Instrument breakers

1001gear

• Members

Pete Townshend has broken probably more guitars than anyone else I can think of. :idk:

Personally, I greatly dislike the idea. I get the theater of it, and the punk aspect, but I'd rather see those instruments being placed into the hands of underprivileged kids instead. YMMV.

Strange I only vaguely recall that. It seems some people just get a gold pass. :D

No love for Kurt Russell? First time up and he's 1 for 1.

That clip is just heartbreaking to watch. :cry: The sheer terror on the face of Jennifer Jason Leigh is quite real, because she knew it was the real 140+ year old vintage Martin, but apparently Kurt was unaware that it was the real instrument and not the reproduction that he was supposed to smash instead.

[video=youtube;5SSFASO1XvY]

Did Tarantino do it deliberately to get an "authentic" reaction from JJL? I don't know... but Martin isn't loaning out any priceless vintage guitars to movie producers anymore, and if he did do it deliberately, that's despicable IMO. She's a good enough actor that IMO he could have gotten a completely convincing reaction from her to Russell's character destroying one of the reproductions instead of the irreplaceable original from the 1870s.

• Members
Pete Townshend has broken probably more guitars than anyone else I can think of. :idk:

Personally, I greatly dislike the idea. I get the theater of it, and the punk aspect, but I'd rather see those instruments being placed into the hands of underprivileged kids instead. YMMV.

Put me in the "I don't get it" camp as well. Granted I've never been a serious Rock fan but it just seems kinda dumb and a waste. El Kabong should have stayed a cartoon.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"ElKabong.jpg","data-attachmentid":32435093}[/ATTACH]

• Members

not that much as you would expect. there was a guitar world or so article years ago or somewhere else, which explained that pete has smashed the same guitar(s) over and over again and it was "repaired" always for the next show and that it was really surprise how often he could smash a guitar and repair it and it still be playable and stayed in tune at least for one song...

so it was just a couple, maybe less than ten or even less over his whole career...

• Members

THIS KID. :facepalm: @ 3:50. I get that it's probably a cr@p bass, but still...

[video=youtube;f3zRegfwEkg]

The instruments that SHOULD be smashed include harmonica and accordion, but NOOOO, that never happens! :lol:

Also, there was this charming video from teh ATEYS. Multi-instrumental smashing!

[video=youtube;-sFK0-lcjGU]

• Members

I remember when one of the guitar mags tried to make Brad Delson from Linkin Park pose for a spread like he was smashing a guitar, and he couldn’t do it, kept cracking up and looking like an 8 year old, so they just gave up trying. Not a huge fan of his music but liked that he was such a laid back dude that thought it was too silly to do.

• Members

not that much as you would expect. there was a guitar world or so article years ago or somewhere else, which explained that pete has smashed the same guitar(s) over and over again and it was "repaired" always for the next show and that it was really surprise how often he could smash a guitar and repair it and it still be playable and stayed in tune at least for one song...

so it was just a couple, maybe less than ten or even less over his whole career...

That maybe explains why he hasn't been kidnapped by terrorists.

Archived