Guild F-512 reissue potential problems?

DeepEnd

• Members

I'm on the Guild email list and today I received the announcement that the F-512 is back in production: https://guildguitars.com/g/f-512-atb/. BTW, the link is to the sunburst version; a natural version is available too. While I was reading the description, this line stuck out:

Braced with delicate, scalloped Adirondack spruce,

Isn't "delicate, scalloped" bracing out of place on a 12-string? I've never had the privilege of owning one but the old Guild 12-strings were built like tanks. I foresee structural issues down the road and with a MSRP of $4750 I don't want a guitar that's "delicate." Anyone care to venture an opinion?

• Members

USA Guilds are built like a tank.

If there is a problem with them you will not know for 25 or 30 years.

They may list out for 5 grand, but for about 3600 you can own one.

Not bad.

That's what SRV played back in the day when he did MTV Unplugged.

[video=youtube;FQ_DdgxRSak]

:rawk::thu: Killer tune.

[video=youtube;iLDvl9qee9E]

My only 12 string is one of these in jet glo.

[video=youtube;2nUrEMP4n_I]

[video=youtube;zqg6JLZVtO4]

Now a totally different animal tone than the Guild is a 12 string is the Martin HD12-28. Still good.

[video=youtube;Haff7420bbo]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"M18HD1228-P.fpx?cvt=jpg.jpg","data-attachmentid":32348047}[/ATTACH]

• Members

I owned the F412 for a number of years. The back was not braced because it was molded (coined) maple laminate that was inherently strong like a true monocoque structure. The top eventually began bellying and I installed a bridge doctor. The neck joint never budged and the twin truss rods kept it true. The BD contraption was a huge compromise because the sympathetic courses lost much of their break angle, impairing their volume in the mix, though it did restore the geometry of the top. So, I would agree with you on the bracing. That's its Achilles heel.

• Members

Since I have not seen the insides of a new Guild 12 string (or their specifications) I can't really comment on how they are braced. However, I do have plans that were suppossedly taken from a Guild which shows the braces as 5/16 and mildly scalloped. That is similar to my old Martin D12-28 and basically what I used when I built my OM 12. Taylor typically uses 5/16 braces but slightly thicker tops and adds a third tone bar. An interesting side note, when Leo Kottke started playing Taylors he took a pocket knife to the braces, the Kottke sig model has deeply scalloped braces for its characteristic low tuning.

IMG_2024.jpg

Guild still have dovetail neck joints - their double truss rods help keep the neck itself under control but they still need resets just like any other guitar. They break if they are dropped

IMG_3435_zpsazbkpqbs.jpg

If I was in the market for a 12 string, a new Guild would be high on my list. I wouldn't be worried about the bracing - the fact that they still offer a lifetime warranty means Guild isn't too worried either.

• Members
Since I have not seen the insides of a new Guild 12 string (or their specifications) I can't really comment on how they are braced. However, I do have plans that were suppossedly taken from a Guild which shows the braces as 5/16 and mildly scalloped. That is similar to my old Martin D12-28 and basically what I used when I built my OM 12. . . .

. . . If I was in the market for a 12 string, a new Guild would be high on my list. I wouldn't be worried about the bracing - the fact that they still offer a lifetime warranty means Guild isn't too worried either.

Thanks for the clarification. :thu: If the new Guilds are anything similar to the plans you cited they'll probably be fine. It's just that the word "delicate" threw me a curve. Plus, you've commented before that scalloped braces don't belong on a 12-string.

Archived