Powered Speakers Revisted - for me anyways

• Members

Last year I got a pair of QSC K10s, which have so far worked very well for me. The initial plan was to upgrade my mains and use those for monitors (four piece rock band at moderate volumes in rooms of 100-250 people).

I am to the point where I am in real need of a powered monitor for vocals as we have been able to start booking better rooms (for the most part I've only needed to bring a PA to small shows where a monitor wasn't all that necessary).

Originally, I was going to get a pair of JBL PRX5 or PRX6 12" powered speakers. However, now that NAMM has come and gone, I thought I'd check in to see the following:

1. Are the K10s really not going to work as mains for vocals, guitar, and harmonica? I can't think of anywhere I would need to bring a PA that I will be playing that would be more than 300 people and really loud.

2. Should I hold off for a bit to see how the new powered speakers on the market play out?

3. Are there any new offerings that would work for a monitor with the K10s as mains that are under $500 (if not, then I might as well pay more than $500 for a better set of mains).

***edit: I have posed this similar scenario before, but the influx of EV, Peavey, RCF clearance, and other affordable options has me confused again. Thanks for your patience. I am just excited I figured out how to use my mixer and bought some lights, lol.

• Members

1. Are the K10s really not going to work as mains for vocals, guitar, and harmonica? I can't think of anywhere I would need to bring a PA that I will be playing that would be more than 300 people and really loud.

2. Should I hold off for a bit to see how the new powered speakers on the market play out?

3. Are there any new offerings that would work for a monitor with the K10s as mains that are under $500 (if not, then I might as well pay more than $500 for a better set of mains).

1. Are you using subs? I think the K10s CAN work with subs for those size rooms but it might be pushing them right to their limit.

2. I suggest you buy the best you can get right now and don't worry about what might come next. There will ALWAYS be a next and the longer you wait, the longer you will wait. Absolutely nothing wrong with many of the currently shipping speakers. Get them now and use them. Eventually you will need to upgrade/replace but waiting to see what is coming around the corner will not necessarily be worth the wait.

3. In my opinion, the K10s would make great monitors. Switch them to monitor duty and pick up the best tops you can for FOH. Someday you may want to look into IEMs. They would be awesome for a group like yours. You might want to at least look into that possibility.

• Members

Thanks! Currently, I am without subs. In general, though, we are just starting to play some rooms where I will need to look at getting subs. However, a monitor for myself is priority number one. What I will likely do is get one that will eventually become a main...but the options are a bit overwhelming.

I've looked at Yorkville, EV, JBL, RCF, QSC...not sure what to get. Obviously, cost is a factor and it would appear that $500-700 new could net me a lot of speaker. I think the QSC K12 will not be what I go with. I was sold on getting a used PRX512m, but the new EV speaker at $600 seems like a great idea. I have no clue about the other new powered mains.

Any help with what would be an upgrade? I am not looking at anything like the QSC KW series as I just have too much stuff I need to buy - like a sub or two - and I am fairly confident that we will cap out at rooms between 200 and 300 absolute MAX. We are a coverband, but I don't think we will crack the top tier around here and I am personally paying for all the gear...

Around here, at the clubs I am calling with no PA/Lights, bands are bringing in anywhere from full light shows with full PAs to no lights and just powering vocals. I want to be in the middle.

• Members

http://www.proaudiostar.com/yorkville-nx25p-powered-speaker.html

Don't let the comparatively low wattage stop you. We use one as a monitor and it's very loud and clear.

• Members

I am stuck at a mains upgrade again. I thought the PRX612 would be a speaker for mains, but what about the RCF 312a? EV ELX112p? Others that I am missing? I am hoping to find something for under $1,000 a speaker. We do mainly $5-600 gigs where we would need to bring a PA 2-5 times a month. We are not playing for crowds much more than 100-150 currently (but I don't want to get something too small if we need more). I still need to get subs too.

I could just worry about a monitor and subs for now and get different mains if the gigs get bigger, but I honestly don't have the time to get "bigger" gigs booked.

• Members

Ok, a buddy of mine who plays country-rock in a full-time band said they always rent out sound. Room size is 150-400 people when they need to rent. He said they almost always use 12" or 15" mains over subs - a pair of each - and floor wedges. Me thinks I might just get a monitor for now and start shopping for subs. No way I need the firepower they do. My gigs might be 200 people tops where I need to bring sound and we are pretty much weekend warriors.

Someone tell me I am smart or why I am an idiot for thinking this, lol. Looking at maybe a RCF due to the price point?

• Members

A single good quality sub will do more for your sound then just switching out the tops. Of course, that is my opinion and I am the bassist :thu:.

Try just adding a good sub (not talking JRX here) and crossover (if needed) to your K10s will make a huge sonic difference. For harp I'd still like a bigger monitor (15" maybe) but pick up another K10 and something like a PRX sub and the difference in the sound and perception of the sound will blow people away.

• Members

+1 on one GOOD powered sub. That's all we ever need and I'd really only ever want another just as a backup or to use as a stand to minimize the stage footprint of the other mains speaker. Honestly, in some narrower rooms we get by with just one top over one sub for FOH... crowds of 100-150.

• Members

A single good quality sub will do more for your sound then just switching out the tops. Of course, that is my opinion and I am the bassist
:thu:

Try just adding a good sub (not talking JRX here) and crossover (if needed) to your K10s will make a huge sonic difference. For harp I'd still like a bigger monitor (15" maybe) but pick up another K10 and something like a PRX sub and the difference in the sound and perception of the sound will blow people away.

Excellent advice there bro just by adding one sub makes a huge difference. I used the one sub set for almost a year straight until I had enough to finally get a pair.

As for blues harp if it were me I would use little combo amp mic-ed up.

To my ears, the harp sounds bitchin' and make me wwanna play harp. :lol:

• Members

Wait a sec - Are you just guitar, harmonica, and vocals? If so a sub is a complete waste and could actually muddy up the sound. If you have nothing you need 100 Hz and lower for, then you don't need a sub.

His band has guitar, bass and drums. They cover AC/DC, Beatles, Black Crowes, Blues Traveler, Cheap Trick, Dave Matthews Band, Gnarles Barkley, Ben Harper, Jimi Hendrix, Jett, BobMarley, Maroon 5, Jason Mraz, John Mayer, Kings of Leon, Pearl Jam, Tom Petty, Police, Radiohead, Rolling Stones, Santana, Steppen Wolf, Sublime, Train, U2, the Violent Femmes, and MANY MORE!

Definitely could use the sub...

• Members

His band has guitar, bass and drums. They cover AC/DC, Beatles, Black Crowes, Blues Traveler, Cheap Trick, Dave Matthews Band, Gnarles Barkley, Ben Harper, Jimi Hendrix, Jett, BobMarley, Maroon 5, Jason Mraz, John Mayer, Kings of Leon, Pearl Jam, Tom Petty, Police, Radiohead, Rolling Stones, Santana, Steppen Wolf, Sublime, Train, U2, the Violent Femmes, and MANY MORE!

Definitely could use the sub...

Agreed - Curiously only guitar, harmonica and vocals were mentioned as needing reinforcement. That's why I asked.

• Members

I didn't mention bass and drums because I know I need a sub for that. I am just torn about if ishould get a monitor to use as a monitor or a future main to use as a monitor.

The new EV offering looks great, but I am unsure of my next move but want a monitor asap. I have two exceptional harp amps, so no worries there.

• Members

The sub would make the sound better out front, but monitors will likely have you playing better because you can hear yourself. If you only have the money for one or the other and can't hear yourself then I'd recommend mains so you can use the QSC's for monitors. As for mains to buy., the best bang for the buck appears, on paper anyway, to be the new EV line, but I'm not sure they are available yet. JBL PRX 612M's can be had for $630, so only $30 more than the EV's.

• Members

So if the next step up from the K10s is way different than the PRX etc like suggested here, http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2733937-RCF-ART-312A-or-PRX612M, what's the best bang for the buck vocal/harmonica monitor? The harp is miked FOH, so really, just something that doesn't color the tone too much. Anything to be had for $600 or less?

We're talking one show a week with small amps and an average volume rock drummer. It would be cool if the monitor could handle a modeler or my Line 6 M13 so I could run harp without an amp sometimes. Thanks!

• Members

Cheaper than that here:

You'll have to e-mail for the best price.

I've found it's sometimes the case. Depends on where you live and what all you order as shipping is added. You can get a login for max discount pricing. I did it and used a MN zip code. I can't tell you the price since I had to agree not to share pricing publicly, but it would be worth a call. I've purchased several things from them, including an M2 IEM system recently - ridiculously good price.

• Members

Excellent price for the PRX12m. That being said, am I really going to get a second one for FOH and use the K10's and monitors? It sounds like now that it wouldn't make much difference. I could get a Titan 12 or ART 312a for less, keep the 10's as monitors, and put the difference towards a sub..

Archived