Solo Acoustic Performance Setup

75guitar

• Members

Hi,

Would appreciate thoughts on best setup for solo acoustic performer. Using a CRATE Acoustic 125-D amp, SM-58 mic on boom stand, a music stand for songbook, and small Kustom monitor (on mic stand). How big of a room is this CRATE amp good for ? Want to be able to easily reach songbook, turn pages, and not have mic boom in line of vision to songbook. Mostly playing my Taylor 810. Sitting position mostly.

Any setup ideas are welcome! What have your experiences been ? Pics are encouraged if you have them.

Thanks!

Rick

• Moderators

have the boom reach across from your right [assuming you are right handed], and the music stand [actually, I would do whatever I could to avoid the music stand, if it were me. It just says' I don't know my material'] off to the left beyond the guitar's head stock [you are going to be leaning that way anyway]. I use a small 'clipboard' that clips to the mic stand, and I keep my set list [and maybe lyrics to a couple of songs I get confused on] on it.

PRINT EVERYTHING BIG! :cool03:

Crate Acoustic 125-D should have plenty of power for an intermediate room...where it will dis-serve you is if you leave it on the floor. Those 8" speakers need elevation...you don't want 30+% of your sound dumped on the floor in front of the amp. Get an amp stand or put it on a chair. If you position the amp properly, you may not need the monitor. [one less thing to haul/set up/set/cable/tear down]

Good luck!

• Members

Getting the amp off the floor IS very important, I think.

I've got a couple of these folding stools (Walmart - $13.00)

They will get your amp 25" off the ground so your highs don't get lost and you get a better sense of how loud you're playing.

They're very light and folded they lay flat.

e94194ba8cd42a4814bf8507a22cb3a4.jpg.12dd6118e600bfd316217cda7a45de61.jpg

• Moderators

there are plenty of relatively inexpensive mics on the market now that outperform the 'standard' SM58, the Beta is good , but bang for the buck, Sennheiser e835s are, IMHO, the next budget friendly live standard mic...and for the price of the Beta58, there are plenty of other good quality cardioid [and super cadioid] dynamic mics out there

• Members

Hi,

good advice from DaddyMac as as always.

Although I have no experience with a Crate amp, I performed many times with a Roland ac60 in fairly large venues i.e. Seating maybe 50 plus people, it was also fine for small patio gigs. I positioned it on a pole directly behind me ( it has a pole socket ) or in a smaller venue on a table at my side. Therefore your more powerful amp should be fine.

Now when I play venues that don't have there own PA systems, or sometimes even if they do, I use a single Yamaha Dbr10 powered speaker on a pole behind and slightly to the side, depending an how much room I have as I am frequently crammed into a corner. If feedback is an issue, tone fair it seldom is, I find that by moving the speaker directly behind my head to stop it as my body shields the mike and guitar.

I now play sat on a bar stool but still aim to have the speaker just higher than the crowd. This stops the people nearest being blasted out and the sound reaches far further.

I would imagine your amp will have a spread of about 90 degrees there for ideally you will be in the corner of the room so everyone can hear.

I use a TC Helicon playacoustic pedal for both guitar and vocal effects and also for looping. I also use a TCHelicon mo75 mike which I have found bulletproof and gives a warm clear sound.

My Hurcules boom stand sits on my right if room permits and this also holds my tablet holder.

Speaking of which it's been quite a while since I have seen a performer using a ring binder on a music stand, a cheap second hand iPad and Onsong app will allow you to sort your songs in anyway you can imagine, deal with any backing tracks/break music and be far less noticeable and less to carry. ( I will post a couple of picks of my set up and you will se how unnoticeable it is.) (I use a hybrid PRS usually so hat is what the Atomicfirebox pedal is for)

Hope sope of this helps

Cheers Steve

cae2c3a0aa94d95c7f6d89f991999622.thumb.jpeg.42271bba655e07df0871b92abed4ddb2.jpeg

fa12970606deafdb1bb955c94449375b.thumb.JPG.baf1c3d1cda4a69e7baeab7204209384.JPG

d66d3e4c60742b0b322d59c75b8e2301.jpg.6427fc76b139b62fe7893ab1cff18cae.jpg

249f9b756c2abf44cf44341b614089a7.thumb.jpg.a677941d29db14f0be4c265a89bec134.jpg

a088626974795be4a194b0c65868bccc.thumb.jpg.c5707cc1b648626200ab69468a8e96f5.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I would like to offer this option for single powered speaker for solo performance. Especially for those coming to the solo acoustic from bands. You may already have a powered speaker. There are those that tell you not to put a mic in front of a speaker. I have done it for years for small resturaunt venues. I hope this helps someone. These posts are very helpful. I agree with the replies for this post. There is some great advice from seasoned performers. I have a photo, but not from a url.

• Like 1

• Members
On 11/7/2018 at 9:36 AM, daddymack said:

there are plenty of relatively inexpensive mics on the market now that outperform the 'standard' SM58, the Beta is good , but bang for the buck, Sennheiser e835s are, IMHO, the next budget friendly live standard mic...and for the price of the Beta58, there are plenty of other good quality cardioid [and super cadioid] dynamic mics out there

Indeed. I prefer the Sennheiser e835 over the SM58 and the Beta 58. I have a half dozen e835s and the same for the 58s, but when I'm doing live sound, I try to steer the performer towards the e835. The e835s don't have that mid bump that can sometimes get ugly. Having said that, there's nothing wrong with the SM58 if that's what you've got, or that's what suits you best.

• Moderators

I keep a small herd of vocal mics around [SM58, SM57, SM55H, e835, Blue enCORE 100, EV ND967], and I am looking at a few more relatively inexpensive performance mics. To be fair, the ND967 is my personal 'go to' for my gigs, but when I was hosting jams, the e835s and the Blue were the ones on the stands. Not one complaint about the mics, ever.

If you have not tried the Blue enCORE line, the 100 is the 'low end', but absolutely serviceable, excellent clarity and response, but a slightly lower output overall. The enCORE 200 [which looks like it may be discontinued*] is a phantom powered dynamic super cardioid. A problem if you don't have phanpow on your live mixer [I do...:thu:] and I have been toying with getting one [* they are easy to find used at around $75 USD], although the enCORE300 is tempting [phanpow as well] too, but pricier.

A number of players who tried my enCORE100 bought one.

Another 'hundred dollah' one I'm eying is the Beyerdynamic TG V50d, which has outstanding feedback rejection and a built in hi-pass filter. I have not been able to try one out, but I may just take the proverbial chance on that one.

• Members

I had a 125 years ago and it's a pretty strong sounding amp. Record your shows and listen back to how your voice and guitar mesh together. I have an EnCore 300 and it's wonderful! Compared to a dynamic mic, I don't have to stay right on it all the time and can work it back and forth with my background vocals which allows me to blend with my harmony parts live. Here's an example- 

Edited by Gigmeister-8YMGf

• Members
On 10/20/2021 at 5:31 PM, Gigmeister-8YMGf said:

I had a 125 years ago and it's a pretty strong sounding amp. Record your shows and listen back to how your voice and guitar mesh together. I have an EnCore 300 and it's wonderful! However, my new E V Evolve 30 doesn't have phantom power so I am using a cheaper E V Cobalt mic right now that works decent.

The evolve 30 has phantom power on channels 1 -4

• Thanks 1

• Members

I normally stand, but the lounge pictured now has a plexi-screen that works better if one sits. I was partially torn down, but it still shows my tablet holder, the Bose L1 (which I recommend) seat, pedals and guitar behind the chair. I use large enough fonts to read my tablet at a distance. This is the airport gig I've been doing for some time. The L1 works as mains and monitor. There is a second L1 about fifty feet away {it's a huge room} but I don't often use it, because I want to create a quiet zone for those eating or talking.

20211021_220353.jpg

• Like 1

• Members

Btw I am using an "old" Mackie ProDX4 mixer (also have a DX8) because many of the places I encounter have a house system, so having my mixer gives me a level of consistency. I guess if one always used personal gear, then perhaps an all in one PA could be handy. Never been a big fan of all my eggs in one basket - except for the little Bose Si Pro, which is great for small to medium quiet gigs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Nice one DM!

I think the lounge had a bunch of plexi left over from when they had screened off the whole bar. I guess it gives the illusion of safety. Oddly enough, with all the tests needed to fly in and fly out, and our vaccination passports here, I don't feel too nervous playing in that airport lounge.  It is also huge, with really great ventilation. No guarantees, but there aren't any in life anyway.