Old geezer needs specific drum machine advice

• Members

I'm a 55 yr old guy with an oldies band about to go w/o a drummer. I have read and read about drum machines including most everything on thsi website, but can't seem to get the answer I need, I even emailed some Music companies but still got the runaround (buy our stuff regardless)...this is what I'm looking to find in a drum machine:

-large font or screen, I can't read regular font, and i don't want my glasses on just for this

-simple, unedited rhythm tracks I can access fast and easy--example, if i'm about to play a song, I need to quickly type in the title, or access it with a number (example; "Movin On Over" on my set list has a "55" by it, so I bring up rhythm track 55 quickly and easily.)

-it would be nice to have standard rhythm tracks, edit them on my own to fit a song, punch in a number or type in a song title to get them fast--but this is not necessary, but it would be nice which leads to the final point:

-I DON"T need an excessive amount of buttons, I tend to accidently hit the wrong one on stage, and with a PA, keyboard, guitar, effests, i'm already taking too long between songs. So editing, creating my own, specifics-lots-of-controls-buttons is not necessary or wanted.

Can anyone advise-recommend a drum machine please-please-please?

• CMS Author

I'm no expert by any means.

It sounds as if you might be better served to record your tracks and put them to iPod, laptop, CD player, or other playback device (and have backups for when something inevitably locks up/hangs/crashes/{censored}s-the-bed) so you can queue them in setlist order, and cue them to play without having to type or search.

There are software drum machine applications that might work for you as well or better than a dedicated hardware machine.

I looked into this a while ago as a possible rehearsal tool, and found the learning curve almost as daunting as interviewing drummers who would show up for rehearsal, didn't have to borrow someone's car, and could keep time. As a bassist, however, I found that any automated drumming was boring and I missed locking-in with a good drummer.

• Members

I appreciate the advice--that thought had occured to me, if I had recordings of drum tracks for specific songs on a CD, I know I could easily find/play them. That would definately be the easiest thing for me to do.

My next question would be, where do I find drum tracks for specific songs ready-to-go on the net? Is there a website/place/something I can look for and find this, without using a whole song, editing out all the instruments, etc.? Any suggestions on this?

Archived