Portable Line Array Suggestions

• Members

Always get great suggestions here: Important Background I think most will want to ask first : Track band offering 2,3, and 4 piece options: We play dance music - not acoustic at all. Gear JBL PRX - 2x612's and 2x715XLF Subs. Getting some duo requests in rather tight spaces. Thinking about a Bose Type system but not necessarily Bose. I have heard the L1 many times and although it fills a room nicely I feel it lacks punch for dancing. Any ideas? I have seen (not heard) RCF, EV,JBL Eon One, and also LD Systems Maui28 (that looks interesting). I'm also wondering if down the road if any of these systems could replace my current JBL setup (if I bought 2) - The entire band runs through the system … no amps are used. Thanks in advance everyone - Looking forward to your input.

• Members

You may want to look at DB technologies Ingenia line. They can be used as singles per side or coupled for digital steering. I'll post a video from this weekend. 650 cap room. No amps on stage with all but one on in ears. Tops are the Ig4T with Yorkville ls801pb subs.

A pair may go well with your current subs if they have enough output.

• Members

I've been quite happy with my Turbosound IP2000s. I use a pair for a 4 piece band with edrums, keys and one guitar direct through mixer. One guitarist uses a Princeton Reverb and the bassist uses a small bass amp with an 8" speaker. They have worked well in venues up to 125 seat or somewhat contained small outdoor venues. My wife also uses 1 for her karaoke shows in similar venues. Turbosound also has the IP3000 with larger subs and speakers; i haven't heard or tried them.

• Members

Sound company we use has the 2000 and 3000 series Turbosounds. IMO, they are "just OK", IMO. Acceptable for a neighborhood bar setup playing for 100 people, but not great. I also don't like the proprietary connections that many of these types of systems have. In fact, the sound guy was telling me he has to send one of the Turbosounds in because the top keeps losing connection.

IMO, RCF got it right with the Evox, and the Evox 12 in particular. 15" sub, good SPL, and good old reliable speakon connectors for the tops. Also, unlike most others in the category, the tops can be adjusted up or down and, or separated from the subs altogether. For example, if you wanted some extra oomph and had a stage, you could center cluster the subs and put the tops on the sides. You'd need speaker poles and longer speakons, but still a nice option to have.

• Members

I use the iP1000s, no issues with connectors. You just have to insert them straight and keep them in the carrying bags to keep the connector clean. A little radio shack contact cleaner works wonders too. For the price these are hard to beat. I am very happy with them.

• Members

RCF just came out with the Evox J8 - It has the same power as the evox 8 - the major difference is its made of composite material - it is however about 1/2 the price. I have heard really good things about RCF. I looked at the JBL EON One - about same price as the J8

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I had in the arsenal ip1000, as well as db ES802. The turbine has unclean treble and smeared bass. EC802 is already better, but does not have the properties of a linear array. The representative of the RCF told me that EVOX-8 and ES802 produce almost the same sound, but the ES802 has more possibilities for adjusting the sound, and the system case is made of cheaper material.

ES802 is enough for dance music in a small room for 50-60 people

• Members
I forgot to add that all the "sticks" (with speakers less than 4 ") have one major drawback - a failure in the midbass region. It is this frequency that helps to feel the pressure of sound, the impact

look towards the EVOX-12

I've never measure a "4" inch speaker design but here is my IG4T's compared to a Yorkville EF500p. Both had pink noise sent to them with a 110hz low cut , 12khz high cut. The high cut was to protect the speakers for the short time I had them up to full power. ( Limit lights just starting to flash - first picture ) The Yorkville is listed as 133db peak, the IG4T as 132db peak. The IG4T compares well to a 15/3 inch voice coil horn speaker. 2nd picture is music playing below clipping. Both referenced to 1.19 khz 0db.

EDIT: IG4T is Purple/Lavender color.

419aa5edc9bd4d7f61212ce51aceeae1.jpg.acd1b5db881dee5da2d59d4b5f623400.jpg

e91f7b173db6cee19f5a2d41697cef95.jpg.a3deffdac6484e6a50316fba1445a8f5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I picked up 2 Harbinger MLS900's and was pleasantly surprised by the sound quality and output. The mounting connecting is very secure. These are priced attractively with discounts up to 33% right now.. GC and MF offer 45 day return so give them a try and if they don't work for you, return them. Using these as the practice PA for our band and would have no reservations using them in smaller settings like bars, etc.

• Members

I'm curious to know how the JBL sounds vs the Bose, vs.the Turbosound. I've heard that the bass response is better on the IP2000 than the Bose L1 with a B2 for a fraction of the price, but the IP2000 lacks the sparkle of the Bose. I haven't heard a single thing about the JBL. I plan on a pair of line arrays in 2019, and I'm having a hard time finding a good comparison.

• Members

I've heard the L1's many times and while they fill a room nicely I feel they lack the punch for a dance floor.The Eon One is a much better buy in my opinion as the 6 channel I mixer would allow me to leave my main mixer home. It also has much better low end than the L1. I would love to hear the Turbosound but no one locally has them. I'm also having a problem understanding the wattage ratings. The JBL is 285 watts but the turbosound, ev etc say they are 1400 watts..... As far as Harbinger posted above - I am close friends with a pro service guy and he says Stay Away

• Members
I've heard the L1's many times and while they fill a room nicely I feel they lack the punch for a dance floor.The Eon One is a much better buy in my opinion as the 6 channel I mixer would allow me to leave my main mixer home. It also has much better low end than the L1. I would love to hear the Turbosound but no one locally has them. I'm also having a problem understanding the wattage ratings. The JBL is 285 watts but the turbosound' date=' ev etc say they are 1400 watts..... As far as Harbinger posted above - I am close friends with a pro service guy and he says Stay Away[/quote']

I pretty much ignore the wattage rating and look at the SPL.

• Members

SPL on Eon One is 118 db. The others are higher … 121, 123 I think. I would use this system in small venue applications...50-75 and these rooms require low volume so I don't think I'd have any trouble not being able to get the volume I need ..but it is a lower spl than the others I've looked at too

Archived