Pa Noob here. Tell me if i'm on the right train of thought.

• Members

So i'm in my first cover band and we're looking into putting a pa together. Of course we're poor so our budget, for now, is around $800. For now the pa will be used for vocals at practice and small house parties. Id also like to upgrade down the road so we have a capable system for bar gigs. My thinking is to buy good speakers now to use as mains and later on as monitors once we can afford better mains. Maybe add a powered sub. Specificaly i'm looking at a pair of Yamaha club c112's for $350 and a Mackie PPM608 powered mixer for $275. Both used. With whats left of our budget i'l need to pickup two more mic stands and speaker stands. Idk about the Mackie. I may just find a dirt cheap behringer powered mixer to use until we need a better sounding board and amp for shows. Any input is apreciated. I know this is a rediculously tight budget for pa but i gotta work with what i'v got.

• Members

I see Yamaha Clubs with a Mackie 808 (not 608) used all the time around here for typical bar bands. Depending on how loud the musicians play, many times it's barely adequate. The other times it just doesn't cut it. Just use it within it's limitations. The Club 12's will make great monitors down the line.

• Members

Will the C112's be able to keep up with a pair of subs? Should i be looking for a more powerful speaker?

Thats a fairly open question... they'd certainly be able to keep up with subs of an equivalent sort of level of quality.

Check out the Yamaha powered mixers too - you'd get one of them second hand here in australia for that price (our gear prices are way higher) and yamaha is pretty solid... i've had good luck with their stuff and many others on here say the same.

• Members

I'd go with the Yamaha powered mixer over Mackie or Behringer if you can find the 300 or 500 watt model used. I think they are a better powered mixer. The Yammie Club 12 V series cannot take quite as much power as the 15's, but sound fair for vocals and micing acoustic instruments. They'll make fairly good monitors later on. When you're ready to step up to a live performance rig, you'll need subs, a good mixer and some good FOH tops, not to mention microphones and cables. When that time comes, come back and get some info and suggestions on what would be best for that.

• Members

The usual advice around here is to go with powered speakers and a passive mixer for simple rigs. That mixer doesn't offer any kind of upgrade path and really doesn't have enough power for band use. Don't be taken in by the marketing literature. This is its real power from the spec sheet. "Average output power @ 8 ohms: 2 x 150 W rms, 1% THD"

That combination would get you through controlled rehearsal, but I think you'd find yourself out of gas at a gig.

Archived