Advice on the Peavey SP4 and Peavey SP6 needed if possible.

• Members

I'm after some new tops to go on top of my EV QRX218 subs and was wondering about the Peavey SP4 and SP6 but haven't heard them. Do any of you know what kind of midrange clarity the SP6 have? I've heard they get just as loud as the JBL SRX725 but sound a bit better because the SP6 have a horn loaded midrange, any ideas? I can't afford anymore than

• Members
I'm after some new tops to go on top of my EV QRX218 subs and was wondering about the Peavey SP4 and SP6 but haven't heard them. Do any of you know what kind of midrange clarity the SP6 have? I've heard they get just as loud as the JBL SRX725 but sound a bit better because the SP6 have a horn loaded midrange, any ideas? I can't afford anymore than

• Members

Nah they're the first edition of the SR series 4731 speakers. I was thinking about if I got them, then i'd grab a mate to help me and take the carpet off them and spray paint them in tough paint resembling JBL's paint that they spray on the SRX and MRX series. Then also having full grilles made for them, there's a place where I live that does sray painting and they could cut the steel mesh to size and spray paint the mesh grille.

• Members

I just this minute check to see if i've got anymore replies and have seen that I typed in that i'm using EV QRX218 sub, god, what the hell am I thinking about :facepalm: I was looking at some QRX218 subs while I was about to start this thread and ask you guys, sorry, i've actually got 2 JBL SRX728, not QRX218, god, I didn't even notice my mistake until a minute ago.:lol: What an idiot I am.

• Members

I was wondering why you didn't just go with EV QRX stuff...

Why not stay with JBL (various PRX... choices), for looks and potential sound compatibility. Easier to sell to clients - "yes I have top of the line gear, all JBL.."

That's assuming JBL has a name in the UK.

BTW what are you using now? Woulnd't want to recommend a lateral move.

• Members

Well i've aksed shops to let me demo some JBL PRX tops with my SRX728 subs and they've all said no, so i'm not sure any PRX tops will have enough spl output, i'm pretty sure my subs will outrun any PRX tops. I know I could turn the subs down but why would I wanna do that, that defeats the idea of me getting powerful subs like the SRX728 in the first place. :lol:

• Members

I really don't mind a mismatched looking system because I would be able to take both the badges on the SRX728 subs and the Peavey SP6 off so the average party goer wouldn't be able to tell what speakers and subs they are, then the system would look better. I really can't afford the SRX722 at

• Members

You won't blow up the horns frequently if you power them appropriately and use the horns within their limits... With the PRXs, with built in protection, used sensibly they shouldnt blow too quickly :)

There was actually a lengthy discussion on a very similar topic about a guy with similar subs who was wondering about top boxes.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2705167-Need-new-top-speakers-4-jbl-mrx515-or-2-mrx525

You could say the same about the peavey's - from what i recall they are a similar wattage. I often use a pair of the SP3s. Don't get me wrong - its a good sounding box.

• Members

From what i've read on forums, quite a few people use the SRX728 subs, I think they're fantastic subs. Have you heard the SP6? If you have do they get quite a bit louder than your SP3? I spoke toJBL in britain a while ago and they said that the MRX525 horns probably ony fail when people use eq to boost the high frequency because it's a single 25 watt rms compression driver trying to keep up with 2 15" low frequency drivers. They also reccomended the SRX715 saying they'd keep not get outrun by my SRX728 subs. I wonder what would be louder between a pair of SRX715 and a pair of SP6.

• Members

The SP6 i havent heard. Havent seen it at all actually apart from on their website. It looks heavy! But Peavey and heavy seem to go well together!

I would have assumed the extra power handling (off the top of my head?) and general higher quality of the SRX box would be an advantage. In that link i posted, people far more expert than me, discussed the advantages of SRX over MRX. The SP is generally at about the level of the MRX (very different speaker though, starting with a weight factor of about 3 fold)...

• Members

The SP6 i havent heard. Havent seen it at all actually apart from on their website. It looks heavy! But Peavey and heavy seem to go well together!

I would have assumed the extra power handling (off the top of my head?) and general higher quality of the SRX box would be an advantage. In that link i posted, people far more expert than me, discussed the advantages of SRX over MRX. The SP is generally at about the level of the MRX (very different speaker though, starting with a weight factor of about 3 fold)...

JBL have just phones me back saying they've had a word with their tech guys and they say the sound quality of the SRX715 will beat the MRX525 I was thinking about but the MRX525 will give me more volume, so I guess it's beween the MRX525 and the Peavey SP6 then really.

• CMS Author

JBL SRX will beat the snot out of Peavey SP, hands down. A few dB difference between the MRX and SRX are IMO not enough to make up for the big jump in sound quality. In Peavey you'd need to move up to the QW line to compete, but they are rare and relatively unknown so resale becomes an issue.

Having said that, JBL MRX/PRX are also better than SP, and a very good value. Between MRX/PRX and old SR series, I'd go with the new stuff. The SR series is VERY long in the tooth, so repairs and replacement become much more of an issue, and cost is substantial, as well as difficulty in finding parts.

• Members

The SR series is VERY long in the tooth, so repairs and replacement become much more of an issue, and cost is substantial, as well as difficulty in finding parts.

It uses the same components as the SRX, including what may be JBL's most popular drivers, ever. So that's not really an issue. In fact, I would guess there's lower parts availability for a new SRX7 series.

But I agree it's too old for the OP's needs, especially given all that work he said he would put into them. Just get something that's right to begin with.

• Members

JBL have just phones me back saying they've had a word with their tech guys and they say the sound quality of the SRX715 will beat the MRX525 I was thinking about but the MRX525 will give me more volume, so I guess it's beween the MRX525 and the Peavey SP6 then really.

SRX certainly should beat mrx, prx or the peavey sp. Its double the price.

• Members

JBL SRX will beat the snot out of Peavey SP, hands down. A few dB difference between the MRX and SRX are IMO not enough to make up for the big jump in sound quality. In Peavey you'd need to move up to the QW line to compete, but they are rare and relatively unknown so resale becomes an issue.

Having said that, JBL MRX/PRX are also better than SP, and a very good value. Between MRX/PRX and old SR series, I'd go with the new stuff. The SR series is VERY long in the tooth, so repairs and replacement become much more of an issue, and cost is substantial, as well as difficulty in finding parts.

What would you do about the fact that the MRX525's compression driver doesn't give you enough output compared to the dual 15" low frequency drivers? I can't afford the SRX725 and even JBL have told me with drum & bass and dance music like that, that the SRX715 would sound great but it'd be outrun by my SRX728 subs. Do any of you people use MRX525 tops?

• Members

What would you do about the fact that the MRX525's compression driver doesn't give you enough output compared to the dual 15" low frequency drivers? I can't afford the SRX725 and even JBL have told me with drum & bass and dance music like that, that the SRX715 would sound great but it'd be outrun by my SRX728 subs. Do any of you people use MRX525 tops?

turn the subs down a bit and then they would no longer outrun the tops. it's better to have too much sub power than too little.

• CMS Author

Nothing gets outrun if you adjust your crossover levels. I'd call the 715/728 a good paring that will serve you well for any outdoor gigs where you'll need the additional sub support.

If you can afford SRX, that's a great choice.

• Members

It uses the same components as the SRX, including what may be JBL's most popular drivers, ever. So that's not really an issue. In fact, I would guess there's lower parts availability for a new SRX7 series.

The SRX-700 series uses completely different components than the SR4700 series. Everything is different.

• Members

turn the subs down a bit and then they would no longer outrun the tops. it's better to have too much sub power than too little.

That wouldn't really work in this case because it's not the MRX525 that gets outrun by the subs, it's just basically the compression driver in the MRX525 that get's outrun, and in that case i'd have to use eq to boost the high frequency output of the compression driver to keep up with both the dual 15" drivers in the speaker cabinets, and that'd risk blowing the compression driver. The compression driver in the MRX525 is only a 25 watt rms 1", and JBL were silly for thinking that a single 1" 25 watt rms compression driver could keep up with 2 15" low frequency drivers when playing bass heavy music. I can afford the SRX715 but JBL themselves have told me that a pair will get outrun by about 4-5db by 2 SRX728 in quarter space which is what I use the system in. If I turn the subs down by 4-5db then that's 4-5db of spl output from the subs wasted because the tops can't go loud enough.

Archived