A legend has passed - RIP Geoff Emerick

The Giles Martin remixed White Album will be released on the 9th.

Including 3 discs of outtakes and a 5.1 remix! :thu:

https://audiophilereview.com/audioph...sound-mix.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2018/music/news/the-beatles-announce-white-album-deluxe-50th-anniversary-edition-1202954236/amp/

That should be a fun listen! :music005:

Just played it today. VERY fun listen! Even Revolution #9! Lol

listening now to a 5.1 mix of Electric Ladyland that was released today also.

50 years ago this month in music was a very good time indeed!

I heard a couple of the new White Album tracks, but I haven't found the whole thing on Spotify yet - I hear the version of Good Night is a real shocker, with John playing acoustic guitar, and four part harmonies...

• Members

I heard a couple of the new White Album tracks, but I haven't found the whole thing on Spotify yet - I hear the version of Good Night is a real shocker, with John playing acoustic guitar, and four part harmonies...

That is one of the outtake versions on the 4 discs (!!) of outtakes and demos. It's a cool version for sure!

Spotify, I think, would just be playing the new stereo mixes, and I haven't listened to all of them yet, but I haven't heard anything significantly different on them. Mostly just things mixed a bit crisper. Kick drum up a bit and stuff like that.

• Members

Also included in the box set are the full "Esher Demos", which were the four of them running through all the new songs they had written while in India at George's house on his new 4-track he had just set up. Basically just acoustic guitar - and -vocal run throughs of most of the songs. But nice to hear them all having fun with the material.

Also included in the box set are the full "Esher Demos"' date=' which were the four of them running through all the new songs they had written while in India at George's house on his new 4-track he had just set up. Basically just acoustic guitar - and -vocal run throughs of most of the songs. But nice to hear them all having fun with the material. [/quote']

Are you sure the Esher demos are four track? It was around that time that George got a 3M 8 track - he actually got his a bit before Abbey Road got theirs...

I have heard a few (~3) of those demos; I did find those on Spotify.

• Members

Are you sure the Esher demos are four track? It was around that time that George got a 3M 8 track - he actually got his a bit before Abbey Road got theirs...

I have heard a few (~3) of those demos; I did find those on Spotify.

It was probably an 8-track then. I just presumed 4 because of the time period. They are interesting in that they double-tracked the lead vocals on almost every cut. Seemed an odd thing to do for a demo, but I guess they were probably just having fun with the new machine.

And I don't hear anything on it that sounds like they are really utilizing all 8 tracks. It's pretty much all just the 3 of them sitting around strumming acoustics and singing and Ringo in the background keeping time with a tambourine and on boxes or a coffee table or whatever.

• Members

It's amazing how good those original multi-tracks sound that probably haven't been touched in 50 years (other than what Giles did for the "Love" soundtrack a few years ago.)

I read somewhere (but it was second hand so I won't completely vouch for it) that he went to McCartney's house to pull the acoustic guitar bit that is just before "Bungalow Bill" off his mellotron. If that's true, that still sounds really good too for what is really just a old scrap of tape that has been sitting around for 50 years at Paul's house.

It was probably an 8-track then. I just presumed 4 because of the time period.

They very well could have been four track demos - George also had a four track. By that point, I think they all did; certainly John and Paul had home recording setups that were pretty advanced for the era.

They are interesting in that they double-tracked the lead vocals on almost every cut. Seemed an odd thing to do for a demo, but I guess they were probably just having fun with the new machine.

And I don't hear anything on it that sounds like they are really utilizing all 8 tracks. It's pretty much all just the 3 of them sitting around strumming acoustics and singing and Ringo in the background keeping time with a tambourine and on boxes or a coffee table or whatever.

Again, it's possible they were done on only four tracks. I know George purchased a 3M M23 8 track (click here to see what one looks like) in 1968, and he had his before Abbey Road had theirs - or at least before theirs were officially put into service (the studio had to do extensive mods on theirs before they were up to EMI's / Abbey Road's technical standards), but I don't know for certain what tape deck(s) were used for those demos.

• Members

It’s really cool to get inside these sessions with all the outtakes and the separation heard on the 5.1. As you probably know they did sometimes 100 takes of these songs and drove everyone so crazy that Emerick quit in frustration part way through leaving Chris Thomas to finish.

Reading a interesting interview with Martin. He said that after a month of working on the remix he realized he was getting it “too clean” and that he was making The White Album “sound like Steely Dan or Dire Straits” and then went back and started over so that the mix would retain some of that grunge that is part of what makes it The White Album.

One of the things I’ve always loved about it is that it doesn’t really sound like any other Beatles album. But I would have enjoyed hearing what the super-clean version sounded like!

Archived