"Torrefied" soundboards

Danocoustic

• Members

I hear you saying “I think I hear an improvement”, not “there is most definitely an improvement”. That sounds like you hear no improvement, but you really WANT to hear improvement, so you’re going with that. :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I hear you saying “I think I hear an improvement”' date=' not “there is most definitely an improvement”. That sounds like you hear no improvement, but you really WANT to hear improvement, so you’re going with that. :)[/quote']

Well, Neal, it's not a magic wand, and I didn't expect it to be. I do believe I hear an improvement; you may certainly interpret that any way you care to. I'm not saying there is DEFINITELY an improvement because I have no way to quantify that. To my ears, it helped. If I heard no improvement, I would say that. What that "sounds like" to you is beyond my control.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I'm one of those dummies that have a Yamaha LS16 ARE with soiid rosewood b&s. I know how they sounded pre- torrification and how they sound now. It's a big difference in immediate sound. I don't believe the wood is any weaker. they don't just bake the wood. It is pressurized besides being dried out. Only potential problem is they have no idea what the long term effect of the drying process will be by Yamaha's own admittance. I'll be dead before it has any long term deterioration anyway. lol

• Members

The way the process works is wood is heated to 250 degree range for 20 hours. It is slowly cooled so it dries out. It is then reheated to over 400 degrees drying it out completely and treated with water vapor to prevent the wood from becoming to brittle to work with.

Archived