An OM for Danocoustic

Freeman Keller

• Members
Plans to use any toner? Most hog guitars look like a darkening toner is applied before the finish. I use it on 1/8 scale 1930's Chris-Craft R/C runabouts and it really brings the red out of the wood when the (epoxy) finish goes on.

My old 12-string is bubinga, which has similar coloring to mahogany. If you look closely you can see a fine line along the binding where there was no toner applied and the wood is lighter. I actually prefer natural mahogany and it looks like Dano does too.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Got it bound. I had bent the binding back when I did the sides and just put them away. First step was a couple of coats of shellac on the top to try to keep it from chipping during the route and to keep the tape from pulling fibers out. Then I ran it around my channel cutter thingie

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32476731}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32476732}[/ATTACH]

Put the end graft in. I had some scrap Brazilian rosewood and thought I'd better use it before I died. It will be rosette, end graft, head plate and heel cap.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32476733}[/ATTACH]

Taped the binding in place. The top is getting rosewood binding with four little lines of purfling, the back gets rose and a thin line of maple on each side to make it stand out

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32476734}[/ATTACH]

The respirator has become an absolute necessity for me - I am really sensitive to CA. The white thing is an industrial plastic that super glue doesn't stick to, I can hold the binding tight while it kicks off. A little pipette to apply between the pieces of tape

Working the binding around the guitar adding the thin maple piece

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32476735}[/ATTACH]

• Members

I put a little drop of thin CA between each piece of tape and let it kick off, then I pull the tape and come back and wick thin CA all along the seam. Its kind of like a welder clamping and tack welding two pieces of metal together, then coming back and running the bead. The CA seeps out into the mahogany but it will clean up fine. Main thing I'm looking for (just like a welder) is good penetration.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32476740}[/ATTACH]

A little scraping and sanding

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32476743}[/ATTACH]

And the top

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32476741}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32476742}[/ATTACH]

• Members

From the CA?

Yeah, I knew it would happen. Normally I would have taken this outdoors but its all cold and snowy out there so I did it in the garage. Wore the respirator, got outside as quick as I could, took a couple of hits on the albuterol and my nose is running like a river today. Wish there was a better way but the CA works so well that its hard to give up.

Maybe next time I'll take it up to my buddies paint booth. He pipes outside air into his breathing mask while he's shooting some of the really toxic stuff. If I had everything cut and fit I could put the Darth Vader mask on and do it all in one shot.

Anyway, your guitar is bound (except for the head and the inlay) - today i'll do some sanding.

• Members

Yeah, I knew it would happen. Normally I would have taken this outdoors but its all cold and snowy out there so I did it in the garage. Wore the respirator, got outside as quick as I could, took a couple of hits on the albuterol and my nose is running like a river today. Wish there was a better way but the CA works so well that its hard to give up.

Maybe next time I'll take it up to my buddies paint booth. He pipes outside air into his breathing mask while he's shooting some of the really toxic stuff. If I had everything cut and fit I could put the Darth Vader mask on and do it all in one shot.

Anyway, your guitar is bound (except for the head and the inlay) - today i'll do some sanding.

Don't hurt yourself with it, brother. Not that important.

And take your time. I'm in no great hurry. Very enthused about this project, but kinda got more immediate priorities presently.

• Members

I can't recall, but did you put a "spit" coat (1 pound cut) of shellac on the wood early on? Gathering by how clean the routing for the binding shelves went I'm assuming that that was enough to prevent tearout or the CA bleeding into the end pores?

I'm not trying to call you out; I'm trying to remember in anticipation of this step which has caused me to be severely hesitant. I have a pint of 1lb cut shellac currently dissolving and this thread is motivating me to move forward.

• Members

There are two thin coats of shellac on the top, they went on back when I did the rosette. That seemed to prevent tear out of the spruce during the routing but the channel was definitely fuzzy. I probably need to replace that bit - its done two dozen guitars so I think I've amortized it.

I did get a little bit of tear out of spruce fibers from the tape. That is always a problem - if you stick the tape on really tight it can pull up wood, if its not tight enough the binding may not be all the way in the channel.

On of the trickiest parts of building, I'm always happy when its done. I'm satisfied with this one.

• Members

With the body bound I can bolt the neck on and start fine tuning the geometry. Floss the cheeks a little

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_5014.JPG Views:\t1 Size:\t116.9 KB ID:\t32478631","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32478631","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

Level the upper bout. The carpenter's level has sand paper on the bottom - I want an absolutely smooth transition from the neck to the body and absolutely no hump. I can tolerate a bit of fall off, but this doesn't have any which is even better

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32478635}[/ATTACH]

Neck is very slightly overset, which is better than under. I'll have another chance when the frets are in, but for now I'm pretty pleased

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_5020.JPG Views:\t1 Size:\t99.4 KB ID:\t32478633","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32478633","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

• Members

i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar, i don't need another guitar

:)

• Members

Hi t_e_l_e !!

I'm your feminine voice and of course you need another guitar just like you need another purse or another pair of shoes! very-happy.png.197c47f720636f02390cc2b0a33804da.png' alt='smiley-veryhappy'>:smiley-lol::rolleyes:

Ok! I'm out of here!! sm-toungesm-lol

sm-explode

• Members
Hi t_e_l_e !!

I'm your feminine voice and of course you need another guitar just like you need another purse or another pair of shoes! very-happy.png.197c47f720636f02390cc2b0a33804da.png' alt='smiley-veryhappy'>:smiley-lol::rolleyes:

Ok! I'm out of here!! sm-toungesm-lol

sm-explode

if i would have more time to play my accoustic i would definitely want to have my life time accoustic be built by freeman.

but i have a nice recording king dreadnought sitting on its stand and i'm not allowed to play it cause kids complain it disturbs them and when they are asleep i can just play my strat unplugged and do excerises

so a premium accoustic would not be played either and it makes no sense to invest money in it

• Members

if i would have more time to play my accoustic i would definitely want to have my life time accoustic be built by freeman.

but i have a nice recording king dreadnought sitting on its stand and i'm not allowed to play it cause kids complain it disturbs them and when they are asleep i can just play my strat unplugged and do excerises

so a premium accoustic would not be played either and it makes no sense to invest money in it

Some day the kids will be older, they'll want to borrow your guitars and you'll need to get at least another one, maybe more! ;-)

• Members

Seek ye some of this, Freeman.

https://www.hotmelt.com/products/low-odor-low-bloom-super-glue

• Members

psst! i'm already at 12 guitars, and i'm lefty and my kids are not :)

Omg! I’m not even sure my local music shop has 12 lefty guitars!!

I hope they didn’t tie your left hand in your back, like they did for someone I know to force her to write with her right hand, during her first year at scool!

• Members

Omg! I’m not even sure my local music shop has 12 lefty guitars!!

I hope they didn’t tie your left hand in your back, like they did for someone I know to force her to write with her right hand, during her first year at scool!

not all of them are lefty, some are hendrixed :)

and no they didn't tie my left hand, but when i started school i broke my left arm and they forced me to learn to write with my right hand and only years later after some psychological tests i was allowed to write with my left hand. this was a also a reason why i started learning guitar as lefty...

• Members

Even today in some cultures putting your "best foot forward" is the right one, and you always shake another man's hand with your right because it's assumed you wipe your shady side with the left. So, when you are invited to another man's house you enter with your right foot and shake his hand with your right hand. Who knows who dreamt this stuff up but that was in the customs and courtesies guide for a country I was doing business with and had to visit. Guitars could not be found but if there was one to be had I would have needed special permission to play it. When in Rome...

Anyway, lefties are still considered biologically engineered backwards in parts of the world and those who are born that way are quickly "corrected" by their parents (or else).

Archived