"Torrefied" soundboards

Danocoustic

• Members

Okay.

Maybe the guitar is a little brighter, a little "fuller". Honestly, it's hard to tell. I didn't put on fresh strings, and these were already pretty well worn before I started.

My wife has an inexpensive laminate-topped Rogue guitar that hasn't been played in quite a while. I'm going to play it some this afternoon, pay close attention to how it sounds, then put the device on it tonight.

Really need a new guitar to test this thing properly. Maybe I'll have Freeman build me one.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Personally' date=' I think it's all hype. Most luthiers worth their salt don't just buy materials and work with them straight away. They stockpile stuff for decades. You're actually supposed to let wood acclimate for several months before working with it. A lot of what's on the market is kiln dried as well. Torrification just seems to be a fancy word for baking it to speed up the process. I imagine it's not much different than baking a souffle; keep the heat low and keep a constant eye on it and the proceed cautiously or it will implode.[/quote']

This custom Tele i have has the time stamped in the wood that it stood and matured before it was made into a guitar.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"tele.jpg","data-attachmentid":32422903}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Marketing ploys, like Taylor's V-bracing, etc., will always sell and get the fallen innocents (shills) to bandy about them less they lose their public credibility as smart buyers. After all is discussed and darts retrieved (peace), everyone has a different ear to swear buy.

But...

The thing about the so-called torrefaction is the absolute glaring lack of any sonic reference to that piece of wood before application of the process. This confirms hype until otherwise proven. In other words, it will never achieve credibility as a proven process.

• Members
Marketing ploys, like Taylor's V-bracing, etc., will always sell and get the fallen innocents (shills) to bandy about them less they lose their public credibility as smart buyers. After all is discussed and darts retrieved (peace), everyone has a different ear to swear buy.

But...

The thing about the so-called torrefaction is the absolute glaring lack of any sonic reference to that piece of wood before application of the process. This confirms hype until otherwise proven. In other words, it will never achieve credibility as a proven process.

Wow.

Good thing we've got your cutting-edge perceptions to steer us straight when we deviate from your approved thought process.

:rolleyes:

My original response would've gotten me banned.

• Members

This custom Tele i have has the time stamped in the wood that it stood and matured before it was made into a guitar.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"tele.jpg","data-attachmentid":32422903}[/ATTACH]

What's that bolt sticking out the top of the bass-side bout? Leftie strap button?

• Members

a B Gender the bolt is the fine tuner so that when you pull up the strap holder the bolt will only let it go so far and the bend will not over shoot out of tune.The knob behind the bridge holds the B string and it turns when you pull on the strap holder to raise the pitch of the string.

• Members

The problem with any heating process is that it destroys the cell walls of the wood. Nothing beats time. Basically what is left behind is a honeycomb of cellulose and lignin. Very strong. Very light weight. Very low damping.

Torrefied tops might look old with the yellowing. They might be light weight from being dried out. But the damping factor is higher and the strength isn't there.

• Members

Wow.

Good thing we've got your cutting-edge perceptions to steer us straight when we deviate from your approved thought process.

:rolleyes:

My original response would've gotten me banned.

Glad I could aid in expanding the tunnel-vision of another person. Now you are possibly curious enough to stand outside the box of your preconceptions and influences to focus on all possibilities rather than notions of specifics.

• Members

Glad I could aid in expanding the tunnel-vision of another person. Now you are possibly curious enough to stand outside the box of your preconceptions and influences to focus on all possibilities rather than notions of specifics.

Well said and true.

• Members

I know nothing about building guitars but I'm skeptical about this process.

How do you test the results? How do you measure them in decades?

1. On a tone-rite, at least you can test two guitars w/ sound boards cut from

the same piece of wood at the same time. Over the requisite brief period -

there are results that validate or invalidate the device.

2. With the Torrefied process, I guess you could test two soundboards cut from the same piece of wood - one torrefied & one not.

BUT...

3. How do you measure those results in decades?

It is #3 where any claims of aging logically fall apart. How do you measure it in decades?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi all, I'm back from my little "vacation" :wave:

Okay, here's the deal. I put the device on Cinny's all-laminate Rogue for 72 hours and by gosh, I think I really DO hear some improvement! It hadn't been played much in quite a while. I played it for half an hour and paid close attention to its sound, then used the Tone-Rite. Purely subjective, I admit---and despite one poster's assumptions, I had very little preconception or expectation. I think it sounds richer and fuller after the "treatment".

So I put it back on the all-'hog guitar for 72 more hours. Same thing. I believe I hear improvement.

There ya have it.

Archived