Blown Cans

Idunno

• Members
I guess the real question is why is this thread in the Acoustic Guitar forum??

Erm, because the OP is an acoustic guitarist and he's used to posting here? I mean, heck, when mom passed away I posted it here because this is where my HC "family" is.

• Members

It wasn't because I need new cans and knew that people who record acoustic guitar and contribute to the VOM1T would be product savvy. It wasn't because the (ever-buoying) topic of acoustic guitar discussion here, having reached apogee 10 years ago, couldn't stand the strain of an occasional OT respite. It wasn't because I'm a rebel and always looking to sabotage any system mired in convention. Finally, it certainly wouldn't have anything to do with the recording of acoustic guitar as opposed to any other instrument. I suppose I should rephrase the question to better suit the forum.

To all of you who get such great recordings of your acoustic guitars, if you're monitoring them when recording what cans would you suggest? There, though not entirely cleansed of the dreaded OT slime I originally slipped it under the door with, it does seem more charmed by innocent intent that before. I was wondering why I was losing sleep since posting this thread.

• Members

That's not even a question for most of us. You are too new to remember when coming to this forum was like walking into a room full of friends, family and acquaintances. We talked about a lot of different things, some more acoustic-guitar-related than others. We had our fights, we had our fun, we helped each other out of many a tight spot, we played and shared music. Many of us old-timers still adhere to our old ways from back in the day we didn't need moderators or net nannies, and nobody got too fussed about somebody saying a cuss word or going OT. HCAG has gone through several incarnations, much to the detriment of the camaradarie we used to know here, but some of us still adhere to the old ways because good old friends are never ignored or forgotten.

Additionally, it's not even a question for anyone who records with... ahem..... an **acoustic guitar**.

• Members

It wasn't because I need new cans and knew that people who record acoustic guitar and contribute to the VOM1T would be product savvy. It wasn't because the (ever-buoying) topic of acoustic guitar discussion here, having reached apogee 10 years ago, couldn't stand the strain of an occasional OT respite. It wasn't because I'm a rebel and always looking to sabotage any system mired in convention. Finally, it certainly wouldn't have anything to do with the recording of acoustic guitar as opposed to any other instrument. I suppose I should rephrase the question to better suit the forum.

To all of you who get such great recordings of your acoustic guitars, if you're monitoring them when recording what cans would you suggest? There, though not entirely cleansed of the dreaded OT slime I originally slipped it under the door with, it does seem more charmed by innocent intent that before. I was wondering why I was losing sleep since posting this thread.

i think even with the headphones that packed in on you, if you listened to for example leonard cohen and his acoustic sounded just how you like it through your headphones then there is no reason why you can`t get your acoustic to sound the same through your headphones, but then it becomes your recording technique that has to shape the sound. ....i think this post now belongs in the recording section

• Members

anyone experience with Avantone Mixphones MP-1?

are they worth the money? (200eu)

i would love to have great phones for recording and mixing and those look great, altough heave...

i would avoid the akg271, we head an akg270, the sound was medicore and not neutral (no mixing phones), and while the switch which turns the phones off as soon you take it off is handy, it is error prone to fail over time and we had to abort several start of tracking, cause one side was not working :(

can also someone say something about the sure SRH840 or SRH940, commenters at Thomann seem to like them, is the 940 worth the extra 70 bucks?

• Members

FWIW, my pair of Sennheiser HD 380's arrived today.

I compared them to the HD 280's & SONY MDR 7506's

by playing Steely Dan's Dr. Wu through all 3.

The HD 380's sound thin & bright. They are uncomfortable.

They seem to have the best articulation of my headphones.

Because of the articulation & realism, the HD 380's might be really good for acoustic guitar.

I'll continue to rely on the SONY's & the HD 280s as my main cans though.

The HD 380's might be excellent for acoustic guitars though.

They're being blown out by GC at the same price as HD 280's.

• Members

Makes sense. I've heard rumors that this forum was once much, much larger. That would make it more common for folks to segregate themselves in like-minded communities. Today, I see just lots of folks posting across most of the different sub-communities and hadn't considered the ruins of fallen empires..

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

FYI: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Tascam/...-Headphones.gc on sale.

I own a set of these & use them every day. They are not accurate enough for mixing or mastering -- bass heavy.

But they are durable & they're ok for monitoring or tracking. Not only that - I take them to the gym or on trips.

I mix & record w/ SONY MDR 7506 Pro & Sennheiser HD 380 & 280 sets. But I'll always check the final mix against these cheap TASCAM cans.

• Members

Yep, they arrived today and the first thing I did was listen to the VOM1T. Replied there.

These are basic phones with decent clarity. Etienne nails my opinion of them in his post but for the money they deliver. The bass is dominating so if I record (seriously) I'd probably take time to sample others at a local store to find better balance. Or, perhaps there's something I can put up the chain to do that, not sure.

Archived