Thoughts on Shure PSM 400 wireless bodypack/mixer

• Members

Beware of buying used. The older versions are now in the illegal band. I own a couple and they are good units. I don't have the mixer though. Take a look at the Audio Technica M2. They can be had new for under $400. If you're interested PM me and I'll tell you where. Cool thing about the Audio Technica is it has an ambient microphone input on the body pack.

• Members

Thanks for the heads up/warnings as i do my research on IEM's.

I have a few other questions, I'm sure they must been discussed before so any links would be appreciated.

1.) How do you know which "Band" to ask for A, B, G etc?

2.) Should you plan other devices to not over lap (Mics etc)

3.) How important is staying with same brand for this concern?

I really do appreciate the advice, thanks again.

• Members

1.) How do you know which "Band" to ask for A, B, G etc?

You need to know what TV channels are operating in your area and plan around them. www.fccinfo.com Once you figure that out you need to figure out what channels in your intended area of use will be on the FCC's protected list. It's the closest to Ch37 one above and one below that are vacant (with some exceptions). Your best bet for the future is to get units that can operate on the protected channels. The more "holes" that your block can operate in, the better chance you will have of finding clear channels

2.) Should you plan other devices to not over lap (Mics etc)

Well you can only operate so much radio in a given space. So say your protected channels end up being channels 36 and 38. You'll have the best luck if all of your devices can operate there. If you can pick a block that does both you'll have an easier time of it. It is possible to operate radios in other channels, but it will likely become more and more difficult to do so.

3.) How important is staying with same brand for this concern?

The trick is not being the same brand ... but channels and frequencies that can operate together without causing "intermodulation" issues to each other. This is easier to figure out if you stay with one brand because the manufacturer will likely have already done the work for you.

• CMS Author

Here is the list from the FCC.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/wirelessmicrophones/manufacturers.html

and Shure

http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/tech_pubs/@global_managed/documents/webcontent/pdf_us_frequency_list.pdf

Sorry, what am I missing here?

You stated the 400 was "always okay", implying that it is legal to operate now.

The links and the info I've seen all state that it's a 700mHz unit, and therefore illegal.

• Members

I got the 400 and 600 mixed up. Originally I told the OP to beware of great deals on used 400s. Then I misunderstood Don's post as stating they are legal, not illegal. I questioned myself because I did a half assed job of reading the posts. I stand with my first post warning the OP. Sorry about the confusion.

• Members

Yes ... the 400 is available in the X band and would be legal ... IF you have a license. This is the STL band (Studio-Transmitter Links) as is really intended for Broadcaster use only.

You need to get approval to be able to purchase X band systems.

• Members

Yes ... the 400 is available in the X band and would be legal ... IF you have a license. This is the STL band (Studio-Transmitter Links) as is really intended for Broadcaster use only.

You need to get approval to be able to purchase X band systems.

Several have brought this up already in other threads and believe that this is a low risk scenario if you don't have a license - unless something has changed.....

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2692739-Shure-PSM-400-IEM&p=41234792&highlight=#post41234792

Below is what ZZounds has on their website regarding the X1 band:

Manufacturer's Description for Shure P4TRE3/PSM400 Wireless Personal Monitor System

Consumer Alert

Most users do not need a license to operate this wireless microphone system. Nevertheless, operating this microphone system without a license is subject to certain restrictions: the system may not cause harmful interference; it must operate at a low power level (not in excess of 50 milliwatts); and it has no protection from interference received from any other device. Purchasers should also be aware that the FCC is currently evaluating use of wireless microphone systems, and these rules are subject to change. For more information, call the FCC at 1-888-CALL-FCC (TTY: 1-888-TELL-FCC) or visit the FCC's wireless microphone website at www.fcc.gov/cgb/wirelessmicrophones

NOTE: None of the wireless systems we carry are capable of violating the FCC guidelines stated above. We are presenting this information as a matter of legally required disclosure.

Per the FCC website, below is the following:

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/wirelessmicrophones/FAQs.html#faq3

Archived