A legend has passed - RIP Geoff Emerick

• Members
Obviously Geoff's work will be forever associated with the Beatles, but he did a lot of other things too, such as producing Imperial Bedroom by Elvis Costello & The Attractions...

Indeed he did.

Many of my favorite albums were favorites because I really liked the sound (especially the guitar) of the recordings. As I discovered later, they were recorded by Geoff Emerick.

"Bridge of Sighs" and "Wired" are two albums that changed my life.

• Members

Sad to hear of his passing. I knew about his work with The Beatles....Don't know why I wasn't aware of his work with Robin Trower and Jeff Beck though. I feel kinda dumb as I am a major fan to this day of both those men's work. I still listen to Trower and Beck regularly...Not to mention the Beatles.

Follows form that you'd be all up to speed on him Phil, given your own talents in the studio. Perfectly logical he'd be one of your heroes.

Perfectly logical he'd be one of your heroes.

He had a huge influence on me. I feel fortunate that I had the chance to meet him in person once and thank him.

Here's another absolutely groundbreaking recording from Geoff's discography...

[video=youtube;HuS5NuXRb5Y]

• Members

He had a huge influence on me. I feel fortunate that I had the chance to meet him in person once and thank him.

Here's another absolutely groundbreaking recording from Geoff's discography...

[video=youtube;HuS5NuXRb5Y]

Wasn't George Martin a bit PO'd bout that track? Didn't Geoff score it while George was off on another assignment? Or am I thinking of a different track?

Wasn't George Martin a bit PO'd bout that track? Didn't Geoff score it while George was off on another assignment? Or am I thinking of a different track?

No, I think you're thinking of She's Leaving Home - George Martin was unavailable and Paul was in a hurry, so he had someone else (Mike Leander) score it - something that I think kind of hurt Martin's feelings a bit, although he did produce the recording and conducted the string section.

• Members

Ah yes....I remember now. First I heard of that was a interview Giles Martin did on NPR after he'd done the remix of "Pepper" and talked a bit about it.

Now that I've had some time to live with the remix, I've come to prefer it to the original. It's also left me wishing they would revisit some of the other albums, besides "Let it Be" anyway. "Naked" was cool...But I still find myself wanting to hear the original, even with all the Spector all over it. "Naked" is cleaner, gotta give it that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
Ah yes....I remember now. First I heard of that was a interview Giles Martin did on NPR after he'd done the remix of "Pepper" and talked a bit about it.

Now that I've had some time to live with the remix, I've come to prefer it to the original. It's also left me wishing they would revisit some of the other albums, besides "Let it Be" anyway. "Naked" was cool...But I still find myself wanting to hear the original, even with all the Spector all over it. "Naked" is cleaner, gotta give it that.

The Giles Martin remixed White Album will be released on the 9th.

Including 3 discs of outtakes and a 5.1 remix! :thu:

https://audiophilereview.com/audioph...sound-mix.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2018/music/news/the-beatles-announce-white-album-deluxe-50th-anniversary-edition-1202954236/amp/

Archived