An OM for Danocoustic

Freeman Keller

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Are you requesting the inside of the guitar to be, shall we say..., fancy? beyond signature of builder?

Nah, I'm just foolin' around with Freeman. Jokes based on another thread. Silliness.

He's building me a beautiful instrument and I am very appreciative of it.

• Members

So, we have roughed out the neck, routed a truss rod channel and cut the shape of the tenon. Lets get back to it

Cut the shape of the neck heel

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32466963}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32466964}[/ATTACH]

Thinned the back of the neck with the Safety planer. I've got a little shim under the nut end to establish the taper from heel to nut

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32466965}[/ATTACH]

Band sawed off the side taper

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32466966}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Start trimming the sides of the neck. I want these absolutely straight and exactly the right width at the nut and body

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32466972}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32466970}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32466971}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Now the real fun starts. The basic instructions for making a neck is to start with a hunk of mahogany and remove everything that isn't a neck.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32466975}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32466976}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32466978}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32466977}[/ATTACH]

Getting closer

• Members

i'm always facsinated by this. this time you have a lot pictures of the prep work, and then you start the hand carving, when i would need to do it my self i cannot imagine that my end product would be soo smooth and so balanced, my neck would have chunks and dinks, the left side would be more rounder than the right, straight line would be almost none existing.. it would definitely not look like a neck not a very playable one...

how you can do this? howcan you have so much patience for the detailed work? its defeinitely something i can't...

• Members

I carve wood figures of animals. All of it is done with machine tools, mostly rotary using various sizes/shapes of burrs and sanding drums, giving a continuously smooth progression from start to finish without tool marks typical of chisels and draw knives. Rotary tool work done inside a vacuum box (think paint booth) leaves no dust or chips or scattered debris to breathe or clean up.

That said, I've also used chisels and draw knives enough to develop deft use of them. Of the two methods, the former is a commercial style of quick production and the latter an art form. It also begs the craftsman to learn how to put a keen edge on his tools. Both demand learned use but the hand carving does provide a better sense of the carving craft.

• Members

Progress has been a bit slow - we took a little trip down to Oregon to see Richard Thompson - but I've been plugging away. Installed the neck bolts in the heel

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32472157}[/ATTACH]

Checked the fit and access to the truss rod adjuster

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32472159}[/ATTACH]

(Dano, its 3/16 allen wrench, I'll try to remember to include one)

Took one last look at all the neat stuff inside

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32472158}[/ATTACH]

and closed the box

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32472160}[/ATTACH]

• Members

WHOA NELLY!!! You forgot the artwork on the inside :eek:

...heh heh...

Beautiful. Very nice.

I have a set of T-handle allens, including 3/16"---it's about 9" long---might be too long for this. They have that cool ball-end feature so I don't want to cut it down. Minor issue.

• Members

Plans to use any toner? Most hog guitars look like a darkening toner is applied before the finish. I use it on 1/8 scale 1930's Chris-Craft R/C runabouts and it really brings the red out of the wood when the (epoxy) finish goes on.

• Members
Plans to use any toner? Most hog guitars look like a darkening toner is applied before the finish. I use it on 1/8 scale 1930's Chris-Craft R/C runabouts and it really brings the red out of the wood when the (epoxy) finish goes on.

Dano and I have discussed this, he said that he doesn't think he wanted any. That would be totally fine with me because I'm going to use a bunch of maple purfling lines when I do the binding and those darn things just soak up stain. Here is another mahogany guitar that I just finished - I pore filled with Zpoxy and I'm pretty happy with the way the color turned out. This one also used rosewood binding (like Dano's) and has the little maple line between binding and the mahogany - its hard to see in the picture . Anyway, this was sort of the color I was hoping for but I can certainly stain if that's what he wants

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32472734}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32472735}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Yep. Looks fine au natural. Zpoxy is my go-to filler. Is the mahogany in the pic the same as on Dano's? The stuff has some tree/tree hue variations and one never knows how much red there is in the wood to pop until the finish goes on. The electric looks nice without the toner.

BTW, nice work Freeman. You need to record it before you send it off to Dano. Make it a part of your build records.

Archived