Blueberry Mic Repair

RGx2

• Members

I Bought a used Blueberry mic off Craigslist for a good price. It has two issues. One is excessive noise when touching he body. I fixed that by taking off the two screws at the bottom, cleaning the paint out of the those two screw holes and tightening all of the screws on the body.

One issue remains. The mic makes a little noise when it's tilted left and right. I pulled the head basket off the capsule by removing the four top screws. I noticed the capsule is a bit loose on the stand. I used some hot glue to stop it from wobbling. However, that did not fix the problem.

I would like to remove the mic from it's body for some inspection. With the head basket removed, you find some glue on the corners of the pcb board that help hold it against the case. The glue will have to be removed. After that, do you just pull the board out from the XLR end, assuming you have already removed the six outside screws on the mic body?

Thanks,

Russel

I Bought a used Blueberry mic off Craigslist for a good price. It has two issues. One is excessive noise when touching he body. I fixed that by taking off the two screws at the bottom, cleaning the paint out of the those two screw holes and tightening all of the screws on the body.

One issue remains. The mic makes a little noise when it's tilted left and right. I pulled the head basket off the capsule by removing the four top screws. I noticed the capsule is a bit loose on the stand. I used some hot glue to stop it from wobbling. However, that did not fix the problem.

I would like to remove the mic from it's body for some inspection. With the head basket removed, you find some glue on the corners of the pcb board that help hold it against the case. The glue will have to be removed. After that, do you just pull the board out from the XLR end, assuming you have already removed the six outside screws on the mic body?

Thanks,

Russel

I've never taken a Blueberry apart. Most mics don't rely on glue, but rather screws to hold everything together.

IMO, your best bet is to contact Blue and either have it serviced by them, or see if they can offer you tips on DIY repair.

https://www.bluedesigns.com/contact/

• Members

I've never taken a Blueberry apart. Most mics don't rely on glue, but rather screws to hold everything together.

IMO, your best bet is to contact Blue and either have it serviced by them, or see if they can offer you tips on DIY repair.

https://www.bluedesigns.com/contact/

No doubt it's mostly the screws that hold it in place. Not sure of the purpose for the glue. I've seen other people mention it before and saying you must take it off to get to the PCB.

The fix probably would be easy if I could open the case. However, I will probably end up contacting Blue for the fix.

• Members

Success! No more problems with the mic.

I couldn't find any photos or info online on how to take the PCB board out, other than someone said you have to remove the glue at the top of the board. I decided to stumble through and it turned out to be easy.

The procedure I did was:

- Removed the two screws at the bottom of the mic.

- Removed the four shock mount posts on the side of the mic. This probably isn't necessary, but why take a chance.

- Removed the four screws on the head basket. Carefully pulled the head basket of the body. Do it slowly because there is not a lot of room between the capsule and the inside of the grill.

- Cut off the hot glue at the four corners of the PCB board. See the picture below. Note, none of the screws are holding the top of the PCB board. That is why Blue is using glue.

- Carefully push the top of the PCB board towards the bottom of the mic. The whole assembly, including the capsule, will slide out. Hint: Push the PCB board from the back side of the mic, not the front. That way the force is mostly applied to the length of the board and not to the top part that you are actually pushing.

Here is a picture of my first attempt to fix the problem. The capsule didn't seem to be attached firmly to the stand, so I used some hot glue to keep it form wobbling. It stopped wobbling, but the noise was still there.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tBlueberry A.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t252.5 KB ID:\t32354543","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32354543","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

So, I had to proceed with taking the PCB board out. Once it was out I saw the bottom of the capsule mounting post had a screw holding everything together. I removed the hot glue that I put at the bottom of the capsule first. The screw didn't really seem loose, but I tightened it more anyway. No more wobble.

I put it back together (don't forget to glue the corners) and now the mic works perfect. It's a great sounding mic.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tBlueberry B.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t286.8 KB ID:\t32354544","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32354544","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Hot glue, silicone glue, and epoxy are is commonly used in electronic construction because they are non conductive. I use the hot glue all the time when repairing guitar cables. After soldering a new jack on I'll seal the connections with some hot glue. This makes then twice as durable and much less likely to pull apart when a cord gets yanked. The hot glue works much better then electrical tape when splicing wires too.

You find hot glue or silicone securing parts to boards all the time. Heavy parts which would simply rip out of the board when dropped or bumped use the glue to keep them from moving and add the extra grip they need. Anyplace construction requires things to be secure it works pretty good up to a point. The hot glue remains soft so It doesn't bond permanently with most materials and can either be peeled away of melted. Epoxy and Silicone tend to be more permanent because they chemically bond and become much harder.

Archived