Stupid speaker wire question.

• Members

I have always bought 16ga "speaker wire" complete with 1/4" ends on it, for my monitors. Since I always switch the ends to 90 degree Neutrik ends, I have no need for the included 1/4" ends.

This being said, can I buy any 16ga AWG wire and use that for speaker wire?

Thanks in advance.

• CMS Author

Well, not "any" 16ga. You probably want something that's got black outer jacket, is durable and handles well (doesn't kink, figure-8's nicely, etc.). I would recommend 16/2 SJOOW rubber-jacketed cable, which can usually be found at the big-box home improvement stores, and of course at your local electrical supply. Carol is a very well known brand that works well.

• Members

Ah ok. I always use these...

218260675.jpg

After an over enthusiastic performer made a monitor rock back and snap off a straight plug, I've switched to those. I've had good luck with them, but will keep a few extras handy to change in the heat of battle...

• Members

Well, not "any" 16ga. You probably want something that's got black outer jacket, is durable and handles well (doesn't kink, figure-8's nicely, etc.). I would recommend 16/2 SJOOW rubber-jacketed cable, which can usually be found at the big-box home improvement stores, and of course at your local electrical supply. Carol is a very well known brand that works well.

Thanks!! I found 100' of this by Carol for $45.00

Perfect!

:thu:

• CMS Author

it really would be better to use speakons for the connectors. It's not hard to switch them over. My general rule is that anything over 100 watts gets a speakon if possible.

Agreed. Especially with floor wedges, where a 1/4" plug can be partially pulled out by a band or audience mamber, which will test your amp's short-circuit protection.

• Members

How robust are the 90 degree speakons? With the straight ones I would run into the same problem, with them being broken if the monitor was accidently rocked back onto it. Monitors are yorkville YX12's, and the input jacks are not recessed into the cabinet.

:facepalm:

• Members

Yes, buy 14ga minimum for mon and FOH, then it doesn't matter what is for what. And install NL4MPR's on your speakers. Even if the connector sticks out, who cares. Loop it under one of the feet and it'll keep it out of harms way. 1/4 connectors can come loose and dead short and amp, much more likely to happen on a wedge than FOH speaker.

• Members

90 degree speakons are a great idea that does indeed suck in practice, at least for me. ANY inset of the speaker Input Plate makes them hard if not impossible to use. They would NOT work on Yorkville U15s and it was a major PITA to use them on the aftermarket replacement panel I put in my Yammy SM12IVs. Great design from Neutrik though in that an NL4FX can be switched form straight to 90 degree and back without removing the wire from the contacts. Unfortunately, expecting the speaker makers to change over in any way to accomodate these, like they did for the original speakons, was asking a bit much. I swapped all my NL4FX-RA back to straights long ago.

Boomerweps

• Members

I have 2 sets of FOH cables. Each pair is 14ga, and has a 25' and a 50' cable. One pair have NL4FX on both ends, for when I run from my mixer, and the other pair (also a 25' and a 50') have a NL4FX on one end for the U15's and a 1/4" on the other end for my snake. I use a Neutrik 90degree 1/4" on the one end, since my snake has 1/4" outputs at the box. I like the 90degree ends at the snake so there's less chance of something getting kicked over by accident.

I think I will bring back that 16ga wire I bought and get 14ga return the ends and go full speakon with NL4FX for my monitors as well. Thanks for the advice! Luckily, I haven't had the chance to sit down and tear anything open yet, so it's all ready to be returned!

:thu:

• CMS Author

When you get that new cable home, unreel it with the spool on an axle, and try to get it untwisted. Some of that cable really takes a twisty set and has to be wrestled a bit to lay nicely. Sometimes figure-8ing it a few times will do it. I've had some that I draped out on the driveway in the sun to help along.

• Members

I have 2 sets of FOH cables. Each pair is 14ga, and has a 25' and a 50' cable. One pair have NL4FX on both ends, for when I run from my mixer, and the other pair (also a 25' and a 50') have a NL4FX on one end for the U15's and a 1/4" on the other end for my snake. I use a Neutrik 90degree 1/4" on the one end, since my snake has 1/4" outputs at the box. I like the 90degree ends at the snake so there's less chance of something getting kicked over by accident.

??????????????!!!!!! 1/4 speaker cables to be used with your snake??? (see other thread about this)

• Members

??????????????!!!!!! 1/4 speaker cables to be used with your snake??? (see other thread about this)

It's all good, I have the proper snake:

I use 2 of the 14AWG lines for FOH, 2 for monitors, and I use the line level returns to send a line level signal to my two LS800p's. When I upgrade to a StudioLive 24.4.2 I'll get a 24 x 8 snake and leave the amps on the stage.

yorkville-power-snake.jpg

Yorkville "Power Snakes" allow the flexibility of running not only line level inputs and returns, but also speaker level signals. These snakes have 14 AWG speaker cable built into the snake allowing easier setup and cleaner cable runs. These are especially handy when used with powered mixers.

100ft length

16 XLR female inputs on the box, running to 8 XLR male on the fanout

2 1/4" TRS returns, female on the box, male on the fanout

4 1/4", 14 AWG speaker level channels, with female on the box, and male on the fanout

Sturdy metal stage box built for years of use and abuse

• Members

The thing that scares me about the powered snake lines is that all your amps - terminals are now connected. Maybe it's cool but scares me a bit. Neutrik makes a lockin 1/4 D sized terminal (same as XLR) I've used as speaker outputs on a patch panel. I always check that the sleeve isn't shorting to the panel at all, it's isolated.

Archived