iNuke (new from behringer)

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

Every reputable place I've checked still says preorder - available sometime this summer. Amazon, Musician's Friend, and American Musical don't even list it at all. I may well be crazy but I've been kind of following this amp - as well as the Peavey IPR6000.

• Members

Every place I've checked still says preorder - available sometime this summer. I may well be crazy but I've been kind of following this amp - as well as the Peavey IPR6000.

One vendor says June, a couple others don't say they are backordered at all. I'll let you know what happens.

BTW this guy is 3kw per channel @ 4 ohms - the mythical IPR6000 is only 2kw. How are we supposed to blow stuff up with only 2kw into it? :lol:

It has a 30 amp mains fuse so I can't figure that it's not rated in real watts.

• Members

And all from (according to the picture on the site) a standard IEC 120V power connector. Simply astounding. It must have an internal perpetual motion machine to provide the extra power...

You are correct. By my thumbnail calculation, pulling 6,000 watts from a 120 volt circuit would require 50 amps, and that's assuming 100% efficiency. Almost all outlet are rated at (and have circuit breakers for) 15 or 20 amps. I glanced over the weblink and the PDF brochure, I didn't see any disclaimers about "peak power." Amplifier power ratings are supposed to be standardized so consumers can make a fair comparison between products. "Peak Power" or "Momentary power" is complete marketing bull{censored}, and is basically illegal to advertise peak power specs per the U.S. Federal Trade Commission. The only rating that matters is continuous RMS power.

... as there's no standard to which anyone is forced to comply.

In the United States, there is most definitely a standard, and has been since 1974.

.... n the US on May 3, 1974, the Amplifier Rule CFR 16 Part 432 (39 FR 15387) [3] was instated by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) requiring audio power and distortion ratings for home entertainment equipment to be measured in a defined manner with power stated in RMS terms.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_power

• Members

They wont hit stores until late October at the earliest (the amps with the DSP that is). At least thats what Behringer is telling me. I cant speak for these particular amps , but from personal experience , a few years ago , I was running a Carvin rig with all Carvin DCM amplifiers and I replaced them with Behr EP2500s and I was much happier with the Behrs. Im not trying to blow smoke here , Ive been a Behr dealer for a long time and there was a period where I had a LOT of gear coming back dead or with problems , but I havent had a single Behr return in the last 2 years.

• CMS Author

You are correct. By my thumbnail calculation, pulling 6,000 watts from a 120 volt circuit would require 50 amps, and that's assuming 100% efficiency. Almost all outlet are rated at (and have circuit breakers for) 15 or 20 amps. I glanced over the weblink and the PDF brochure, I didn't see any disclaimers about "peak power." Amplifier power ratings are supposed to be standardized so consumers can make a fair comparison between products. "Peak Power" or "Momentary power" is complete marketing bull{censored}, and is basically illegal to advertise peak power specs per the U.S. Federal Trade Commission. The only rating that matters is continuous RMS power.

In the United States, there is most definitely a standard, and has been since 1974.

From Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_power

Pro audio is not "Home Entertainment Products", which is what CFR Title 16, Part 432 applies to.

• Members

Pro audio is not "Home Entertainment Products", which is what CFR Title 16, Part 432 applies to.

Thank you Craig!!! This is one of the most misunderstood concepts, along with power consumption characteristics which do not relate to continuous power because that's not how the product is designed to be used and no speakers would survive under those conditions at that kind of power level. The power consumption is based on between 1/8 and 1/3 rated power depending on the application.

Without a doubt these will be peak ratings. That's how most of their newer and larger amps are rated.

• Members

There are two kinds of people.

Those who can't figure out why everyone bashes behringer

Those who have bought a behringer product.

It might be a good deal if you don't need it to work, and you don't want your speakers either.

Frank

• Members

It looks like Pseudo-Pro audio has finally finished the transition of emulating car audio specs :rolleyes:

Kind of odd that they'd market it this way actually. Even the chronic overpower junkies may shy away from the perception that they are pumping that many watts into their Yamaha Clubs.

The name is priceless though.

• Members

Hey, while you're "here" and all ;) - what would you consider the most watts out to expect from a class-D sub amp run off of a 15V 15A circuit? AFAIK they are about 66% efficient (?) and if you believe subs are generally run at the 1/3 power point (?) an amp rated at 3000w into your loads would be actually delivering 1000w which is about max for a single 15A circuit? I've seen a 8Kw amp driving four double 18's off of a 115V outlet and I just can't imagine that being a good idea?

• Members

Hey, while you're "here" and all
;)
- what would you consider the most watts out to expect from a class-D sub amp run off of a 15V 15A circuit? AFAIK they are about 66% efficient (?) and if you believe subs are generally run at the 1/3 power point (?) an amp rated at 3000w into your loads would be actually delivering 1000w which is about max for a single 15A circuit? I've seen a 8Kw amp driving four double 18's off of a 115V outlet and I just can't imagine that being a good idea?

120 volt, 15a is 1800 watts

Good Class D w/ SMPS will be on the order of 85% efficient

For subs, I would look at 25% duty cycle (1/4-power) as a reasonable number (the larger the amp the less you are going to want to beat on it for the speaker's sake)

So 1800 x .85 = 1530 watts available at 100% duty cycle

1530/.25 = 6120 watts available at 25% duty cycle

Of course, this is theoretical, adding in the practical deratings for power cable losses, breaker trip curves, etc, I would reduce this by 20% (4900 watts) and it should be relatively accurate. As the duty cycle increases to say 33%, the available undistorted or unlimited power will decrease.

• Members
Good Class D w/ SMPS will be on the order of 85% efficient

I'm a bit confused by Peavey's spec on their 1600. They say at 1/3 power its "current draw" is 1160 watts. 1600/3/1160 = 46% efficient ? Of course they have the "current draw" rated in watts so whoever wrote that was probably too busy sticking their head up their arse to ask one of the engineers what the real numbers are :lol::facepalm: .

Archived