VOM1T November 2018

garthman

• Members
MrHarryReems - Both were well done. Always glad to hear from you. )

Many thanks!

Sorry you couldn't hear them. When I try to upload music to my usual hosting site I get a "Security Error" message and I haven't heard back from their tech support.

Maybe try instaud.io, or vocaroo.com for the time being? I really want to hear your songs!!

• Members
Sorry I'm late to the party this month, no excuse but laziness on my part.

Garthman: I love this. I'd heard *of* this song, but I'd not heard it. The guitar is very well played, and well sung. Very good job from start to finish, and being a Scottish tune gives it extra points. ;)

Etienne: As DeepEnd stated, Honky Tonk can be deceptively difficult, but you pulled it off. Nice work on the guitar especially, and good work pulling it all together. I did notice what seemed to be a bit of a timing issue toward the beginning, but I also know that much like Scottish music, this sort of music often lends itself to peculiar timing. You said you were going back to the synths last month, and I'm glad you didn't. I really appreciate hearing your music month to month.

DeepEnd: I can honestly say that these are the two songs this month that I most wanted to listen to, and the links aren't working!! Any chance you can upload to something like instaud.io??

catscurlyear: Dude, you did NOT disappoint with this one. I was thoroughly impressed with this fabulous arrangement of a great tune. Fabulous job!

Here are my subs for this month:

The first one is a song about a Scottish whaling ship that was reportedly written by one of her' sailors just before her last voyage, where she was caught in an ice flow and went down with all hands.

The Bonnie Ship The Diamond

I recorded this one with the following:

Taylor 814ce

Squier J bass

Muramatsu EX flute

I cheated on this one and layered in a Carvin DC400W electric guitar over the choruses.

The vox, guitar, and flute were recorded with an Avantone CV-12 tube mic, the bass and 'guest' guitar with a GLS Audio ES57.

There's still a bit too much punch in the snare, so it could use a bit more work in the mix.

The second one is an interesting tune. There are many versions of this song, from sailor shanties to chorale versions, to things you wouldn't sing in decent company. It's mostly used in reference to Irish seamen coming home for the winter. I really wrote the arrangement to use a fiddle as the lead instrument, but since I don't play one of those, you get the flute.

Whup! Jamoboree

I recorded this one with the following:

Taylor 814ce

Dean 6 string banjo

Dean acoustic bass

Muramatsu EX flute

Everything but the bass was recorded with the Avantone. The bass was a blend of the ES57 and a DI.

Cheers!

-Reems

HI Mr HarryReems enjoyed these two very much The Bonnie Ship The Diamond sounds great no probs with the snare at this end ,it gives it plenty of energy.

Whup! Jamoboree ,ha ha funny lyrics,,great recording and performance,banjo and flute sound great when they come in ,nice mix ,very nice vocal performances on both songs ,excellent and we can say" as usual" now

• Members
Many thanks!

Maybe try instaud.io, or vocaroo.com for the time being? I really want to hear your songs!!

Okay, I signed up for a Soundcloud account, which I probably should have in the first place. Here are my songs:

Failure To Launch:

The Land Of Love:

I hope they were worth the wait. ;)

• Members

Thanks for doing that! That should make your tunes more accessible.

So, I'm a huge sci-fi fan, and I've never heard of this before. SO cool. Both songs are well written, and I really love the thematic approach. The Land Of Love had some great sweeping melodies that really capture the listener. Thanks again for making sure I could get a listen.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I know it's closed but I found my old vocal version of the New Year's Eve song I offered this month.

Since it's New Year's Eve, I hope you don't mind my taking the liberty.

Wow, it's better than I remember - better than the instrumental version I submitted.

So happy new year. Here's to your health.

Edited by Etienne Rambert

• Members
I know it's closed but I found my old vocal version of the New Year's Eve song I offered this month.

Since it's New Year's Eve, I hope you don't mind my taking the liberty.

Wow, it's better than I remember - better than the instrumental version I submitted.

So happy new year. Here's to your health.

Well done. Thanks for posting, in a way it made the year complete. I'm a bit surprised you didn't bump the December VOM but I'll take it. A Happy and prosperous New Year to you and yours. :eatdrink060: