VOM1T December 2018

garthman

• Members

The last VOM of the year.

I'm doing a carol called "There is no rose of such virtue". The words are medieval c. 1420 - a time when the rose was considered a sacred flower that symbolized the meeting of heaven and earth in the Virgin Mary. The tune is by British composer John Joubert. He wrote the music for a 4 part choir singing in harmony but I've used the melody line, standardized the responses and simplified it somewhat to create, I hope, a more medieval sound.

There is no rose of such virtue.

https://app.box.com/s/gbe6zxxdnqsskio5kk2n

There is no rose of such vertu

As is the rose that bare Jesu;

Alleluia.

For in this rose contained was

Heaven and earth in lytle space;

Res miranda.

And by that rose we may well see

There be one God in persons three,

Pares forma.

Now leave we all this earthly mirth,

And follow we this joyful birth;

Transeamus.

• Members

I'll be back later to review everyone's holiday offerings.

I have two New Year's songs. One for New Year's Eve & next month for the New Year.

This one is my favorite. Unfortunately, my voice is shot & I can't sing it.

It has some pretty good lyrics too.

Here's to Your Health My Friend

(Who Knows?) M. Ellis & P. Streit

I hope this new year will be your very best one

So here's a toast to honor our host,

Father Time

Friends to the end of the line

Here's to your health my friend

And here's to mine

Who knows where we might all end up tomorrow?

I wish you luck and if you need a friend you just call

A friend till the end of the line,

And here's to mine

HERE'S TO YOUR HEALTH MY FRIEND (WHO KNOWS?)

• Members

Garthman: Lovely tune. Thanks for reaching back in history & performing that for us. It was true.

Deep End: Yes. It's original. I wrote it about 20 years ago & just re-recorded it this month.

There are chord changes in that song I forgot how to play.

If anyone can sing it in "F" (or maybe I could transpose it), PM me or let me know in this thread.

• Members

the music sounds wonderful, very good recording .i guess the acoustic is playing the vocal melody, it sounds quite complex, good luck with that.i`d like to have heard an acordian(squeeze box) instead of the strings, just out of curiosity ,i think it would suit it. great stuff anyway,hope the voice gets well soon .happy xmas.

• Members

Hi Howard great choice of song ,you sounded more like Roger Waters than ever with this one ,it has a "Set the controls for the heart of the sun" vibe going off .great stuff, happy crimbo.

My choice is the John Lennon x mas tune ,i`ve just re recorded it with an Edirol UA-25 interface sound card i picked up in a second hand store for £30 last week,i couldn`t believe the quality of it when i got it home,but it is made by Roland so it should be good,it has an optional limiter on the mic input pre amp which seems to level things out nicely. Done on my Tanglewood Koa tuned down a tone .happy xmas.

• Members

Here's another twofer. Back in the day I was a fan of "Hee Haw" and especially of the late Roy Clark. He was one of my early inspirations There was a running series of short skits featuring Roy and "The Empty Arms Hotel." Here's a typical example:

[video=youtube;JFaxpQ9xKY4]

I've had the idea for a song about the Empty Arms Hotel rattling around in my brain for years and I finally finished it just before Roy passed away. FWIW, I'd never heard of Reg Lindsay's song of that name, from his album "No Stone Unturned," until I was ready to record mine but I see he got there first. Anyway, here it is, "The Empty Arms Hotel," dedicated to Roy Clark: https://soundcloud.com/david-phelps-...pty-arms-hotel.

For my second song, something for the season that I wrote six years ago, "The Manger Of Love." If you've been around for a while, you've heard a different recording of this: https://soundcloud.com/david-phelps-...manger-of-love.

• Members
The last VOM of the year.

I'm doing a carol called "There is no rose of such virtue". The words are medieval c. 1420 - a time when the rose was considered a sacred flower that symbolized the meeting of heaven and earth in the Virgin Mary. The tune is by British composer John Joubert. He wrote the music for a 4 part choir singing in harmony but I've used the melody line, standardized the responses and simplified it somewhat to create, I hope, a more medieval sound.

There is no rose of such virtue.

https://app.box.com/s/gbe6zxxdnqsskio5kk2n

There is no rose of such vertu

As is the rose that bare Jesu;

Alleluia.

For in this rose contained was

Heaven and earth in lytle space;

Res miranda.

And by that rose we may well see

There be one God in persons three,

Pares forma.

Now leave we all this earthly mirth,

And follow we this joyful birth;

Transeamus.

Hello Garthman!

I like your song! It makes me think of Pinkfloyd and I'm a big fan! Very cool!

It also makes me remember old memories when I was a child, playing with chess pieces and imagining the lives of ancient kings, queens, knights, etc at their era (I was much too young to know how to play chess at that time!)

• Members
I'll be back later to review everyone's holiday offerings.

I have two New Year's songs. One for New Year's Eve & next month for the New Year.

This one is my favorite. Unfortunately, my voice is shot & I can't sing it.

It has some pretty good lyrics too.

Here's to Your Health My Friend

(Who Knows?) M. Ellis & P. Streit

I hope this new year will be your very best one

So here's a toast to honor our host,

Father Time

Friends to the end of the line

And here's to mine

Who knows where we might all end up tomorrow?

I wish you luck and if you need a friend you just call

A friend till the end of the line,

And here's to mine

HERE'S TO YOUR HEALTH MY FRIEND (WHO KNOWS?)

Hi!

Cool song! I was listening to the Eagles in my car, tonight and your song has their vibe! Congratulations! Very well done!

• Members
Hi Howard great choice of song ,you sounded more like Roger Waters than ever with this one ,it has a "Set the controls for the heart of the sun" vibe going off .great stuff, happy crimbo.

My choice is the John Lennon x mas tune ,i`ve just re recorded it with an Edirol UA-25 interface sound card i picked up in a second hand store for £30 last week,i couldn`t believe the quality of it when i got it home,but it is made by Roland so it should be good,it has an optional limiter on the mic input pre amp which seems to level things out nicely. Done on my Tanglewood Koa tuned down a tone .happy xmas.

It sounds very good! I like this song! And I can't wait till friday at 19:45 ! Vacations for 12 days! Yess!!!

You have a great voice!

• Members

I used Garage Band and toyed with Drummer for the drum track. I bought an Ipad Pro 12" but then had buyer remorse and returned it. Now, I miss it! I thought it was very expensive for something without USB ports, not too much memory, no keyboard, etc, but I liked Garage Band and it was easy to carry. The pen works well too. Now, I want one again... well, at least I have my Ipad Mini 4.

I discovered Drummer and it's easy to use. It's intuitive and it's fun. I wish I could play drum like that but, unfortunately, no! It's a virtual drummer who did it in Garage Band! He is much tighter than me!

For bass, I used a bass sound and a virtual keyboard also included in Garage Band. I recorded the guitar with a Zoom H1 and my Yamaha THR10. (It was noisy in the room and the sound could be better. I should have recorded directly the guitar from the USB port of the THR.)

Well, It's all in good fun!

• Members

Misha - I know what the rules are but they're usually not one take. If nothing else, I start and make a mistake and start over. I've also changed mike positioning and on the first complete take of "The Empty Arms Hotel" the guitar was way too prominent. "The Manger Of Love" was a single take after a flub or two. I'm glad they sound "fluid" though.

catscurlyear - I usually do them as solos because there's no "music," it's all in my head, no more than a page of words and chords, and sometimes just words. I can barely read music, much less write it. A couple of years ago I did do one of my originals with the praise band though. I'd had the song transcribed and then did my own arrangement. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

• Members

Misha: Nice to hear your music. I never could figure Garage Band software out.

It sounded good. Really good bass tone.

CatsCurlyear: Fantastic guitar tone. Fine vocal. Nice recording.

CatsCurlYear comment to me:

"i`d like to have heard an acordian(squeeze box) instead of the strings, just out of curiosity..."

It would work.

Next month, my New Year's offering will have a prominent musette part.

Deep End:

Empty Arms Hotel: Loved it.

Manger of Love: Very good. I never had the inspiration to write a Christmas song. Congratulations on that.

• Members
Misha: Nice to hear your music. I never could figure Garage Band software out.

It sounded good. Really good bass tone.

CatsCurlyear: Fantastic guitar tone. Fine vocal. Nice recording.

It would work.

Next month, my New Year's offering will have a prominent musette part.

Deep End:

Manger of Love: Very good. I never had the inspiration to write a Christmas song. Congratulations on that.

thanks Etienne ,i`m glad you like the tone ,i have always liked the sound of this guitar ,the strings i have on could be a year or so old and i don`t plan to change them untill i have a break ,they are just a bog standard set of d`addario 12`s .

• Members

Great stuff from everyone. Great to see you contributing, Misha, well done and hope you can make it next time.

Have a good holiday, people, and perhaps use some of the time to lay down some music for the next VOM which will be the weekend of 19th / 20th January.

• Members
. . . Deep End:

Thanks. "The Manger Of Love" is my second Christmas song. The first was "Two O'clock On Christmas Morning," a Simon and Garfunkelish tune. I'm currently working on a third called "The Fourth Wise Man."

Archived