iNuke (new from behringer)

• Members

"440/880/1500W, 8/4 and 2 ohm. Bridged mono 1500w @ 8 and 3000 @ 4"

Those are peak numbers, do they list an RMS with both channels loaded and driven? I'd say it's more like 220 watts into 8, 440 into 4 and 750 into 2 ohms. Looks like it starting to current limit into 2 ohms, otherwise it'd be 880 into 2 ohms.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Those peak numbers are almost identical to Behringer's EPX2800. RMS figures per channel for that amp are listed, which are:

350 @ 8

600 @ 4

990 @ 2

1220 @ 8 ohm bridged

2000 @ 4 ohm bridged

RMS figures listed by Behringer for the nearly identical EPX2000 are more specific, listing them as both channels driven 20-20k @ 0.1% THD:

350 @ 8

600 @ 4

950 @ 2 (1%)

1200 @ 8 bridged

1900 @ 4 bridged (1%)

I'm guessing from the similarities in the peak figures that the RMS numbers for the NU3000 will be somewhere in this area.

But that's just a guess.

• Members

I've been running two Behringer EPX4000s bridged into 4 ohms hard all summer - on sub duty. I've been very impressed - and somewhat surprised actually. They're the coolest running amps in the rack and they are doing by far the most heavy lifting. Hopefully the NU3000 will give you the same results.

Oh yeah - limiting sucks. I have it switched out and have that covered in my Driverack. Other than that they're perfect.

• Members

It doesn't look like they have the proper equipment to measure class D amps. Look at all of that carrier frequency on the scope, are they adding that to the measurement? Has the scope been calibrated?

Without seeing one, I would think the high voltage rails would be a little under 80 Volts, to get a swing of 76 Volts into 2 ohms would be nearly impossible. The rails in the IPR are about 78 Volts and it produces more power than the NU3000, from their limited specs.

• Members

Actually I have no interest at all in it's sine wave rms rating. I'll be feeding it something with a crest factor of 15db and see what it's real world output is
:)

The peak rating is just a math conversion, has absolutely nothing to do with dynamics or crest factor other than the steady state 3dB shape of the waveform.

• Members

Then explain the German magazine test results please
:)

Looking at the pics, I'm cautious that Soundman may be correct about the test being measured and calculated incorrectly. It sure looks to be a lot of ultrasonic stuff shown in that pic.

• Members
Looking at the pics, I'm cautious that Soundman may be correct about the test being measured and calculated incorrectly. It sure looks to be a lot of ultrasonic stuff shown in that pic.

Those photos aren't from the German magazine test - some other bunch (Danish).

• Members

Do you have a link to the German test? Sorry if I missed it.

Link to discussion of Danish test:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/behringer-inuke-power-amplifiers-788601/

German Magazine test:

http://www.tools4music.de/uploads/tx_wmitt4marchiv/1311083916_%20032_038_Behringer_low.pdf

Discussion of (with some translation):

http://forum.speakerplans.com/inuke-nu6000_topic48860_page7.html

BTW I'd be quite interested in seeing burst ratings for the IPR's :) .

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Enough with the specs - how do they sound? Does anyone here actually own one of these yet? How does the sound quality compare to conventional amps? I'm online and ready to buy one now, I just haven't been able to find any real-world reviews on how they sound.

What about the lightweight Peavey power amps - how do they sound compared to conventional amps? I'm sure that Behringer's iNuke amps are knockoffs of Peavey's IPR series. They even copied the DSP versions. Smooth. That is why Americans are out of work. But hey, we want cheap gear - right?

:idk:

• Members
Enough with the specs - how do they sound? Does anyone here actually own one of these yet? How does the sound quality compare to conventional amps? I'm online and ready to buy one now, I just haven't been able to find any real-world reviews on how they sound.

I've not had a chance to use mine "in anger" yet. But power amps pretty much all sound the same. Unless you really need the bridging capability (and 99% chance you don't) I'd buy an IPR3000 instead, see my comments about that in this thread.

What about the lightweight Peavey power amps - how do they sound compared to conventional amps?

They kick arse on subs no prob. I have an IPR3000 too.

I'm sure that Behringer's iNuke amps are knockoffs of Peavey's IPR series. They even copied the DSP versions. Smooth. That is why Americans are out of work. But hey, we want cheap gear - right?

Um... IPR's are built in China too :freak:.

• Members

Who cares how they sound if the fail... reliability and honest specs are much more important than price (to me anyway).

Class D is so tempting, but I think I'm going to wait this out for a year or so. By then we should know who is - and is not - making reliable Class D power amps.

• Members
Class D is so tempting, but I think I'm going to wait this out for a year or so. By then we should know who is - and is not - making reliable Class D power amps.

I don't think they will ever be as reliable as the "heavy iron" amps like the RMX line. Peavy's IPRs have a five year warranty - that's good enough for me :) .

• Members

Since the specs of the NU3000 seem to fall somewhere in between Peavey's IPR1600 and IPR3000, I wouldn't make that assumption myself. I believe that Behringer has been in the Class D business for longer than Peavey has too - in their powered mixer and speaker lines.

I think the NU3000 is pretty close to the IPR-1600 once you translate consumer marketing power to real world power...

• Members
I think the NU3000 is pretty close to the IPR-1600 once you translate consumer marketing power to real world power...

I consider 20ms burst power to be more "real world" than continuous RMS so approve of 'ringer's specs. I've asked here if Peavey has any burst specs for their amps so they can truly be compared but so far nothing. I suspect Peavey's rails are more "solid" than 'ringers to get their RMS ratings up but 'ringer seems to have the lead on publishing "real world" specs so far IMO. What I really want to see is their peak voltage outputs with 15db crest factor pink noise into various loads - that would emulate "real world" usage pretty closely. Sine waves do not. YMMV

• Members

I consider 20ms burst power to be more "real world" than continuous RMS so approve of 'ringer's specs. I've asked here if Peavey has any burst specs for their amps so they can truly be compared but so far nothing. I suspect Peavey's rails are more "solid" than 'ringers to get their RMS ratings up but 'ringer seems to have the lead on publishing "real world" specs so far IMO. What I really want to see is their peak voltage outputs with 15db crest factor pink noise into various loads - that would emulate "real world" usage pretty closely. Sine waves do not. YMMV

You are missing some VERY critical information here... or trying to justify something that just doesn't hold up in the real world.

a 20mSec burst rating is 20 cycles (or periods) at 1000 Hz, or 2 periods at 100Hz or 1 period at 50Hz. That sure as hell isn't going to be real world for any bass guitar or sub applications and I also suggestthat it's not real world for much below 200Hz.

Also, do you know for sure that the burst rating is really based on tbe RMS voltage at the end of that period? I suspect (though have not tested) that this peak power rating is based on peak voltage and may or may not have anything to do with a burst RMS rating of any kind.

Also, if dynamic range is important, you might wantto look at the burst RMS rating as say 100mSec which is MUCH more real world oriented. 20mSec is fine for say 500Hz on up, but that's not real world for most of the applications I suspect this amp will be used in.

• Members

I consider 20ms burst power to be more "real world" than continuous RMS so approve of 'ringer's specs. ...but 'ringer seems to have the lead on publishing "real world" specs so far IMO.

The problem is there is no accepted "standard" for burst testing audio amplifiers. When I was with Peavey we did burst test early versions of the IPR amps and the numbers jump up quite a bit. Other manufacturers have been providing burst test specs for years ... notably Yamaha and the king of burst spec power figures Lab Gruppen

Archived