next day or two. Its been really cold here and I'm really not in a hurry to start finishing until it warms up a bunch. Besides' date=' the skiing has been really good.[/quote']

Ah, comprendo. I also have several projects on hold due to the weather. Got a Frankentele body I want to strip but no way I'm doing it in the house.

Very odd weather yesterday/this morning. Went from subfreezing (typical for early March here) to 45o and raining with 20+MPH wind.

I bet you'd be amused by what we call "ski resorts" around here :D

• Members

I bet you'd be amused by what we call "ski resorts" around here :D

We have one downhill ski area 12 miles from our house, another about 60. The elevation at the house is 800 feet, the base of the ski hill is 4200, the top is 6700. Some of the local back country skiers have put tracks all over the foothills behind town. We also have world class cross country skiing between one and two hours drive and of course the entire Cascades (and volcanoes) are our summer play ground.

Looking out the window its a beautiful cold morning, as soon as breakfast settles we are heading for the hills.

• Members

We had another cup of coffee and decided to take our classic XC skis up to a little area. We had skied at the down hill area friday and will probably do it again tomorrow so 8 or 10K of track skiing seemed a good idea. I did get a few guitar projects off my bench so your guitar moves back into play, but honestly I don't want to think about finish until it warms up a whole lot and I'm not that far from spraying some lacquer.

• Members
We had another cup of coffee and decided to take our classic XC skis up to a little area. We had skied at the down hill area friday and will probably do it again tomorrow so 8 or 10K of track skiing seemed a good idea. I did get a few guitar projects off my bench so your guitar moves back into play' date=' but honestly I don't want to think about finish until it warms up a whole lot and I'm not that far from spraying some lacquer.[/quote']

I really enjoyed XC skiing when I was able to do it. Still got my Fischer skis/boots, Salomon bindings, Exel poles. Haven't used them much in about eight years, since my first stroke. I tip over way too easily now. Tried a few years back---it was pretty comical.

Anyway, I certainly understand about weather and finishing. I'm not in any big hurry. Was just checking. You know how to do this---no worries.

• Members

RH here is 29% and I’m making jigs while you guys loaf around! ;-)

By the way, my wife has been trying to get me to commit to a trip for my 50th birthday in July. I went through my bucket list and one by one the choices were poo-pooed. Key West? Nope, apparently it’s not my scene. Lake Tahoe? Too hard to get to, even though I have family in Reno and Carson City.

My next choice is Whistler, BC. I haven’t skied in decades though, but I’m lookong forward to taking mountain biking lessons this spring. Too bad Larrivee shut down their factory in Vancouver though.

• Members

My next choice is Whistler, BC. I haven’t skied in decades though, but I’m lookong forward to taking mountain biking lessons this spring. Too bad Larrivee shut down their factory in Vancouver though.

We like Whistler and Vancouver and the whole of B.C., but then its in our back yard. We can drive up to Whistler in a reasonable day. Vancouver is a very cosmopolitan city and the drive up the coast to Whistler is stunning any time of the year. There is a pretty thriving lutherie community left in Vancouver - no one quite like Larrivee however.

Back to Dano's OM. Did a little work on it today but things keep getting in my way

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32489429}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Is that Martin in front a DM or a DX1up front? I'd be paying to keep a DM in shape. Those things - and the all gloss D-16s - were real gems. You don't see many on the used market.

I hear you on looking at places in my back yard. I'm hoping to do a lot of travel this summer. I'm looking to kick it off with my annual jaunt over to visit the McKnights, who I consider to be closer than family. Meanwhile, Niagara is 5-6 hours away and I'm pushing for us to all go up there for our 20th anniversary the following weekend in June.

Whistler isn't actually on my bucket list. I should actually be going to either Denver or Reno to visit with family. My elderly aunt and uncle are well into their 80s now and their health is declining. I'd like to see Lake Tahoe and Yosemite again. Reno is a backwater airport though; it's not nearly as cosmopolitan as Las Vegas, San Francisco or Vancouver.

TBH, I'd be happy just getting away for a week on my own at Blues Creek Guitars (about 4 hours east of me) for a guitar building course. I'd bring my own materials of course but John Hall has a full workshop and a set process that I need to learn to follow. I'd love to be able to finish up a build (not counting finishing) in 4 days then on Friday go on a day trip over to Nazareth, then head south to the northwest Philly suburbs. I have some old friends there who I would like to reconnect with.

Getting back to the woodworking though; I hear you on the delays as well. The RH in my shop dropped below 30% which would put the moisture content of my projects below the ideal 6%. Things are on hold and I'm more intent on painting.

Archived