Thoughts on a corp gig.

• Members

It's been a little while since I've done a large ballroom gig but I though I'd share some bits of wisdom in case anyone steps into that role. The venue was 3 ballrooms opened up into 1, 112'w x 65'l x 18' ceilings. 3 large movie screens that I didn't have to setup. The audio was 4ch of computers, 3 wireless handhelds, 1 lav and a mixture of spoken word and music.

The system was 4 speakers on the outside of the outer 2 screens on sticks splayed about 90deg (12+1" monitors), 1 dual 18 in the front center of the stage and 4 more speakers along the back wall. No traditonal trap boxes used. 4 more wedges on stage for band/artists.

Bring lots and lots of 50' NL2 and 50/100' XLR. It took 5-600ft of each.

Bring at least 6+ NL4 couplers. I had 4 and had to pull an amp out of the FOH rack (unused) and put it in the back of the room to drive the back fill.

2" and 3" gaff is great.

big rooms take waaay longer to setup and involve lots of walking.

Have plenty of XLR turnarounds (used 3+ ea gender), stereo DI's, XLRM & F to 1/4 pigtails, line level isolators, mackie 1202, water, cable trunks, lunch, a script, and a phone with internet or games to pass the time.

The gig went great. 4hr setup, 2hr rehearsal, 1hr show, 1.45hr strike. Anyway I'm just rambling. Oh yeah, pack the box truck only AFTER yor verify it starts and runs. I fixed the lift gate monday and the battery died. I didn't try and start the motor till after the truck was loaded. Next time I'll be smart about it.

• Members

a phone with internet or games to pass the time.

My first corporate gig taught me the value of a deck of cards... I've done quite a few high-dollar corporate gigs since then and we have a lot of things that we keep handy for showtime. Every rack drawer has at least one deck of cards in it, one of our FOH racks has a dartboard screwed to a slide-out drawer, and my partner's monitor drive rack has a slide out LCD monitor and an atari 2600 that's been gutted and mounted in a rackmount chassis.

• Members

I've found that when doing speakers around the perimeter a delay isn't needed. You're ears will pick up the nearest ones with plenty of intelligability, plus the added complexity of that extra wiring would exceed any profits I'd have made for the event. I agree that a delay is used when then source is on one side of the short wall, in this case it was center of the long wall. The 2 main clusters were 60' apart (30' from center). I did delay the sub on the DRPA 10millisec, not that it did a whole lot.

Archived